Hopper USB OTA Tuner Question

ejwhite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Minnesota
When using the USB OTA Tuner with the Hopper, can an USB external hard drive also be used? Also, does anyone know if Dish plans to add a internal OTA tuner to the next generation of Hopper? The USB add on tuner seems a little like "Oops we forgot something".

Yes you can also use a EHD in the other port. Not everyone can get OTA so why include significant extra cost for everyone. Dish began doing this with the 722K which also had an add on OTA module that cost $50.00. Nothing has been forgotten.

Dish had already started the add on/optional tuner practice with the 722K. I don't expect internal tuners to ever return.

I have an OTA tuner, EHD, and Sling Adapter attached to my Hopper 2000. I'm using a powered USB hub to keep everything in the back of the Hopper, other wise I'd need to use the USB input on the front.....

Thanks Guys for the information. Sounds like the Hopper may be in my future. :) I thought maybe a OTA module like the ones used on the 722k and 922 would have been a better solution.

Thanks Guys for the information. Sounds like the Hopper may be in my future. :) I thought maybe a OTA module like the ones used on the 722k and 922 would have been a better solution.

Then the Hopper would have to be larger like the previously mentioned receivers. Sort of like how the smaller Joeys have the power brick.

I'd add that my USB OTA module (which, being USB, can be used on future receivers presumably) seems to work better plugged directly into a port rather than thru a hub. But that might have been a one off. On both my HWS I keep multiple EHDs plugged into a powered hub with all on a switched power strip. So to keep OTA capability I'd plug in directly anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yup. The Hopper OTA module is also compatible with the 211z, which is also a smaller receiver than the 211k.

I read somewhere that it is recommended the module be placed on a shelf and not allowed to dangle behind a cabinet, etc. I don't anticipate putting my dongle on a shelf (can't believe I typed that). What do you guys do? Is the recommendation just to ensure it doesn't get pulled loose given it's just connected via USB?

I read somewhere that it is recommended the module be placed on a shelf and not allowed to dangle behind a cabinet, etc. I don't anticipate putting my dongle on a shelf (can't believe I typed that). What do you guys do? Is the recommendation just to ensure it doesn't get pulled loose given it's just connected via USB?

I Velcroed all of my OTA modules down horizontal on the shelf so they don't get moved around when I move things around.

Mine "dangles". No matter.

Can someone point me to where I order this online? Or do I just order from Dish?

Do you currently have a Hopper now? The reason I ask is because I think it only shows up in the Dish Store online if you have a Hopper on your account. You should be able to find one by searching online or asking DIRT on here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)