This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

OTA Signal Intermittent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hooks61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I have a local PBS channel through my OTA antenna that the signal comes and goes. At times I will have 80 to 85 signal strength for an hour or two. Suddenly the signal strength will drop to 0 to 5 and remain like that for a few hours. Then the signal will come back to full strength again.
What are the possible causes for this type of intermittent signal? Is this a station issue?
I have a winegard antenna that has the coax diplexed into the sat coax on the roof and then diplexed back out at my HD10-250. I tried running directly into my TV receiver and had the same problem so I ruled out my DVR as the issue.
I will try running a coax direct from antenna to dvr but I don't think that is the problem.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

As someone who has been through a million antennas (tongue firmly planted in cheek), I will offer this advice...

• Get rid of the diplexers on both ends. The diplexers rob the signal strength.
  • The problem is probably a multipath issue. I am experiencing it on one station in the Detroit area right now.
  • OTA can be maddening. One antenna works great for all but one station...replace it and another one will be an issue.

I had a simular problem to yours, I changed cables, and put new connectors on, that made no improvement. Finally I changed out the 300 to 75 ohm transformer, on the antenna end and my signal strength went up to a steady strong signal. I am about 40 miles from the majority of the locals HD antennas. It may not be your problem, but is a possibility for your problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.