VOOM DVR Preview Video now ONLINE!

Kudos

Kudos for the video! I couldn't watch all of it though, had some major buffering problems.

Two suggestions, however, how about making them a QuickTime video? Remember, most of the world out there is using QT for videos. I had to go and download Windows Media Player--something I really don't care to have--to view the video.

Also, I understand you want to make sure we all know it's from this site but, I think we'll all agree here, we complain about TV channels which put their logo in the corner. How about setting an example and not putting the SatelliteGuys.com plug? Sorry, it annoys me when they do it on TV, it's just as annoying when it's done on the Web.

Ok, off my soapbox and sorry. Didn't mean to trash the great thing you guys did.

I only got about halfway through. I'll have to check out the rest later. I'm very excited about the DVR. Just hope it gets here soon...

The Rickster

Sorry no quicktime at this time.

THe reason we put SatelliteGuys in the video is because in previous videos we have done, other sites have downloaded them and put them up at their site and claimed them as their own.

The SatelliteGuys logo is in there twice for about 10 second each. :)

BTW I edited the video on my laptop, I finnally got a chance to watch it last night and was amazed with the sound, it had a good stereo mix it sounded like you were sitting there in the convention. :D

Understood

I guess my buffering problem didn't allow me to see the logo go away. Sorrry about that. :cool:

I'll have to go back and try again.

The Rickster

Rickster, after you have viewed the entire video, you can save it to your hard drive then it should play normally.

Scott, can YOU confirm the '05 remark?

Scott, since you were there, do you know if he meant '05 as in 2005 or '05 as in their fiscal '05 which starts in 5 days?

I am pretty sure they meant callendar '05. The person doing the demo was actually from Ucentric. He wouldn't be thinking in fiscal years, I think. ;)

It sounded like the media "client" modules were in 05, but maybe they meant the whole shootin' match.

160GB seems on low side, particularly if no FW.

rudolpht said:
160GB seems on low side, particularly if no FW.
They might have more than that by the time it's all released.
Also, keep in mind that 160GB with MPEG4 is like 240GB with MPEG2!

GadgetRick said:
Kudos for the video! I couldn't watch all of it though, had some major buffering problems.

Two suggestions, however, how about making them a QuickTime video? Remember, most of the world out there is using QT for videos. I had to go and download Windows Media Player--something I really don't care to have--to view the video.

Also, I understand you want to make sure we all know it's from this site but, I think we'll all agree here, we complain about TV channels which put their logo in the corner. How about setting an example and not putting the SatelliteGuys.com plug? Sorry, it annoys me when they do it on TV, it's just as annoying when it's done on the Web.

Ok, off my soapbox and sorry. Didn't mean to trash the great thing you guys did.

I only got about halfway through. I'll have to check out the rest later. I'm very excited about the DVR. Just hope it gets here soon...

The Rickster

Seeing as the "Grand Scheme" for Voom is to use Windows Media Player 9 with its super-compression to give us twice the content over the same pipe, I think providing this video in WMV format was *totally* appropriate.

And, it's a good habit to put your logo on an online video, because online videos have a way of proliferating wildly. The reason the logo in the corner on a broadcast channel is unforgivable is twofold:

1) Unless you live in a cave, you have a program guide -- which means that you already know which channel you're watching (which makes the tag totally pointless)

2) The tags on many channels cause burn-in.

You won't get burn-in from a ten or fifteen minute online video clip on your computer screen, and it is *very* possible for an online video to get (re)distributed so that its origin is entirely unknown.

Wish we didn't have to wait so darned long on the PVR box, and I hope it isn't just because they're working on all that network nonsense. I don't want any of that crud -- all I want is to be able to record shows on ONE tv, and watch 'em when I want to. My wife and I decided years ago that while we were true TV junkies, having only 1 TV would ensure that we watched things together, rather than finding one more activity to each do alone. It's actually worked out nicely, with everyone having to balance one another's needs and wants (I'm including the kids in this equation, too)

Anyhow -- simply being able to program in and record shows, ala TiVo is something we desperately wish we could do. Only being able to put in program reminders -- and having to re-enter them because you can't make recurring ones -- is very annoying.

Ahem. Sorry about that, everyone -- I'll get off my soapbox, too, now :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts