Out of marktet Yankee games in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Quick Question. Thinking of switching to satellite. I Live far away from NY.

If I purchase the sports pack, AND I purchase MLB:EI, will I then be able to watch Yankees games on YESHD in HD?

Thank you,

Quick Question. Thinking of switching to satellite. I Live far away from NY.

If I purchase the sports pack, AND I purchase MLB:EI, will I then be able to watch Yankees games on YESHD in HD?

Thank you,

If you have the right equipment, then yes you can. I don't know if there is an extra charge for the hd games, though. I know there is with the Sunday Ticket games. Have you checked Directv's website for this information?

IIRC last year there was an extra charge package to get MLB-EI games in HD (their version of NFL Superfan). But with all the HD RSN channels that have been added in the past couple months, along with YESHD going on a CONUS transponder chances are very good that if the game is in HD you'll be able to see it, of course following all the MLB blackout rules (like game shown on a local channel it's blacked out on MLB-EI).

I just mean if the games are broadcast on YESHD and you have MLB EI plus the sports pack, if you can watch the games in HD on YESHD

I was hoping there was someone out of market who would have the definitive answer to this question.

Since this is the 1st time that all these RSN's will have an HD channel that MLB-EI can use you may just need to wait until the start of the season and see what happens.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that YESHD just came out on DirecTV

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that YESHD just came out on DirecTV

DirecTV had had YES HD for a long time now, just until a couple months ago only the NYC local area had it because it was on a spot beam. With the launch of DirecTV 10 they moved it to CONUS coverage so this is the 1st year that MLB-EI will be able to use YES HD for their games.

I just mean if the games are broadcast on YESHD and you have MLB EI plus the sports pack, if you can watch the games in HD on YESHD

I was hoping there was someone out of market who would have the definitive answer to this question.

I'm in the same situation and bought the same packages last year. It depends.

For national broadcasts you must watch a national channel (FOX Saturday afternoons, ESPN Sunday nights). Despite sports-pack, ch 622 will be blacked-out unless it's your RSN.

For home games, EI shows whatever feed is available in NY; YES-HD or MY9. Depending on where you are, the EI feed may be blacked-out and you'll have to watch your local RSN (in spite of the Sports Pack). I'm in NC, my RSN is MASN, so I must watch any (home OR away) Orioles-Yankees games on MASN.

Away games vary. Away games vs. other out-of-market teams, you have to watch the EI channel. Sometimes EI carries YES/YES-HD for away games, sometimes it's the home team's feed (which may not be HD).

If it matters to you, much of the YES original programming is blacked-out even w/Sports Pack. You can watch Yankees' Classics (at least during the offseason), but can't watch Yankeeography... I don't remember about CenterStage and other shows.

Thanks for your responses

Jpn: So just to make sure I'm getting it right (because this is the deciding factor for me to switch from cable), as long as it stays the same as last year, if I have the sports pack and mlb EI I will get every Yankee home game and many away games in HD without needing to purchase "Superfan?"

gpg. Jeez. So you are saying that in order to watch hd games for my favorite team out of market I need to spend over $300 a season? (including MLB: EI, Superfan, & Sports pack for 6 mo.) And this is on top of the $10 a month HD access?

I wouldn't think you need the sports pack. You'll get your regional RSN as part of your basic subscription. RSN's black out any major league out of market game unless you have the subscription to that leagues package.

If you're looking for some cheap way to do it sorry but sports wants all your money to pay those salaries.

IIRC, last year I paid around $149 for MLBEI, $39 for MLBEI Superfan, and of course the $10 HD access fee. You don't need the Sports Pack unless you want to see the pre- and post-game shows that the RSNs offer.

My guess is that both MBLEI and Superfan will increase in price -- my guess is about $20 each, but I have absolutely no inside information on that.

gpg. Okay. The previous poster made it seem that if you got the sports pack with EI you didn't need to get superfan since you already had YESHD games.

If you "live" in New York, you will get all the Yankee games televised on YESHD with no blackouts whatsoever. Nor any need to get MLBEI. (The only games that won't be carried on YES will be those are either on WWOR (Friday nights last season), FOX Saturday or ESPN Sunday Night baseball.)

If you "live" in New York, you will get all the Yankee games televised on YESHD with no blackouts whatsoever. Nor any need to get MLBEI. (The only games that won't be carried on YES will be those are either on WWOR (Friday nights last season), FOX Saturday or ESPN Sunday Night baseball.)

The thread is about honest out-of-market fans. Not "live" in NY fans.

One point remains from past threads: SportsPack adds zero games for the out-of-market fan; games on the out-of-market RSN channels are all blacked-out.

Beyond that YES also blacks-out Yankeeography and some other original programming for out-of-market. I've never gotten an explanation regarding whether it's imposed by YES' deal with D*, or if that programming is covered by mlb contracts.

If last year meant anything...and with all of the improvements this year, RSN's and all, the simple answer is probably yes. Heck, I got just about every Yankee game in HD last year.

DirecTV had had YES HD for a long time now, just until a couple months ago only the NYC local area had it because it was on a spot beam. With the launch of DirecTV 10 they moved it to CONUS coverage so this is the 1st year that MLB-EI will be able to use YES HD for their games.

Will YESHD on CONUS be MPEG2 or MPEG4? And will a 5 LNB dish be needed or will a 3 LNB dish still receive YESHD?

It's MPEG4 and you'll need the 5LNB dish to receive it, it's on DirecTV 10 at 103.

Thanks. Guess my Tivo 10-250 won't receive it
as it's only capable of MPEG2. I'll have to replace it with an MPEG4 receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.