using a PC video capture card with voom

bs2000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knows why I have been told by many that an HD Video Capture Card for a computer can't record vooms HD Programing?

Is there a card that I can use to record shows including those in HD?

or is there something I can do to change it. The card makers keep telling me that the signal is scramble untill it get to the tv. That doesn't seem right, I thought that was what the settop box was for. The only thing I can think of is it is the way it hooks up. As if the card only has coax or S-Vido imput and not DVI or Y Pb Pr.

Welcome, bs2000!

I haven't checked on this recently, but my understanding is that there are no (reasonably priced) video capture cards on the market capable of capturing uncompressed HD signal from DVI or Component interfaces. One reason for that is the lack of inexpensive real-time HD MPEG-2 encoders. As I understand, all (consumer-oriented) video capture cards require MPEG-2 compressed signal via FireWire port, so they wouldn't have to do the encoding. And VOOM STB doesn't have FireWire output.

You certainly can use video capture cards with VOOM in SD mode.

Well next to my DVI port on the Motorola SDR550 has a port that is either Firewire or USB. I also thought the box does the conversion. You have DVI and Y Pb Pr that you can connect with, or else the coax will downgrade.

bs2000 said:
Well next to my DVI port on the Motorola SDR550 has a port that is either Firewire or USB.
That's USB. Used for maintenance purposes, I believe.

As far as I know there is NO consumer based product that has component or DVI inputs for recording HD. There is one professional HD JVC deck that will accept component input. If we want to record HD from VOOM we must have a Firewire port out. Without it they can take their DVR and shove it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts