Ouch, HDMI issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swimmer

Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
New member here with odd problem.

Just upgraded to the large dish and a brand new HR20-100S about 3 weeks ago. Installation went well and system mostly worked. Installer had to return and do something so that we got all the HD channels. (I wasn't home and wife reported that he did "something"!).

Fairly simple setup....
HDMI to Sharp Aquos 37 inch and digital optical audio to receiver.

All was well until last weekend at which point two things happened:

First, the sound stopped working (replaced the digital optical cable...still doesn't work....so went back to cables and it worked again).
Second.....the TV began to report that it was "receiving invalid control signal" and turned off (I think this is only with 480i, but am not sure) Replaced HDMI cable....no change....when went to component cables it all works again.

I felt it was likely that the DVR had failed and Direct TV agreed and shipped me a refurbished HR20-700. I've protested and after 2.5 hours on the phone with them, they offer NO solutions. We have no way to get you another HR20-100...period so shut up and take the HR20-700.

Three questions for you then, if I may....
1) Does it seem likely this is a problem with the HR20-100 (the loss of sound and failure of the HDMI to work correctly?
2) Is there any way to actually GET an HR20-100S as a replacement from Direct TV?
3) Should I just say the devil with it and run the component cables and the audio cables?

New member here with odd problem.

Just upgraded to the large dish and a brand new HR20-100S about 3 weeks ago. Installation went well and system mostly worked. Installer had to return and do something so that we got all the HD channels. (I wasn't home and wife reported that he did "something"!).

Fairly simple setup....
HDMI to Sharp Aquos 37 inch and digital optical audio to receiver.

All was well until last weekend at which point two things happened:

First, the sound stopped working (replaced the digital optical cable...still doesn't work....so went back to cables and it worked again).
Second.....the TV began to report that it was "receiving invalid control signal" and turned off (I think this is only with 480i, but am not sure) Replaced HDMI cable....no change....when went to component cables it all works again.

I felt it was likely that the DVR had failed and Direct TV agreed and shipped me a refurbished HR20-700. I've protested and after 2.5 hours on the phone with them, they offer NO solutions. We have no way to get you another HR20-100...period so shut up and take the HR20-700.

Three questions for you then, if I may....
1) Does it seem likely this is a problem with the HR20-100 (the loss of sound and failure of the HDMI to work correctly?
2) Is there any way to actually GET an HR20-100S as a replacement from Direct TV?
3) Should I just say the devil with it and run the component cables and the audio cables?

First of all :
:welcome to the site !!!

IF you really want a -100, have you looked around the local stores ?
When D* ships rec's, you get whatever the local guys have in stock unless it actually comes from D*, but I doubt that they care which you get, it just goes by which they have in stock at the time.
They really are basically the same unit, I've had both and liked both.

I think they are making more -100 's than -700's now so your chances of getting a -100 are better than the other way around.

Now, Can you SEE and or hear a difference when you change cables from Component to HDMI, IF not, go with the Component and forget about it. If you can see a reasonable difference, try a different HDMI cable.
See if that helps any.

Jimbo

Should I just say the devil with it and run the component cables and the audio cables

We have a winner!
HDMI seems to have its own issues, I dont see any benefit to running sound to your TV unless you plan to use it as a center speaker. I’ve seen better picture with component on some tvs and better with HDMI on others but the difference in most TV's is not really noticeable.

Also don’t buy the really expensive brand cabling it dose absolutely nothing for picture quality.

Thanks very much for the replies.

First, the HDMI clearly looks better with this TV/DVR combo, so if possible I'd like to get that working.
Second, I've got and paid for a new HR20-100S three weeks ago from Direct TV!
I've tried two HDMI cables.

After installation it worked perfectly for about 11 days...and failed suddenly over the weekend.

I tried deselecting both of the 480 resolutions (i and p) and did a "menu reset". I reconnected the HDMI cable after that was done to both the TV and the DVR and had 20 seconds of excellent picture with the HDMI cable in place...then the TV set shut down with a "inappropriate control code" error.

I'm not sophisticated about this..but suspect this means that there is something wrong with the control code sent by the DVR.....?? I doubt the TV has failed...in part because we do have a picture for some 20 seconds and in part because its been my experience that new electronics fail more than old electronics....and the Sharp is about 18 months old. Finally the failure of sound from the optical cable to the receiver suggests a common point of failure..the DVR.

I'm fairly irked at Direct TV right now, I bought and paid for an HR20-100S, direct TV agrees that the most likely point of failure is the DVR, but even with a 3 week old product, will not agree to replace the DVR with the same model......

HDMI in general has had a lot of issues with all types of electronic equipment.
Call D* tech dept and see what they can do for you, They will likely send out a service tech and he will look it over and tell them that it is a def. unit and they will then send you one, for some reason they normally fail to have extras on hand (in the truck) even though you stress for them to bring one.

It could be the HR20 or the TV causing the problem, but the HR 20 being replaced is the easier to work with.

Have you run other items thru the HDMI connections before the HR20 ?

Jimbo

Keep in mind also that you didn't "buy" anything. You leased the receiver from DirecTV and, as such, they still technically own it and can give you whatever model they want to give you.

That being said, I've never had any problems with HDMI or Optical audio on my HR20-700.

It is a strange situation... normally I'd say that if you have problems with both receivers it's a problem either with your TV or the combination of the TV and the HR20 in general with HDMI, but the addition of the optical problems is puzzling...

Jimbo....
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear....tech services...after several hours on the phone with them...agree that it is likely the problem is with the HR20-100S. HOWEVER, their solution is to send me the HR20-700.

Onuosfan....actually I do own the box....this is not a lease....and there is the crux of the discussion. I don't feel it's ok that they replace it with a 700...they do. There is only one receiver giving the problem and that's the new HR20-100S.

Ah, well

Jimbo....
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear....tech services...after several hours on the phone with them...agree that it is likely the problem is with the HR20-100S. HOWEVER, their solution is to send me the HR20-700.

Onuosfan....actually I do own the box....this is not a lease....and there is the crux of the discussion. I don't feel it's ok that they replace it with a 700...they do. There is only one receiver giving the problem and that's the new HR20-100S.

Ah, well

Just curious, why do you think you own the box?

Did you pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-$800 for it and then call DirecTV to verify that they show it as an "owned" receiver (there is a special department for this, I believe)? Then you're right, it's owned.

Or did you go into a retailer or directly to DirecTV and pay $299 or less? Then you're leasing it.

That's called a "lease upgrade" and is just a different way of doing business than the cable companies who charge a higher per month rate for the box instead of charging more up front for it.

You cant blame them for not sending you the same box when they are phasing it out, just take the new box and be done with it would be the best idea IMO.

As far as owned vs. lease,

Any receiver you buy from retail is leased, I dont know of anyplace you can buy owned equipment other than DTV.

You cant blame them for not sending you the same box when they are phasing it out, just take the new box and be done with it would be the best idea IMO.

As far as owned vs. lease,

Any receiver you buy from retail is leased, I dont know of anyplace you can buy owned equipment other than DTV.

What makes you think either the H20-100 or H20-600 is being phased out? Where did you hear that from?

Glad you got it worked out, I don't think the model of the receiver had anything to do with it and no sound through the optical cable would have nothing to do with HDMI. It was probably just a bad receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)