OTA trouble

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
So I installed an ota antenna before I had my new 922 installed. In order to aim the antenna I just ran the cable through my window and hooked it up to the amplifier and then to the tv. Everything worked fine and I was able to pick up 6 stations.

When I had the 922 installed the installer diplexed the ota cable in with the satellite feed. I then put the amplifier in after I split my antenna cable back out at the receiver. Now I am only able to pick up one station.

I have heard that diplexing and adding cable length like I did can significantly affect your signal strength. Would adding a bigger amplifier solve my problem?

If you have no signal you can amplify it as much as you want but you will still have no signal. The amplifier would have to go before the first diplexer to have a signal to amplify. Your probably better off just running a TV cable all the way from the antenna to the receiver.

Ok I did some looking at my setup. I can do either. I could run a separate cable or I could place the amplifier before the diplexer. Which would be better?