Will VOOM HD PVR be able to capture and playback DD5.1 sound track

richard_rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Does any one know if the hopefully soon to be released VOOM HD PVR will be able to also record and playback the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack for programs that include it. It would be a bumber if we wait all this time for the DVR only too find out it will only support 2 channel Stereo playback, even if the original show had the sound track recorded in DD5.1

This was a big plus for the Ultimate TV PVR when i was a DirectTV subscriber 3 years ago, some other PVR's would not cature and play back the DD5.1 soundtrack and only allowed you to store a stereo 2 channel sountrack.

I am not sure how the current DirecTV and DishNetwork HD PVR's work, do they allow you to store and playback DD5.1 sound along with the video stream. How about the Cable PVR's do they allow DD5.1 playback.

I am willing to wait untill the end of march to hear something official about the VOOM PVR, but if it will only support 2 channel Stereo playback it is not worth it and i will look into other options besides voom now. Don't get me wrong, i love my VOOM service, i just want a fully functional HiDef PVR including good DD5.1 audio capture and playback. I am willing to wait for it another 3 months before i get ancious!!

Since it is easier to record the original transmission from the satellite, the odds are it will keep whatever audio format was originally sent.

Thanks dave,

By the way i am close to your neiborhood, Courtdale PA, a few miles across the Suquhanna River from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area ( i quess about 60-80 miles north of you)

I get the WB/Scranton Digital OTA's for ABC,PBS, FOX, CBS,NBC, all are sending Digital signals, but only ABC and PBS are doing True HD when available in the program. Fox should support HD in the next two weeks, and CBS/NBC are saying maybe spring 2005 for HD but they are waiting for the money to get approved. So hopefully by spring i will have all the major networks sending true HD. How is the OTA HD situation in Lancaster, i quess you get the Harrisburgh OTA's.

FYI - All my OTA Towers are 5 miles south of Wilkes-Barre on a Mountain Peak so maybe you could pull them in with a good amplified OTA antenna since you are north of Harrisburgh. I can not pull in the Harrisburgh signals, but i tried, LOL. I which our local CBS/NBC would get off their buts and get the funds approved for HD!!!!!

Dish 921

richard_rd said:
I am not sure how the current DirecTV and DishNetwork HD PVR's work, do they allow you to store and playback DD5.1 sound along with the video stream. How about the Cable PVR's do they allow DD5.1 playback.

The Dish 921 HD DVR records and plays back Dolby Digital. Gerry

Who cares as long as they release the PVR sometime this decade! It would be nice though if it was in DD5.1. I just hope there are not too many problems when they do release the PVR, hopefully they are delaying the release to make sure they get it right.

ROLLZROYCE said:
I just hope there are not too many problems when they do release the PVR

On that day I'll ride my flying pig to the snowball fight in Hell :D

I'm sure their will be a ton of problems. But I will welcome them with open arms just to have a DVR sitting in my Family Room and finally being able to cancel E*

Getting a cablevision dual tuner DVR installed this weekend I will let you know if it supports DD5.1. If Voom does not include DD5.1 in their released DVR then that is probably a direct indicator that they are not serious about being the ultimate HD content provider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts