OTA Sans are not save in the hopper3.

Bruce Allen Dew

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
Fl
Had to do rescan for ch 9 after it was moved and after scan it shows that it is in the list of channels on right side as being in guide. So then I click to save but it does not get put in the guide nor will hopper go to ch 9. When initially installed the tech had to get help because he said a recent upgrade to the H3 caused a problem with the ota save. Does anyone know the sequence needed to get it to save the channels. He moved them to left, back to right, or something like that. Thanks

Reactions: CyberSpock
Following. I was going to do a rescan because of the May 1st repack. I will hold off now. FYI the final repack is July 3rd 2020

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

And the pain of the OTA scan being inconsistent. One scan returns like 140 channels. Then the next scan 180, but STILL missing the ONE channel I want. Then the next scan 150, and then the next 120, and then the next 155, then the next 160 and ON and ON and ON loing and gaining even VERY STRONG channels with each subsequent scan. I am just interested in the channels I will watch/want and am willing to receive a lower channel count missing channels I have no interest in receiving. Sometimes it can take over 10 scans until I find it acceptable, and even now, there is just ONE channel I would like to receive. It seems that the Hopper 3 scans a bit too fast, IMHO. And BTW, with the re-pack here resulting in fewer frequencies, I have observed a channel count INCREASE back to the all time previous high of about 179/180 channels. I believe there are a lot more sub-channels than before with those services haveing moved to new broadcasters after the re-pack.

And the pain of the OTA scan being inconsistent. One scan returns like 140 channels. Then the next scan 180, but STILL missing the ONE channel I want. Then the next scan 150, and then the next 120, and then the next 155, then the next 160 and ON and ON and ON loing and gaining even VERY STRONG channels with each subsequent scan. I am just interested in the channels I will watch/want and am willing to receive a lower channel count missing channels I have no interest in receiving. Sometimes it can take over 10 scans until I find it acceptable, and even now, there is just ONE channel I would like to receive. It seems that the Hopper 3 scans a bit too fast, IMHO. And BTW, with the re-pack here resulting in fewer frequencies, I have observed a channel count INCREASE back to the all time previous high of about 179/180 channels. I believe there are a lot more sub-channels than before with those services haveing moved to new broadcasters after the re-pack.
180???????

I get 18.... lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tvland1
We need his antenna..I get 58 and thought that was damn good..lol
It’s not the antenna, it is being in the Los Angeles market. While there are a fair number of English Language main and sub channels, the vast majority are foreign language channels with a healthy number of foreign language religious channels, and yet there are still a few Main OTA channels I can NOT get (due to “First Effect”) along with a number of low power channels, but I do manage to get a few low power channels, as well, and there are a number of channels that are in the LA DMA but not on Mt Wilson or just down the road Mt. Harvard where my antenna is aimed, but those other channels not on Wilson or Harvard are not worth the bother of getting a second antenna to receive except for KVCR the PBS member station in San Bernardino (the Inland Empire), but that is provided by Dish LIL in HD, so I get KVCR that way, so the real count is likely more than 180 channels. And BTW, lists published on the Internet of LA stations are often NOT up to date because it is so dynamic with sub-channel services moving to other channel assignments and some no longer offered (gone bust), but often replaced with other services.

What is interesting is that long ago foreign language channels in Los Angeles were by far mostly Spanish, but since about the 1990’s (the large Asian influx started in the 1980's) it was the Asian language OTA channels that were the majority, and today Asian language channels/services dominate the foreign language channel count with Korean, Vietnamese and several dialects of Chinese being the most popular. Broadly speaking that would be China and Southeast Asia considered the “Asian” language OTA services. There are other foregn languages represented (largest Iranian population outside of Iran, and Armenian and more), but not as many nor as lucrative as the "Asian" languages channels/services.

Now we get channel 45 Main OTA beIN Sports Xtra, an English language service that has some decent content of traditional and eSports, and that was the ONE channel my H3 could simply NOT populate that I wanted (and eventually gave up because I would lose CBS or NBC or some other really good OTA channel in the attempts), although the signal strength for 45 is sufficient—and remember, the stupid H3 can LOSE even EXTREMELY powerful OTA’s with 100% signal strength in some channel scans.

Again, I wonder if the H3 is scanning TOO FAST and ends up dropping some channels that it IS capable of getting. I have to say that TiVo channel scan is far more reliable from the Series 3 to even the Roamio. Also, I prefer how the TiVo DVR will notify you with a message of NEW channels either being discovered or moved, especially when a SERVICE moves to a new channel. And yes, we need that ADD CHANNELS option that was on the ViP's to be added to the H3, but I know that will never be part of the H3.

I do agree that a good antenna can make a difference, and LOTS Of HEIGHT. Happy TV watching while I tune in to that somewhat low production value and nutty Localish channel on ABC OTA Sub-channels. They should just air the stuff as originally aired in that city and quit trying to patch stuff together. Localish Houston seems to be aired as originally broadcast (and surprisingly low production value for America’s 4th largest city), and Localish channel should just air Eye On LA as originally broadcast because it is a MUCH better production and better flow than culling parts of it and repackaging it with new, but inferior host and cheaper introductions that lack the Eye On LA high production value. Localish can be deathly boring with its low energy, SLOW, sometimes not-interesting details and junior college student-like hosts. I know way to long a post. Sorry, and bye.

Had to do rescan for ch 9 after it was moved and after scan it shows that it is in the list of channels on right side as being in guide. So then I click to save but it does not get put in the guide nor will hopper go to ch 9. When initially installed the tech had to get help because he said a recent upgrade to the H3 caused a problem with the ota save. Does anyone know the sequence needed to get it to save the channels. He moved them to left, back to right, or something like that. Thanks

Are you getting guides on the stacked stations? We will get ours hopefully in July. I am wondering if the guides will show up on my 211k?

Are you getting guides on the stacked stations? We will get ours hopefully in July. I am wondering if the guides will show up on my 211k?
Or the digital mapping of the channels is NOT correct or have some other flaw or is just plain NOT changed/there. Giving it time can sometimes help. I know that with my TiVo's, a new channel isn't always immediately mapped, so it can take a few to several days for them to get around to that. So, the Hooper can see the channel, but can't map it properly for viewing.

It’s not the antenna, it is being in the Los Angeles market. While there are a fair number of English Language main and sub channels, the vast majority are foreign language channels with a healthy number of foreign language religious channels, and yet there are still a few Main OTA channels I can NOT get (due to “First Effect”) along with a number of low power channels, but I do manage to get a few low power channels, as well, and there are a number of channels that are in the LA DMA but not on Mt Wilson or just down the road Mt. Harvard where my antenna is aimed, but those other channels not on Wilson or Harvard are not worth the bother of getting a second antenna to receive except for KVCR the PBS member station in San Bernardino (the Inland Empire), but that is provided by Dish LIL in HD, so I get KVCR that way, so the real count is likely more than 180 channels. And BTW, lists published on the Internet of LA stations are often NOT up to date because it is so dynamic with sub-channel services moving to other channel assignments and some no longer offered (gone bust), but often replaced with other services.

What is interesting is that long ago foreign language channels in Los Angeles were by far mostly Spanish, but since about the 1990’s (the large Asian influx started in the 1980's) it was the Asian language OTA channels that were the majority, and today Asian language channels/services dominate the foreign language channel count with Korean, Vietnamese and several dialects of Chinese being the most popular. Broadly speaking that would be China and Southeast Asia considered the “Asian” language OTA services. There are other foregn languages represented (largest Iranian population outside of Iran, and Armenian and more), but not as many nor as lucrative as the "Asian" languages channels/services.

Now we get channel 45 Main OTA beIN Sports Xtra, an English language service that has some decent content of traditional and eSports, and that was the ONE channel my H3 could simply NOT populate that I wanted (and eventually gave up because I would lose CBS or NBC or some other really good OTA channel in the attempts), although the signal strength for 45 is sufficient—and remember, the stupid H3 can LOSE even EXTREMELY powerful OTA’s with 100% signal strength in some channel scans.

Again, I wonder if the H3 is scanning TOO FAST and ends up dropping some channels that it IS capable of getting. I have to say that TiVo channel scan is far more reliable from the Series 3 to even the Roamio. Also, I prefer how the TiVo DVR will notify you with a message of NEW channels either being discovered or moved, especially when a SERVICE moves to a new channel. And yes, we need that ADD CHANNELS option that was on the ViP's to be added to the H3, but I know that will never be part of the H3.

I do agree that a good antenna can make a difference, and LOTS Of HEIGHT. Happy TV watching while I tune in to that somewhat low production value and nutty Localish channel on ABC OTA Sub-channels. They should just air the stuff as originally aired in that city and quit trying to patch stuff together. Localish Houston seems to be aired as originally broadcast (and surprisingly low production value for America’s 4th largest city), and Localish channel should just air Eye On LA as originally broadcast because it is a MUCH better production and better flow than culling parts of it and repackaging it with new, but inferior host and cheaper introductions that lack the Eye On LA high production value. Localish can be deathly boring with its low energy, SLOW, sometimes not-interesting details and junior college student-like hosts. I know way to long a post. Sorry, and bye.

And yet I read it all - LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts