Other Discussion: Firewire, DD5.1

pager94

Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Help

OK I"m now very very frustrated with voom. No PPV, which is probably a good thing ;), and no DVR in the foreseable future. OK I want to take matters into my own hands now.

Is it possible to record HD (1080i, 720p) on some MAINSTREAM dvd format. I guess I can live with dvd format, but almost require 5.1 surround. To record HD fights on HBO, and SHO.

No Firewirewire in Voom Box. I went shopping some time ago, at Best Buy and Circuit City. Non of the DVD recorders had 5.1 INPUT how can you record a DVD without 5.1 input for movies, etc. I'm not looking to record NOVA on PBS lol, I want to be able to record BIG high quality movies and sports with great pics and 5.1. ONLY 1 DVD recorder I saw had component cable input.
My questions
1) Will the DVD recorder work for what I stated for above? I can live with a slightly down converted HD quality.
Magnivox MRV 640 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=pcmcat13900050019&type=product
2) I need to find something CHEAP but good quality that will record VERY high quality DVD with 5.1 surround.
3)Any other suggestions?

You are NOT going to get DD 5.1 on ANY DVD recorder, PERIOD. I get great surround sound reproduction, to include butt thumping LFE from DVD's I record. It's Pro Logic but still sounds fantastic.

You are not going to get HD from any outboard recorder as of today. If you want to check out the quality of a DVD recorded from HD material, I would be happy to send you a sample disc. Just let me know your flavor of material and I'll cut you one.

PM me if you are interested.

From my understanding of the technology, the few HD recorders that are around record via firewire input. But still no 5.1 audio.

The Voom receiver doesn't have firewire output.

JimP--

To my knowledge, the firewire input for current recorders will only work with DVD Camcorders and a select few (Canopus) PC 1394 cards. If someone can show otherwise, please share.

MNHTUG said:
JimP--

To my knowledge, the firewire input for current recorders will only work with DVD Camcorders and a select few (Canopus) PC 1394 cards. If someone can show otherwise, please share.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the JVC DVHS recorders accept firewire from one of the Scientific Atlantic cable boxes??

Sure. The 5c compliant decks (JVC, Mitsubishi) can record from all sorts of enabled STBs these days.

JimP said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the JVC DVHS recorders accept firewire from one of the Scientific Atlantic cable boxes??
I've had a SA8000HD (HD DVR) with firewire and DVI ports for about 2 months now. The only problem is none of these ports are supported at this time and I've been too busy with work to hound SA or the local Cable Co.

JimP said:
From my understanding of the technology, the few HD recorders that are around record via firewire input. But still no 5.1 audio.

The Voom receiver doesn't have firewire output.

I thought firewire was suppose to supported 5.1?

I have been recording Dolby Digital 5.1 SD DirecTV using firewire to D-VHS for 5 years and recording HDTV with DD 5.1 this year to D-VHS. The HDTV version requires an expensive modification to the receiver adding a firewire port. Most digital cable services have working firewire now and all are required by the FCC to offer firewire cable boxes. It would have been a wise move by VOOM to offer firewire but for whatever reason, they didn't. Philips offers a DVD recorder with optical audio in which is supposedly capable of recording DD 5.1. It is not HDTV though so could only record 480i from the s-video. I have never read a review of the Philips DVD recorders but their website had information the last time I looked.

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)