Voom Ces Dvr Demo Now Online!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
davidahn said:
With the max bandwidth of 1080i at 19.2 Mbps, wireless options are limited. B is too slow at 11 Mbps max, A has too limited range (54 Mbps max, falls off fast), G is fast enough within 20-30 feet (54 Mbps max, 24+ Mbps) but beyond that the bandwidth shrinks quickly (18, 9, 4.5, 2 Mbps), useless for HD data. Also, even the best wireless G routers and cards have fairly wild fluctuations in signal strength from very good to poor from the same location in the space of seconds.

Pre-N/Super G might be an option, with max bandwidth of 108 Mbps, the main benefits are throughputs of 35+ Mbps at 200 ft. Also, with dual-antenna reception/transmission, it is less susceptible to fluctuating signal strength.

David

I have an airport basestation on the east corner of my house in the upstairs loft, and I have an airport express on the south east corner, downstairs in the media room. Together, they give me full coverage in the house (1600 sq ft on 2 floors). I have a tivo networked wirelessly by connecting it to the airport express with an ethernet cable, from a dlink usb 2.0 ethernet adapter.

Later when the dvr comes out, I intend to add an ethernet switch to the airport express and connect both the tivo (and I intend to get my xbox back in the network) and the hd dvr up for a while until I prove things can work, then I'll pass the tivo to my dad.

So even if the hd dvr doesn't offer wireless out the door, I can rig wireless (I'd sure like to be beta testing the hd dvr right now! hint hint, anybody from voom reading!).

I'm operating at the 54g level. I have no 11b devices to bring me down on speed, so my network is set to 54g only. I have 2 Macs and an XP PC gaming rig running on the net. I'm running tivo to go on the pc, and have already transferred 2 2-hour movies (the farscape final episodes) up and burned them to DVD with fair results. How can I determine the bandwidth used by the tivo 2 go transfers? I didnt' really time them as I left and came back, but they didnt seem to take to long. I record on the tivo at high quality. The movie files were in the neighborhood of 2GB each, I think.

Is that 19.2Mbps uncompressed bandwidth, or compressed? Maybe with MPEG 4 the transmission size of an HD channel will be smaller?

Well well here comes the DVR promises again!!!!!!!! we are going to have a DVR by the end of this month, PLUS 70 new HD channels, A N D the company is going to flip the ON OFF switch to OFF NLT 31 march 2005.... Very interesting, I have been VOOMing since FEB 2003 and I had seen pictures and read many articles in many magazines and talked to MANY VOOM CR folks and had a DVR promised to us VOMMERS to be out since June 2004, and about every 6 months since then, and I have not seen crap but a lot of BS from the company that treats us like blind step foster children... I hope VOOM sticks around and we do get allot more HD we need it and it bad. We are soooo far behind the rest of the world.. It really is bad that it is an OLD man like MR Charles Dolan, to see the the future and all the rest the A-Holes that run cable and satallite do not give a damn they just want to feed us 480P crap and fill there banks accounts full with our money!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)