OTA signal strength?

cotybroussard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Port Neches, TX
What signal strength should you have for your OTA channels? My signal strength for these channels never goes above 20 and is rarely even that high. Is this number somewhere close to where most of you guys' signal strength is for you OTA's?

Thanks

cotybroussard said:
What signal strength should you have for your OTA channels? My signal strength for these channels never goes above 20 and is rarely even that high. Is this number somewhere close to where most of you guys' signal strength is for you OTA's?

Thanks

OTA signal strength can go from 0 to 100 depending on your location, transmittion power, and other factors. Go to www.antennaweb.org and find how far you are from OTA stations (make sure to click on digital only). If you have the Stealth Antenna, it has a range of 45 miles in UHF and 30 miles in VHF. See around your location and determine from the map at www.antennaweb.org where the Stealth is pointing to. The Stealth Antenna is highly directional and if you point to the wrong dirrection it will not get the signal. Also, if you see big buildings that are blocking the signal this might also affect signal strength.

Last but not least, do you have a diplexer installed? They are known to decrease the OTA signal as well.

So you see is not a simple question as there are a lot of factors. Take one at time and try to determine which one is more relevant to your location.

I believe that the VOOM stb will lock on anything at 40 or higher with minimum breakups. In my case I leave within 15 miles of OTA stations and I get above 95% for my locals. Given that I am using my own antenna which has a range of 65 miles.

I am within 15 miles of the stations. I do have the stealth antenna and the cables are ran straight to the box with no diplexors. I also live in an area with no tall buildings. So with all of this considered I feel that my signal should be much stronger.

cotybroussard said:
I am within 15 miles of the stations. I do have the stealth antenna and the cables are ran straight to the box with no diplexors. I also live in an area with no tall buildings. So with all of this considered I feel that my signal should be much stronger.

Is the antenna pointed in the same direction of the towers?

The installer had a compass and attempted to point it in the right direction. Nothing else with the installation went right so I don't know why I assumed that the antenna was pointed in the right direction.

Is the open end pointed at the towers or the pointed end of the V aimed towards the tower. I know there has been a lot of confusion on which way to point the Stealth.

Signal Strength

All of my ota signals register between 55 and 65 except one which is around 20 which makes it unwatchable. Try moving your antenna up, down, to the left, and right of its current position to see if the signal strength improves. Sometimes moving an antenna as little as a foot will make a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)