OTA reception and wind

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Would gusty wind cause problems for OTA reception? I've adjusted my antena right after install and had no problems, but now with the spring winds I've had to re-adjust my antena once, and even still I'm getting massive jumps in OTA quality from 80 down to the teens. Could it be wind swaying my stealth or the broadcast tower?

This sounds like the wind is definitely affecting your OTA reception. Make sure the antenna and mast assembly is tight, and check the coax connector for tightness. Other than that, it doesn't seem like there are too many options. Some people have had success with an amplified antenna installed in the attic, where the antenna would not be affected by the elements.

Mine is installed outside on the roof. Been through major wind, rain, snow, blinding blizzards--all without the variation in signal being reported.

I second that Stone Man. I upgraded my antenna to a Channelmaster 4228 and have it installed in my attic and unampified. So far its been working great through some storms too.

Just a slight twisting of the antenna on the mast, or the mast in its holders will cause all kind of problems with the digitals. Be sure that everything is tight and that you can't twist by hand. If you have 2-5' masts coupled, there can be a slight amount of twist where they join also. If that be the case, run a sheet metal screw thru them.

I am surrounded by large trees and high winds do mess up my reception. I think the trees blowing around cause more mulipath for me.

Interesting. So it's the antenna moving and not the stuff between the antenna and the tower? My antenna is pointed directly at a forest. My house is on the north side of a small valley and it is filled with 100+ yr old oaks and most of my stations are almost due south. My signal varies wildly when the wind blows +/- 30 points every second or two. Most OTA is unwatchable during that time. I had always assumed it was the oaks in front of the antenna swaying that was causing the problem.

On a related note: how far from the satellite dish can I move the antenna? I was thinking of moving it to a spot where the forest is less thick, approximately 20 feet from the sat dish. would that be ok?

Tomerillin said:
On a related note: how far from the satellite dish can I move the antenna? I was thinking of moving it to a spot where the forest is less thick, approximately 20 feet from the sat dish. would that be ok?

You can put the antenna anywhere you want. The satellite and antenna are independent of each other.

Strong wind is a pain for me. My roof-top antenna (a big one, not the stealth) isn't attached to the pole very tightly so very strong winds will turn it around and make me lose reception. I can turn it back using a hook/pole that I have but it's on a part of the roof that's too scary for me to go on to tightrn the bolts.

I'm thinking of calling Voom to re-peak my dish (low signals but my picture is fine) and then asking them to also tighten the antenna.

I think the wind has been affecting my stealth antenna. Watching FOX last night I had a few drops where the picture would freeze and the sound would cut out. I really wish it would work like the old fashioned analog broadcasts and antennas where the picture would go but you'd still be able to make out the sound. At least then I wouldn't miss any plot! I checked the antenna signal last night after a drop and it was around 60-70. My antenna is pointing squarely at a tree in my front yard. I don't know if that's affecting it or not. Those of you that have antennas in the attic, how far from the towers are you? I'm about 33 miles so I'm not sure how well an indoor antenna would work for me.

compurocker,

My antenna is in the attic and I am not using an amp. I am about 20 - 25miles from my local towers.

Ominous1 said:
Would gusty wind cause problems for OTA reception? I've adjusted my antena right after install and had no problems, but now with the spring winds I've had to re-adjust my antena once, and even still I'm getting massive jumps in OTA quality from 80 down to the teens. Could it be wind swaying my stealth or the broadcast tower?

Wind has always affected my reception in the 2 1/2 years that I have had digital OTA reception (I began getting HD reception OTA when I got HD D* box in the fall of 2001, and I switched to Voom about a month ago). I live only about 5 miles from most my local transmitters, so signal strength is no problem, but the antenna (an older one, not a stealth) is very sensitive to slight changes in direction. I need to use a rotor to adjust for various local stations. When the wind kicks up, I find I will have to readjust the position again. And when it gets really windy, I find I get occasional dropouts -- I have always assumed that it was caused by the antenna swaying back and forth in the wind. The Voom box is actually better in this regard than my old D* box. For me, the OTA receiver on the Voom box is better than what I had before. But I definitely have some wind issues.

compurocker said:
I think the wind has been affecting my stealth antenna. Watching FOX last night I had a few drops where the picture would freeze and the sound would cut out. I really wish it would work like the old fashioned analog broadcasts and antennas where the picture would go but you'd still be able to make out the sound. At least then I wouldn't miss any plot! I checked the antenna signal last night after a drop and it was around 60-70. My antenna is pointing squarely at a tree in my front yard. I don't know if that's affecting it or not. Those of you that have antennas in the attic, how far from the towers are you? I'm about 33 miles so I'm not sure how well an indoor antenna would work for me.

Compu, I'm about 5 - 10 miles further west of you and used to have an antenna in the attic (of a 2 story house). I never had drops ever on any of the Chicago digitals EXCEPT for CBS. That was totally hit-or-miss. I now have the Voom supplied (powered by the injector) steath on my roof and still never have dropout on any channel except for CBS. The CBS drops are much less frequent though now that it's higher up and on the roof. On a somwhat related note, I also have found that certain electronic devices in my house cause me to lose the CBS signal. Whenever we turn on our computer's LCD monitor, wham! CBS goes out. As soon as you turn it off, it comes back. I guess the low VHF frequencies (DT-3) are really effected by electrical interference.