OTA Set Top Box not on the shelf - Retail store confrontations

You can fix that with an in-line pad (ahem, an Attenuator), or de-tune the antenna by moving it off a few degrees from the LOS to the transmitters. That stuff about needing "special digital or HD antennas" is a marketing ploy joke IMO.

1. Why would they not have these "reflected signals" today ?

2. I disagree with that. Consumers will typically use the smallest antenna they can, as in what they can find/buy at Walmart, and only put a bigger antenna up when those don't work. And by "bigger", that just as often means "more expensive indoor antenna from Walmart". Then again, many (most ?) won't be bothered with an outdoor antenna at all and will do without.

hall,
I believe that's called multi-pathing and yes, if severe enough can distort an analog or digital signal. A major case of Analog UHF (and to a lesser extent VHF) ghosting is what I experienced with my attic antenna. Bought a new Winegard PR4400, installed it outdoors and my analog problems totally cleared up. If people are experiencing analog ghosting with an indoor antenna (VERY COMMON unless very close to the XMTR) or a pixelized digital picture, then the first thing I think of is move the antenna outdoors. I still contend that a DTV receiver needs special HD antenna is pure bunk. A crappy signal is just that, be it analog or digital.

I am not sure that he ever said that a special digital or HD antenna is required. I am not sying that he is right but his argument s different from the "you need an HD antemms" argumetn.

2: Consumers put up the largest antenna they can find, Bigger is Better. Too much gain will overdrive the ATSC tuner. The signal meter will show all kinds of signal and no picture.
This is why they invented Automatic Gain Control. If a standalone tuner doesn't have good multipath rejection capabilities, you should find one that does.

Gentlemen,

I understand and the professional installers here understand how to address these issues. The point I am trying to make is that the consumer who purchases a STB at Wal Mart and takes it home has a small chance of it actually working correctly. These are the same people who think they need a "Digital or HD" antenna. These are also the same people who typically are not going to pay someone to make it work properly. That's why they are receiving offair broadcasting anyway. So I personally beleive this will be a huge mess until consumers learn that they will probably need to pay a professional to install their antennas properly.

I still contend that the majority of people's setups will be just fine when they use the same antenna they're using today.

Harshness,

I know that and you know that. Like my previous, end consumers do not know that. 30 years of experience in the field verses "I read on the internet" is the point I'm trying to make here.

So I personally beleive this will be a huge mess until consumers learn that they will probably need to pay a professional to install their antennas properly.
Why?
I plugged my digital TV into the same drop that I had my analog TV in. Signal came in just as fine.

I agree with Hall on this one. Since when the changover occurs, the stations will all be at full power, no one will have to do anything to their antennas.

Those who would need large outside antennas likely already have them anyway.

Why?
I plugged my digital TV into the same drop that I had my analog TV in. Signal came in just as fine.

I agree with Hall on this one. Since when the changover occurs, the stations will all be at full power, no one will have to do anything to their antennas.

Derwin,
That may have worked for you, but where I live, at least one of the high power analog transmitters are in a different location (about 150 degrees different) than the digital transmitters. Bottom line is that if the user has a directional antenna pointed to receive the analog signal and the digital tower(s) are at a different bearing, then guess what? It won't be as plug-and-play as you experienced. Plus you may have too much gain out of your existing antenna for the digital receiver which can result in "no signal" or at least the appearance of no signal on the digital receiver. I think the average John & Jane Q Public will need some assistance if they don't have basic knowledge of how to setup the digital receivers.

I'm not an unscrupulous business guy, but it sounds like there will be quite a bit of installation business opportunities available in about one year when panic sets in.

Available at Walmart today. $49 and some change

Digital to Analog converter boxes are now on Walmart shelves. At least there is now something on the shelf. The box says $40 coupon eligible.

I bought a converter box from my local wally world a year ago the was on clearance. It seems no one was buying them, so they are not carrying them.
I'll bet that was a US Digital set-top and not the standard converter that's the topic here. The US D box is *HD* capable whereas the coupon-eligible boxes are not.

Wally world

Yea wally word in this part of Idaho The lower part has them. Even best buy in idaho falls have them. Would like at least one box with svideo on it. To goto a nice older Monitor/Tv/ETc I have. One wally world had a form to fill out and send in to get a coupon. I think it all dpeends on what area you are in.
Still no coupons yet though. Sigh. Then again I think the boxes should be free. Somebody in one of the articles said something like look at all the plastic after that date. Oh yea, I'm sure people will be dropping tvs and getting new ones. Just to upgrade. So maybe I'll get that nice 32" crt I always wanted. LOL

Later,

Josh

Why?

What about OTA viewers who live in such terrain that the best analog picture they get is somewhat grainy (snowy) and is not necessarily that bad of a picture -- they're accustomed to it and have accepted it over the years. It is likely that signal is not strong enough to "lock-in" a digital picture. This is deceptive (when you're told all you need is a converter box) and a drawback to digital (versus analog), since a weak analog picture can be tolerated versus a continually pixellating or intermittent digital picture.

Eric

It takes less power to transmit a digital signal at the same output level as an analog signal takes today. If the stations switch their digital transmitter to the same output level as they're running their analog, people who used to get a snowy picture may benefit greatly. Odds are though, they won't... It costs a lot of money to operate their tower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)