Ouch, Activate External Drive

menelfloss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
So, I go to hook up an external drive to my new 722, and get this activation message and phone number. I call and find out that there is a one time fee of $40.00 to activate an external drive for that DVR.

I have a 622 in another part of the house and was hoping to migrate a recorded program to an external drive to watch it on the other system. :mad:

I was told I would have to pay another $40.00 to use a drive on that device. Is that right? :eek:

Youch!

Mike

So, I go to hook up an external drive to my new 722, and get this activation message and phone number. I call and find out that there is a one time fee of $40.00 to activate an external drive for that DVR.

I have a 622 in another part of the house and was hoping to migrate a recorded program to an external drive to watch it on the other system. :mad:

I was told I would have to pay another $40.00 to use a drive on that device. Is that right? :eek:

Youch!

Mike

Nope. The $39.95 Activation Fee is per account.

No, it is a one time fee for your account for as many hard drives as you want, but currently you can only move drives between receivers 3 times before the drive is locked to the last receiver

Yes they are on the same account. The Dish guy did not know the answer about activating two recievers, put me on hold and came back with the answer that it is per reciever.
Huh...
I also noticed that I needed to re-boot the 722 after I aborted trying to set it up the first time. It would simply not recognize the hard disk...
Mike

I bought a Seagate 400 GB SATA HDD for $98 and a USB to SATA/IDE converter for $25, so my 400GB external HDD cost me $125.

622 recognized it right off the bat, signed up for EHD support and had it formatting in 10 minutes.

Copied MPEG4 files to EHD and played them.

yes - that would work .. but you are not yet able to add a hard drive to a 211 - just on 622's and 722's right now i think - they are talking about adding dvr capabilities to a 211 "summer" sometime If i remember correctly.

see this would not be so bad b/c I don't have a land line phone and I also own my 211.

There is going to be a DVR fee when they enable DVR capabilities on the 211. Don't you have internet to hook a 622/722 for call in? It will cost you $40 plus $100 or more for an EHD when they ever got around to it. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)