Other uses for retired C-band equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Hi,

I used a C-Band satellite system for many years. When the receiver failed we switched to Dish network

Anyway, I would rather not just scrap the dish but can't think of any other creative use for it. I don't believe there is any market for it as a satellite dish where I live (Phoenix AZ area) based on not seeing any on CL or eBay.

Its a one piece hydro-formed dish. I think the brand is Paraclypse or something like that. Don't recall the size but attached a picture.

So if anyone has any creative ideas I could use it for, post away. Not holding my breath, though LoL. Won't work as a giant colander because the holes don't extend all the way to the bottom.

33vojz7.png

Bird bath? Gazebo roof?

<running>
<hiding>

Try posting on Craigslist. You might get a nibble, especially if free.

I'm guessing 8'

Should be easy to measure. But C band dishes don't come smaller than 8' do they?

Anyway, can't you get a new box for not much more than $100? If you're tired of the hobby, and just want to watch TV, or are under orders from SWMBO, I can see the pizza dish. Otherwise, a new receiver will be far cheaper than a Dish subscription, even if you threw $500-$600 at it

That's a nice dish! It would be a shame to scrap or throw it away. Please give it some time here to see if somebody here that can use it, will come and remove it for you.

Or, you could get a new receiver and dish mover that can control the polarotor, and use it yourself!

So for a couple $100 dollars, you can still get all sorts of free stuff up there. Your feedhorn is already set to use either C-band OR KU.

Reactions: Cham
Anyway, can't you get a new box for not much more than $100? If you're tired of the hobby, and just want to watch TV, or are under orders from SWMBO, I can see the pizza dish. Otherwise, a new receiver will be far cheaper than a Dish subscription, even if you threw $500-$600 at it
I didn't mean that we switched just because the receiver died. Family (and not JUST SWMBO) was also tired of waiting for the satellite to re-aim when switching between them plus we wanted to record for watching later, etc. which wasn't available as a turn key solution at least when ours died. Plus you could no longer watch broadcast series the day before when the local stations recorded for play the next day.

I know the small dish is not a value and we are probably going to cut the cord (if the term applies to satellite as well as dish) pretty soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)