OTA=worthless to me

londonandlawson

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I live in a small town and I just picked up a Philips antenna for 30 bucks at Wal-Mart.

I have a PBS and ABC in my town.. I can't barely pick up ABC, it is very staticy and snowy. PBS comes in fine though. I don't even live 5-10 miles max from the ABC station, I don't know what the deal is.

londonandlawson said:
I live in a small town and I just picked up a Philips antenna for 30 bucks at Wal-Mart.

I have a PBS and ABC in my town.. I can't barely pick up ABC, it is very staticy and snowy. PBS comes in fine though. I don't even live 5-10 miles max from the ABC station, I don't know what the deal is.

This is digital you are talking about? Digital channels will not be staticy or snowy. What tuner are you using?

Hmm

Sounds like you don't have/arn't using an ATSC/digital tuner. Your Samsung DLP tv might only include an NTSC/analog tuner thus why you are getting snow. If I were you I would get a top-set ATSC receiver from a local store and see if the channels improve any. If they don't then return it and get cable or satellite. But if you can get a signal you only need 50% to get a good (clear) picture with a digital tuner.

antennas

I have a channel master antenna cm4228 and a winegard 8275 pre amp- This the ultimate set up for me- I get all uhf channels within a 60 mile radius- all digital channels. But you MUST have a tuner in your tv for digitalor high definition channels. or YOu can buy them sometimes from ebay- such as hughes e86 high definition direct tv receiver.. YOu wont use the satelitte portion of this receiver but you can then get hd ota = over the air high definition. crystal clear and better quality hd then you get from dish or direct tv or cable. Take your 30 antenna back and go for a cadillac not a yugo

good luck

John A

londonandlawson said:

If you live in a very small town where your locals come to you from another city; it is very possible that you are served by a translator / repeater tower not actually by the affiliate directly. And in some instances, I am not 100% sure those repeaters pass alnong anything but SD; that I will have to check into.

What is your zip code?

Plugging that zip code into the antennaweb.org site, it seems like most of your digital locals will be out of Memphis, about 60 miles away. That Philips indoor antenna isn't going to be capable of receiving those channels.

In my area, I would only receive one HD/digital channel OTA at this point in time and that's the reason I'm reluctant to put up an outdoor antenna.

If you want decent OTA in Jonesboro, AR, you need a big tall tower and an outdoor antenna and preamp. And a digital OTA tuner. That will get you Memphis, TN. Otherwise, all you'll get OTA is abc & pbs from your immediate area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts