OTA splitting Question

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
I have the Diplexer install. The SAT and OTA (Wineguard Sensar II) signals are combined at the Roof, brought down through only one Coax, and then spilt using a diplexer behind the Voom Box. I understand that the Voom box uses the Diplexer to pass power to the antenna, which is required for amplification.

I am building an HTPC with a OTA HD tuner (MyHd 120). I need to somehow use the same signal (split?) to feed this second tuner too (as installing another antenna or running another wire is not an option for me.)

1. Can I just split the signal just before it goes to the diplexer?
2. In the above scenario, does the Voom Box need to be turned on, so that it can pass power to the antanna, each time I use the HTPC tuner?
3. What kind of splitter would I need and where to buy them?
4. Is there any other option?

It might depend on how far away from the broadcast towers you are. If you're close enough, you may not need the amplification to pick up the channels you need.

p.s. Awesome card...you'll love it.

Lob

Lobstah said:
It might depend on how far away from the broadcast towers you are. If you're close enough, you may not need the amplification to pick up the channels you need.

p.s. Awesome card...you'll love it.

Lob
Does it mean that if I use splitter, there will be no amplification? :confused:

See if you can find a splitter that passes DC voltage on one side only.
Another option for you is to get a regular diplexer instead of the one provided by Motorola and split the OTA signel after it is separated from the satellite signal.
And no, you do not need to keep the STB on. It supplies voltage even when it is turned off (in standby).

Ilya said:
Another option for you is to get a regular diplexer instead of the one provided by Motorola and split the OTA signel after it is separated from the satellite signal.
And no, you do not need to keep the STB on. It supplies voltage even when it is turned off (in standby).
Thanks.
So, if I use any regular diplexer available in the market, it will still supply dc to the antenna. I do not need to use the one which attaches to the back of the Voom box? Which input actually supplies the voltage? The SAT or OTA?
Can I use this (Sorry, I am a newbie to this diplexer thing)?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=16-2586

Ilya said:
See if you can find a splitter that passes DC voltage on one side only.
Would this splitter pass DC required to power the antenna?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_001_006&product_id=15-2582
For not allowing DC to the HTPC input, can't I use a DC block like this? http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_001_003_002&product_id=15-1259

I think so. The voltage is supplied by the SAT input. It is primarily intended for the LNB on the satellite dish, but can also be used by amplified OTA antennas.

smodak said:
Looks like this splitter is rated up to 1.1 Ghz, so it might be sufficient even for satellite signals (which are above 1 GHz).

For not allowing DC to the HTPC input, can't I use a DC block like this? http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_001_003_002&product_id=15-1259
I don't see any specs for it, but I think it should do it.

Ok...

Let me clarify a bit, Any standard diplexer can be used on the inside (then split the Antenna side with any standard splitter to hook it up to multiple items) The outside diplexer is the one that allows power to go to the antenna (Power is running through the cable going to the dish to power the sat and the outside diplexer sends it to the antenna as well:D

This is what you want but you should be able to find it cheaper than that, Talk to your local company, we sell a better quality version for $7.50 each.

I used my own non-powered diplexors and I have my big ol' Rat shack antenna split 5 ways and I still have signal strength in the 90's on all but 1 channel.

Hoooorrayy! The RadioShack Diplexer and Splitter worked like a charm. Thanks to all who replied to this thread! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)