Other than the iPad, what is the best tablet for Dish Anywhere?

Brent L

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
SC
I just signed up to dish and decided the monthly discount was more valuable than the iPad 2. That would be what most people decide in the end, correct?

Anyway, I do want a tablet to use Dish Anywhere even though I decided on them giving us an iPad 2. What would be the best one to get? I thought of Kindle but I read that the DA app isn't even available on the Kindle, which sounds pretty stupid to me. I then thought of the Nexus 7 and I have read multiple people having problems with the app working properly here lately after various updates.

Anyway, which tablet would be the best bet? I have an old HP Touchpad which I still love and use every day but WebOS is sadly long dead and gone for the most part.

I have an iPhone 4 so it will have to do until I can get a proper tablet that works just fine with DA.

Thanks in advance!

Problems on the Nexus 7? I missed that. Since you just signed up can I assume you got the Hopper with Sling? If so the only Tablet that takes advantage of everything is an Ipad. You can download programming to it that you can not do with an Android (Or Windows). That aside, my opinion is the new Nexus 7 is about as good as it gets. If you give a link of problems with the Dish App specific to the Nexus 7 I can look at it and see what that problem is.

Thanks for the response.

Other tablets can watch the live TV and DVR stuff though, correct? Saving it to the tablet, while nice, isn't make it or break it for me.

Anyway, although I've been a member here for years I consider myself new to the forum since this is the first time I have had Dish under my own name. My previous posts from years ago were about my parent's Dish accounts. Anyway, I did a Google search for Dish and Nexus 7 together to see and the first result is to this forum to this thread here...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/316583-Dish-anywhere-and-android-4-3

There are various other complaints about it online as well. I'm all for getting a Nexus, it looks great to me, but I don't want to run into a potential problem with it if it's a common issue. The whole point of getting a newer tablet is to use DA, or at least the main reason to do so right now.

While I'm at it, so you say the Nexus 7 is indeed a good quality alternative to an iPad in other areas as well? Not to get too off topic on tablets in general, but still, I had to ask! Thanks.

I don't know about the new Toshiba tablets, but my older Thrive 10in works great with Dishanywhere. I and my dad both have one and use them to sling to the tv via hdmi when on vacation and traveling

I use a Toshiba thrive w/ a hdmi dock.... I can watch in hand or put on dock and have it on my tv... Im never where my dish is setup... long story...Never miss a game and that's worth everything for me!

I did know about that problem with the new Nexus 7 after seeing the thread from the link the OP provided, but it's not a problem with just the DISH APP, it's an overall problem with many video apps. So I have to think Android will get it resolved.

Last edited:
It may be obvious to many, but for the record any Kindle Fire model is not a good choice at this time. The dishanywhere app is not available in the amazon store.

The dishanywhere app can be loaded on a Kindle and runs OK if you can get the .apk file to manually "sideload," but it's not a point and click process, and you lose auto updates.

Well, I bought a 32gb Nexus 7 for $209/shipped on a site earlier today so hopefully that will work out just fine for me. I believe it was a misprice because they raised the price shortly after I was made aware of it and now it isn't on the site anymore. They say they will honor it though, so I sure hope they do.

I already had the iPad 3 with cellular, so I went with the discount.

First time away from home since I get signed up for Dish, and I forget my iPad! I never forget it :)

Its not just the device that your using to view the dish anywhere app that effects your viewing experience. The way your hopper is connected to the internet is a biggie. A hard wired connection is obviously the best. Mine is connected with a HIC and I don't have any issues. If the tech MUST use WiFi, make sure you getting a good wireless signal.

And as others have said, trying to stream to a device with a poor internet connection is only going to result in a bad experience. I'm guessing that the upload speed that your getting from your ISP effects how well you can stream HD content. Also some ISPs intentionally cause streaming problems because they want you to stream their video content, not Dish's.

While my setup is not typical, I have zero issues with the Dish Anywhere app. I have a Nexus 7 which is rooted with the "Vanilla Rootbox" ROM installed. It's Android 4.2, so maybe that is a clue. I have not yet tried it on my wife's Nexus 7 running stock 4.3.

The Dish Anywhere app also works very well on my DROID Bionic phone (which is also rooted and running Cyanogen Mod 10.1.2 which is Android v4.2.2) over both WiFi and 4G LTE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)