Ota Recordings

Seadoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
It seems that OTA recordings work for some 921s and not for others. Does anybody have a proceedure or secret to follow for OTA recordings? My 921 turns on and it acts like it is recording. When I go to channel it has REC on it. When I check in menu after time it shows 0 min with no recording. How do I hold my tongue to get this to work?

Markdl:

That is right I never get a timed OTA recording. The recorder is on with red light on. When I check channel it looks like it is recording, but as soon as time goes off and I check recording it saids 0 time and nothing recording

Seadoo, where are you located, and do you have trick play functionality on some or all of your OTA channels?

MARK:

I live in Tri-Cities TN. I dont know what trick play is? COuld you explain. Thanks

Trick play = fast forward, rewind, skip forward, skip back, pause, slow motion forward and reverse, frame advance forward, frame advance reverse. :)

markdl said:
Trick play = fast forward, rewind, skip forward, skip back, pause, slow motion forward and reverse, frame advance forward, frame advance reverse. :)

Mark:

I can do all those things with OTA. The thing I can't do is timed record. The timer turns on, it appears as if it is recording, but at the end of the time it shows 0 sec recorded and it tells me nothing has been recorded. I can manually record channel but not with timer. I have tried protecting recording in the thought that it was being erased right after recording and that did not help. I have also tried leaving it on the timed record channel with no difference.

Any suggestions short of a software fix? If others can do timed record on OTA why can't I? Hardware problem?

Honestly, I have no idea why you can't do a timed recording of OTA. It makes no sense to me that it would be software, because just about everyone else isn't having the level of your problem.

How exactly are you setting up your OTA timers? Please list step by step, button press by button press what you're doing.

Mark: Here is what I do.

MENU
7 Timers
CREATE
SELECT Channel #
Select M-F Grequency
Select Timer
Start Timers 1230P
End Timers 0200P
CREATE
Done

This actually shows REC during the recording period but nothing appears. I cant believe OTR Time recordings is working for everyone else. What is your sequence for doing this?

Bad assumption on my part. I have only tried this with one channel. I will try it with another channel tonight. If it is the broadcast signal, is that a software issue with 921 that it cant recognize all signals?

I have 2 stations out of 9 that won't record (timed or live pause). I"m hoping they get it figured out before the fall season starts.

Ok I tried a different channel and it worked. Does anybody know what is the characteristic about the channels that don’t work that is the problem?

I talked with an adv tech rep and she said that this had not been documented as a bug. She said she would research it and somebody would call back.

It's a very well-known bug. Check out the Official Dish DVR-921 Support Forum over at DBSTalk.

If I remember right, it seems to have something to do with PSIP or lack thereof - but don't quote me - I don't have OTA and so don't pay a lot of attention to it's bugs.

It's also well-known that Dish CSRs can't spell 921.

SIMPLESIMON: Thanks for reference. Ill keep quiet since this seems to be well documented. Although it does seem that there are more than few references to CBS OTA problems.

Well the Advanced TSR promptly followed up and took down description of problem. She said that she would research and get back to me shortly. Later that pm she called back and said that indeed I was dealing with a known bug. It had something to do with the signal being sent out by the local station. It seemed to be more prevelant to CBS stations. She said that it might be the 3rd - 4th quarter before it was fixed since there were so many potential signal variations that they were having to deal with. She left me her number and told me to call her back personally if I had any more problems or questions.

Certainly from the TSR view I could't have asked for a better response (bad software not withstanding and their ability to fix it). My 921 is doing most things I want now other than timed recording of CBS (will be nice when I dont have to do manual timers on the rest).

All I can say is I certainly appreciate the pioneers that went before me to get us to this point. There still is a long way to go, but I am sticking it out for now.

Seadoo - what is your problem station? Call letters, channel, psip remapped channel, website, and contact information for the chief engineer would all be helpful, if you can get it.

Thanks

At least you guys get OTA, I'm lucky if I can tune in an OTA even once a week. Any other time is signal not found.

Recording OTA, what a joke!

Thank god, sat recording has been flawless for me, or I would have dumped this unit a long time ago. I'm hoping the next software upgrade will solve my OTA signal problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)