Splitting OTA signal?

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Can I use a splitter inbetween my OTA antenna on the roof and my Voom box and a second OTA HD reciever? I have a HDTV capture card on my PC and having a bow tie antenne on my PC monitor isn't the most attractive or functional thing in the world. I don't have a duplexer hooked up anymore, but that never caused a problem when it was. Will splitting the OTA work, or will the signal loss be too much?

BTW Being able to DVR my HD prime time shows is killer. Now I just need to find a good way to convert the mpeg files into WMP 9.

Well, I split my OTA 4 ways at the access box to feed to 4 different rooms, then at my main TV I split it again 3 ways to feed a tivo, voom box, and a hughes box. Signal is just fine for both analog and digital reception (I don't have an amplified antenna either).

I just use a Radio Shack splitter to split the OTA signal for both my VOOM and 6000u receiver. I see no degradation in the signal. I can give you the specifications tonight when I look at the splitter.

Splitter

I have mine split 4-ways as well. I tried experimenting and found no noticeable degridation of the signal using a splitter.

If it helps anybody, here is my OTA splitter situation:

I have 1 cable from my rooftop to my TV area. I have a diplexer on the roof to combine Sat and OTA. At my TV area, the cable goes into a splitter. One side of the splitter goes to the Voom diplexer on the STB, the other side goes to another diplexer which feeds only my TVs analog input.

The Sat guy thought if I was going to be splitting the OTA, this was the best way. THough lately with rain fade, I am considering taking out all diplexers and splitters to get as much signal as possible. Its hard to know without trying, I get 95 signal on a clear day-NORTHERN Calif.

--Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts