OTA select duplicate channels

If it fits into your viewing interest and budget you could add a 211K receiver. There is a $40 charge for the software but no monthly DVR fee. The 211K does have a $7 per month additional receiver fee. You will have to add your own hard drive, how good a shopper are you? For OTA the 211K has a built in tuner no dongle required, and it is more sensitive than the dongle I bought for my Wally.
Thanks boba for the suggestion. I don't see me buying more Dish equipment. If I purchased anything it would be a Fire TV Recast or Tablo, and if I did that I would cancel Dish and subscribe to a streaming service such as Philo.

I tried changing the direction of the antenna but sadly it didn't work. Maybe the Dish programmers can enhance the OTA software to allow us to manually add channels that didn't scan in. That would be a big plus.
Don't hold your breath waiting for this! For years now, many here have been asking for "add a channel" feature to be added to the OTA scan. It is hard to understand why Dish will not do this for its subscribers. It seems like this should be a rather simple change to add. I guess that Dish must have other priorities that it deems more important. However, the way that they are promoting OTA by giving us $12 off for not subscribing to satellite locals, you would think that Dish would want to make this change.

I have channels coming from 3 different directions, and the Dish OTA software makes it virtually impossible for me to receive them all at once.

Reactions: pattykay
I have a VIP 211K. With the Hopper and Wally receivers, can you delete ota channels after scanning so those 15 or 20 trash channels don't populate your guide?

You can delete but you can't rescan to add missing channels. Ch. 8 would still be missing.
response to post#9.

The question in post # 8 was specific about the ability to delete ota channels and I answered that specific question. You aren't really deleting the trash channels but they do hide. All that said, You are correct, you don't have the ability to rescan and add specific channels.

If it fits into your viewing interest and budget you could add a 211K receiver. There is a $40 charge for the software but no monthly DVR fee. The 211K does have a $7 per month additional receiver fee. You will have to add your own hard drive, how good a shopper are you? For OTA the 211K has a built in tuner no dongle required, and it is more sensitive than the dongle I bought for my Wally.

When you switched from the 211K to the Wally, did you have to pay the new $5 receiver fee?

What I don't understand is why having the same station on a VHF frequency and a UHF frequency would prevent the UHF from registering, surely they dont have the same PID's or SPID's and if they do the station needs to change them.
It sounds like they both map to the same virtual channel number, which would explain why the receiver cannot put both versions in the guide. Perhaps one station is a translator of the other. In that case, both versions should have the same TSID (I think that is the term you were trying to come up with) so that the guide info can be correctly mapped to that virtual channel, no matter which OTA version (in this case, the VHF station or UHF station) you are receiving. That is, assuming that Dish's guide mapping is working correctly for this channel at all. We have a low-powered translator here in Mansfield, Ohio that simulcasts WOSU PBS Channel 34 from Columbus. The Dish receivers map our translator to virtual channel 34 (-1 through -4) and we get guide info for the first three. (34-4 is a newer subchannel that the station added long after Dish stopped updating the OTA guide database.)

I have seen Vip211k's for $59 at times if you shop around. I think the normal is $99. Often I have seen them for $79-$89. Probably refurbished. It would be unusual to find a new one in a box, being the age of the receiver. I bought my Vip211k when it first came out. For a single guy, it fits me perfectly with the outboard 1tb HDD and OTA tuner. The sensitivity of my 211k's OTA tuner is pretty decent, getting all of our lp translators. Of course I do use a 91XG high gain yagi, but it works well. Yes, as others have stated you can scan each individual channel with affecting the others. With our translators, we have had issues on a single one at times. I can delete the channel and scan it back in. It is a nice feature.

mwdxr1 wrote: Isn't ch 37 supposed to be the highest UHF channel now used. All of our translators are below 37 here (17-21-23-26-34).

Stations are going through the process of moving to the channels below 37, but the process won't be complete until the fall of 2010. Stations are divided into 9 phases, and stations in the last phase don't change until the Spring of 2010.

Larry

mwdxr1 wrote: Isn't ch 37 supposed to be the highest UHF channel now used. All of our translators are below 37 here (17-21-23-26-34).

Stations are going through the process of moving to the channels below 37, but the process won't be complete until the fall of 2010. Stations are divided into 9 phases, and stations in the last phase don't change until the Spring of 2010.

Larry
Phase 10 completion date is July 3, 2020.

Transition Schedule

The question in post # 8 was specific about the ability to delete ota channels and I answered that specific question. You aren't really deleting the trash channels but they do hide. All that said, You are correct, you don't have the ability to rescan and add specific channels.

Are you referring to the Hopper or VIP receivers since those posts were referring to other than the Hopper. You can indeed scan in new channels without losing old ones with the VIP receivers.

Larry
There is a great disturbance in the timeline. :facepalm

:D

Are you referring to the Hopper or VIP receivers since those posts were referring to other than the Hopper. You can indeed scan in new channels without losing old ones with the VIP receivers.
There is a glitch with the ViP scan that can cause it lose old channels. However, that only occurs when those channels are actually coming in, but with a very low signal strength. In that case, it is relatively easy to add the deleted channels back by simply scanning again, or manually adding each channel back. Channels that are not coming in at all do not get deleted from the list unless you manually remove them.

Unfortunately, the Hopper/Wally scan is the exact opposite, deleting any channels that are not coming in, and not necessarily adding all of the channels (that are actually trying to come in) to the list, either. Many of us have been wanting Dish to change the Hopper/Wally scan to act more like the ViP scan, ever since the original Hopper first came out. :(

Reactions: Tampa8
There is a glitch with the ViP scan that can cause it lose old channels. However, that only occurs when those channels are actually coming in, but with a very low signal strength. In that case, it is relatively easy to add the deleted channels back by simply scanning again, or manually adding each channel back. Channels that are not coming in at all do not get deleted from the list unless you manually remove them.

Unfortunately, the Hopper/Wally scan is the exact opposite, deleting any channels that are not coming in, and not necessarily adding all of the channels (that are actually trying to come in) to the list, either. Many of us have been wanting Dish to change the Hopper/Wally scan to act more like the ViP scan, ever since the original Hopper first came out. :(

What I was mostly referring to is if you have channels coming from different directions, or different enough you have to turn the antenna the VIP handles that with no problem. You can manually go through the channels and add them, nothing already scanned in is effected. I have two sets of the same channel number by doing just that. (Note that the actual channel numbers are different but the virtual are the same)

I'll also edit like dare2be;
Many of us have been wanting Dish to change the Hopper/Wally scan to act more like the ViP scan ever since the original Hopper first came out. :biggrin

What I was mostly referring to is if you have channels coming from different directions, or different enough you have to turn the antenna the VIP handles that with no problem. You can manually go through the channels and add them, nothing already scanned in is effected. I have two sets of the same channel number by doing just that. (Note that the actual channel numbers are different but the virtual are the same)
Hmm...I learn something new every day. I never knew that the ViP receivers could handle duplicate channel numbers on the same virtual channel, and display both in the guide. I usually just rely on the scan to find new channels, and only manually add channels if I happen to notice they are missing and if a scan does not bring them back. Since the scan only puts one of the channels in the list on that virtual channel number (if two stations with the same virtual number happen to be coming in at the same time) I just assumed that only one channel could be mapped to that channel number at a time. Usually, the work-around (since the stations have different actual frequencies) is that the receiver will put one of them on the actual channel number in the list, instead of the virtual number. The actual number is labeled as "DTV" in the guide instead of having the station's call letters, but otherwise the guide data is correct if Dish provides guide data for that station. (Yes, I know the guide labels can be manually edited (yet another nice ViP feature) but the custom labels get wiped every time I do a scan. Like I said, I prefer to start with a scan, and I scan frequently, so it is not worth it to me to keep relabeling the channels all of the time.)

Does that include translators, by 2020, or will that be later. By 2020 we should be on the way to 3.0 also.
I *THINK* translators are being done in the same time frame. And what do you mean by "on the way to 3.0"? Transmission equipment is being sold as "3.0 ready", but there are still a lot of steps before it's wide spread. Go try to buy a 3.0 receiver. And 2020 is a little over a year away.

There is a great disturbance in the timeline. :facepalm

:D
I wrote: "Stations are going through the process of moving to the channels below 37, but the process won't be complete until the fall of 2010. Stations are divided into 9 phases, and stations in the last phase don't change until the Spring of 2010.

Oops... change those 2010's to 2020. :)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)