OTA Questions

RamenKing

Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding to OTA networks. I am new to Voom and I need some recommendations.

1. When I scanned for my local channels, the receiver picked up 27 channels with signal strength of 91 or better. However, when I tried to view those channels, half of them reported No Signal. Out of the ones I can watch, many channels would consistency flip in and out of No Signal state every few minutes. I called my installer and he told me that 91 is really strong signal and I shouldn't have this problem. Any recommendation on what I can check?

2. I was never able to receive any OTA network on my TV upstairs. I was told by my installer that it is because I am using cable modem upstairs and the cable does not have enough bandwidth to carry satellite signal, cable modem signal and the OTA signal. This did not sound right to me. If the cable can carry cable modem and 120 channels of satellite signal, why would 27 OTA channels push it over the edge? Also, if I am exceeding the bandwidth, I would assume all 3 services to suffer at the same time. Afterall, the coax cable would not be able to pick which signal it wants to carry, right? Just wanted to double check my logic before I respond to my installer.

Thanks!

Everett

Welcome to the forum!

RamenKing said:
1. the receiver picked up 27 channels with signal strength of 91 or better. ... Out of the ones I can watch, many channels would consistency flip in and out of No Signal state every few minutes. I called my installer and he told me that 91 is really strong signal and I shouldn't have this problem. Any recommendation on what I can check?
91 is not bad for OTA, but the fact that they consistency flip in and out is definitely not good! ;) Could be some multi-pass interference, or something else. I would make the installer come over and troubleshoot it.

2. I was never able to receive any OTA network on my TV upstairs. I was told by my installer that it is because I am using cable modem upstairs and the cable does not have enough bandwidth to carry satellite signal, cable modem signal and the OTA signal. This did not sound right to me. If the cable can carry cable modem and 120 channels of satellite signal, why would 27 OTA channels push it over the edge? Also, if I am exceeding the bandwidth, I would assume all 3 services to suffer at the same time. Afterall, the coax cable would not be able to pick which signal it wants to carry, right?
I am not sure I understand how you are setup there... Are you trying to combine OTA and cable signals on one connection? You should not do that! OTA and cable are sharing the same frequencies!

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum!

91 is not bad for OTA, but the fact that they consistency flip in and out is definitely not good! ;) Could be some multi-pass interference, or something else. I would make the installer come over and troubleshoot it.

I am not sure I understand how you are setup there... Are you trying to combine OTA and cable signals on one connection? You should not do that! OTA and cable are sharing the same frequencies!

I am not sure what the installer did exactly. I am just repeating what he told me :confused: After he installed 2 receiver in my house, the downstairs receiver can receive OTA networks but upstairs one cannot. He told me the reason for that is because the cable cannot carry all the signal to the upstairs receiver. I don't quite understand his explanation and that's why I am hoping to find some enlightment here.

I talked to Voom about both issues. They don't know why I cannot get OTA on 2nd receiver either. For OTA signal inconsistency, Voom recommended a larger antenna. I will give that a shot and hopefully it'll resolve the issue.

By the way, what is multi-pass interference and how do you troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

Ok, I think what your installer did, he used one of your existing cables (the one you use for cable modem, I guess) to pass the satellite signal to your receiver upstairs. He saved himself some time by doing that. As a result, you are not getting OTA upstairs. Your installer was supposed to provide OTA signal to both receivers, but he didn't! You shouldn't have accepted such installation. Call VOOM and request this or another installer to come over and finish the job!

DO NOT ACCEPT PARTIAL INSTALLATIONS!

Ilya said:
Ok, I think what your installer did, he used one of your existing cables (the one you use for cable modem, I guess) to pass the satellite signal to your receiver upstairs. He saved himself some time by doing that. As a result, you are not getting OTA upstairs. Your installer was supposed to provide OTA signal to both receivers, but he didn't! You shouldn't have accepted such installation. Call VOOM and request this or another installer to come over and finish the job!

DO NOT ACCEPT PARTIAL INSTALLATIONS!

I wish I could. I have asked Voom several times about giving me a different installer but they keep on sending the same one over. I am thinking that he may be the only one serving this region.

I was supposed to get a new receiver as replacement too but instead I got a refurbished one from the installer.

Quite hopeless.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)