Anyone using VOOM with a HTPC (for DVR)?

sf_user

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Hi,
I'm moving to a new house and spending (too much) time trying to determine how I want HD. I've been a DVR user since 2000 and can't be w/o it.

I'm thinking of setting up a HTPC/media server for DVDs and am wondering if anyone is using one with Voom as a DVR?
Thanks!

You can easily set-up a HTPC to record from the S-Video out of the VOOM STB. Of course it won't be HD. In theory, if you could get a video capture card with Component input you could record in HD, but such cards are not available, at least a consumer model.

Hrmmm...I thought there were capture cards available that can capture HDTV via component. I'll have to do more research.
Thx.

sf_user said:
Hrmmm...I thought there were capture cards available that can capture HDTV via component. I'll have to do more research.
Thx.
You'll only find few professional/studio cards at the $2K price range.

That's actually the "missing link"...right?
My MyHD card enables recording of OTA HD streams...as do several other DVRs, and those devices are ALL capable of outputting either component or DVI HD streams, so what's the big issue?...other than CPP (content provider paranoia).

It's not that the technology is bleeding edge...I think it's that no one wants to get in a fight with the industry.

I'm surprised someone hasn't hacked something together yet...

Lob

Um... you would be vastly incorrect. This has been discussed multiple times here, and in even more detail at AVS. Comparing what the MyHD card does to capturing component or DVI 720p or 1080i sinals is like comparing your garden hose with the volume of 10 fire hoses. Vastly, vastly different. Learn about the technologies involved before declaring it some sort of conspiracy theory.

-MP

Sorry...not buying it. Forget about the MyHD card...as I said, there are any number of HD-DVR products out there right now. If a box can accept a cable, OTA, or sat signal, decode it, and store it...then taking a signal that's already decoded and ready for display is certainly possible. I wasn't projecting a "conspiracy theory"...I was simply offering a valid business reason why a company might choose NOT to do this, as I believe the technology is capable of it.

Lob

***edit***

Here's a quote from a review of LG's HD-DVR...

"Unfortunately, because the 3410A lacks component inputs (for copyright reasons, according to LG), I couldn't connect my HD-enabled cable box..."

And this from CNet:

"FireWire connections between HDTV devices, such as a digital cable box and an HDTV recorder, are controlled by 5C DTCP copy-protection technology"

*sigh* Why do I bother? Again, try reading some of the MANY threads that have discussed this subject. Try looking up some bandwidth numbers on uncompressed Component and DVI, vs. firewire. Here's a hint... it's a WHOLE lot more data. Firewire operates in the still-compressed data world of about 18-19Mbps. Uncompressed component (which is what you are trying to capture) operates in the hundreds of Mbps, and DVI in the thousands. For roughly $5,000 you can make a box to capture component. It will be a gigantic pain in the ass to do, and hardly worth the effort involved.

-MP

Thanks for bothering to supply the additional info. Sorry I haven't read every thread on every forum that's available on this subject.

Using FireWire, the technology is available to pipe the compressed data straight to a recording device though...so I think the point is still valid. If you want to argue the transport mechanism, that's fine. I think most of us just want the ability to record a HD program.
Is Firewire bi-directional? yes.
Does the VOOM rcvr have a Firewire port? yes.
Does my HD-DVR have a Firewire port? yes.
Can I use my HD-DVR to record a HD program from VOOM? no.

Why is that?

Guess I'll go read some other forum to see if the answer lurks there :)

Lob

Lobstah said:
Does the VOOM rcvr have a Firewire port? yes.

No firewire on VOOM (or D* or E*). You'll need cable HDTV, I believe, to get that capability.

As for recording component inputs, you can use WVHS, but it only records in stereo.

Remember, component inputs are analog. DVI and firewire are digital and compressed (compaired to the analog version). ie: what madpoet is saying is correct. :)

-John

I agreed that he was correct...

If I look at the back of my VOOM box...isn't that a FireWire port I see there?

That it's not enabled is exactly my point.

Lob

Lobstah said:
If I look at the back of my VOOM box...isn't that a FireWire port I see there?
No. It is not. There is no FireWire port in the STB. Only a USB port.

Ahhh...ok. My mistake...I stand corrected.

But to further the point...there IS a FireWire port on my DVR, and is marked IEEE1394, I believe. My TV also has FireWire ports.

The technology is there...

Lob

p.s. What's the USB port for?

Think of it this way.... the signal is transmitted to the receiving device in a compressed format, be it OTA or from your cable/sat company. That bitrate is at BEST 18-19Mbps (and in some cases drastically less). In that compressed format, it is not difficult for current equipment to handle. If you have a PVR, then it is stored still compressed on it. If you have a firewire output then the stream the comes out of the firewire port is still compressed. It is when it gets to the point where the stream is passed to the component or DVI output that it gets uncompressed. And when that happens, it blows up like a balloon. Analog output is smaller than digital, but still hugely more data than in the previous steps.

So, looking at current hardware... if you have a DVR from your cable company that has firewire outputs, then that's great. It can take the still compressed signal that your cable company sends it and pass it out of the firewire port. Typically this can only be done to 5c compliant devices. No current satellite receivers have firewire output natively (the Dish 921 had the port, but never enabled it). There are 3rd party modifications that can add firewire and USB ports to certain satellite hardware, but the Voom receivers are architected in a way to prevent that.

Now, back to the original point... capturing the data to an HTPC. The only reasonable way to do this is to take the component out signal and convert it to SDI, then capture the SDI signal. This takes some very expensive equipment, and a lot of storage space. You also have to spend a fair bit of time afterwards manipulating it to a useable format. Not really a PVR type solution, and very very expensive.

-MP

And so if it weren't for copy protection schemes, I could take the firewire output from my cable box and feed it to the firewire port on my pc, and record HD programming...

That's all I was trying to say to begin with :)

Lob

Yes. You still might be able to do that now, depending on what your local cable company uses for 5c. For instance my locals are not encrpyted while all the other HD channels are.

Keep in mind that the FCC mandated those firewire connections on your cable box. The same mandate does not apply to satellite boxes.

Yes, I'm using MCE2005 behind the Voom STB

sf_user said:
I'm thinking of setting up a HTPC/media server for DVDs and am wondering if anyone is using one with Voom as a DVR?

And to get back to the original question: Yes, I'm using a Gateway FMC-901X with Windows Media Center 2005 as a DVR behind the Voom STB. It works, but as mentioned before, it won't do HD behind the Voom box. However the HD channels do look "ok" after they have been handled by the HTPC (a lot better than the SD channels).
What's nice is the fact that I can use DVR2WMV software on the HTPC to transforms recorded shows to smaller WMV with almost no quality loss. Those files are about 1-2 GB for a full-length feature film at 720x480. It's easy to put a few of them on a laptop and play them whenever/wherever you want (this is how I get my own entertainment on the plane).

Tobias