Over the air... really?

Just like Dtv is a part of ATSC,where do you think the DTv came from back in the 1980
DTV is ATSC A/53. It is not a subset of it.
A TiVo that does ATSC 3.0 does not exist. Further, because TiVo has done away with video and audio inputs, you probably won't be able to adapt a TiVo to record programming delivered through ATSC 3.0.

A chipset to support ATSC 3.0 isn't widely available (if at all) and as such a set-top box that implements ATSC 3.0 isn't practical at this point in time. The most advanced TiVos on the market support only up to h.264 compression.
u are talking about The Mobil part of it now
OFDM isn't just the mobile part. ODFM used for OTA broadcast of ATSC 3.0. h.265 is the one and only video compression scheme and without support for h.265 and ODFM, you don't have a device that will handle ATSC 3.0.

Don't think so. We have an opportunity to share our knowledge and we have done that. Trying to jam it down people's throats just makes us look bad.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig - Heinlein.

NascarKen, I must come down strongly with everyone else. The ATSC 3.0 architecture is quite complex. I agree that some of the layers are re-used from ATSC 1.0 and have been implemented. However, in order to display an ATSC 3.0 signal, you need an implementation that meets ALL of the mandatory blocks of the broadcast standard. If you don't have that, you simply cannot receive the signal. At the present time, we are very early in experimenting with adoption of these standards. On small broadcast area is putting out ATSC 3.0 test signals and the only decoders available are professional units that cost well in the 5 figure range.
Well I gess u are rong we have Ben useing ATSC for TV OTA cents the1950,The ATSC you are thinking of is this mobile ATSC,and that is what the FCC is testing to see if it mess is with ,reg TV,broadcasting I hope not or visevers on the mobile part .

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Well I gess u are rong we have Ben useing ATSC for TV OTA cents the1950,The ATSC you are thinking of is this mobile ATSC,and that is what the FCC is testing to see if it mess is with ,reg TV,broadcasting I hope not or visevers on the mobile part .

Again you don't have a clue. The USA used NTSC analog until the switch to digital and ATSC 1.0. See the 1.0 part. It is not compatible with ATSC 3.0 and 3.0 consists of many parts not just possible mobile reception.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ntsc-and-atsc/

Now to add a 2nd annoying person to my ignore list.

OK now ATSC, what's the MHZ;is it low,or hi vhf,or is it UHF ??
And are all the towers set up are they all set up and reddy to
Go broadcasting!! Testing in progress for 3.0 .
And how well will it work white house FCC Ethernet Pervaders
With no caps on how much they can change for it ,it's time to boycott???
Before it gets started in to deep time to vote ? & stop the FCC before it's to late !

Last edited:
Someone already answered this for you before. ATSC is all 3, Lo VHF, Hi VHF and UHF. It's not a frequency, it's a standard set forth for digital TV. Look up ATSC on Wikipedia, or somewhere of your choice.

OK now ATSC, what's the MHZ;is it low,or hi vhf,or is it UHF ??
I've definitively answered this question already. Apparently you didn't get it.

ATSC modulation standards are like NASCAR car standards. Back in the day, cars had to be homologated stock models (NTSC). Then along came restrictor plates and spoiler restrictions on cars that were at least shaped like their front wheel drive factory counterparts (DTV). Since 2008 we have the "Car of Tomorrow" (ATSC 3.0) that runs on gasohol and isn't really identifiable as any factory produced automobile outside of the wrap decorations.

The "bandwidth" that all of these cars run on is still the race track. NTSC, DTV and ATSC 3.0 all drive on the same asphalt (although the track has narrowed with the introduction of each).

I know have bad spelling sometimes and some bad grammar but at least I make the attempt to make a sentence. Are you texting on a phone or are you on a computer? Please type out a regular sentence people will take you more seriously when you do. Are you trying to be like Bob Dylan or Ozzy Osbourne they sound the same when they run their words together. When you go for job interview do you do the same thing? You sound smarter when you put an actual sentence together. I didn't want to say anything but it's getting dumb. Let's get back to talking about OTA tv.

I've been amazed in the past few weeks at how many people don't know that OTA TV exists. They know about cable and satellite TV, and now are hearing about TV via the internet, but a friend did a survey here locally in San Francisco and a large number of people didn't know that you could connect an antenna to your TV set and get beautiful HD pictures. (What did they think that tall Sutro Tower was used for?) I think it's time for TV stations to publicize the fact that you can get free TV really easy by simply buying an antenna... or would that upset the cable and satellite operators too much?

Are people in other parts of the country similarly unaware of OTA TV?

I talk to people almost DAILY at work who are FED up with paying $100 + for television and getting dozens of channels they NEVER watch.

When I tell them about ANTENNA they are like "What?" "What is that?" This is mostly younger folks... and I'm only 49, but, I'm like "This is what I watched when I was young and we couldn't afford cable.....".

Then I mention just get an antenna and use your Roku and maybe if you really NEED extra you can add Sling and you will have plenty. Add a Tivo and you can even record your antenna TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)