Over The Air Scanning Questions (PSIP data missing post here)

agree with oddwunn..post #27
what good is the scanning if you have "no info" and can only get what Voom has you programmed to get. Just ain't Right!
damn Russian Dictating SOB's

DIGITAL~DAN,

I hooked up the old splitter once again last night and ran an RG6 to my old DST-3000. Everything turned out great. I get all my local OTA HD channels on my second TV. No sign of overheating of the power supply for the in-line amplifier.

Tony.

Sean:
Any idea how long it will take VOOM to add the new channels and subchannels to my map?
Thanks,
Joseph

jnardone said:
Hi:
I spent a couple of hours last night scanning for OTA's in several directions and I picked up 24 new channels that come in clearly w/sound and video. 3 of these were additional sub-channels for channels that VOOM already had in the "list" for my ZIP code and 21 of them are not on my list. All 24 new channels list "no info" in the program guide. Sean - I sent you an email with a list of the channels that VOOM needs to add to the "list" for my ZIP code and I also called VOOM today to see if they coulc just add to the list over the phone. The first CSR told me "FCC regulations prohibit VOOM from providing programming information for channels that are not listed for your ZIP code". I didn't think that this was true so I asked to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor seemed to think that I was calling to complain that I could not receive channels that were in my program guide (I guess that is what a lot of people call about) but after a while she understood that I needed channels added to VOOM's list for my ZIP code. She said that she did not know if that was possible but that someone would call me back within 3 days. Shouldn't she have known that this was possible? It is possible isn't it? The channels are not much good without the guide information. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be receiving them but I also feel like if VOOM had its act together when it launched I would have been enjoying 24 additional local channels for the past 7 months.
Thanks,
Joseph

Any word on the Super DMA Map?

I am fortunate in that I can receive broadcast programming from multiple sources: DC, Richmond, Baltimore, Charlottesville. DC is my primary DMA and all channels are fully mapped and integrated into the PG.

Ok, it's late September...has anyone heard of a release date for the Motorola Super DMA Map?

I am unable to lock a handful of stations that are displaying a signal level above 90. The broadcasters all say they are sending a valid PSIP data stream, but for whatever reason the VOOM STB and newer Samsung receivers have trouble locking these channels during OTA scan - it's a huge issue with the VOOM STB since they do not allow manual tuning.

I tried scanning again and now it picks up PBS but won't pickup Fox.

Edit: 10/12: I can now pickup Fox, when I was trying before, Fox was in the middle of getting ready for HD and they were redoing their PSIP, now I get all of my OTA digital channels. :)

DarrellP said:
I tried scanning again and now it picks up PBS but won't pickup Fox.

Are you thinking the latest firmware update has to do with MPA?

When there is a update there should be a announcement of the benefits(here I go again)
Voom needs to take credit for their actions, even if it is to fix a problem, take credit, Talk to us!

Sean, the Portland area has a new digital channel, KPXG channel 22, it's our PAX affiliate, any chance we can get it added to the EPG? I added it with a scan, but there is no program info for the channels. Thanks.

Oh! I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the reminder, Darrell!

Sean,
Slick and I have a problem with channel 56-2 (WTVS) in Detroit. It's a PBS sub-channel (shows what they're airing on the non-digital feed, I think)type thing and no program guide information shows up for it - just (no info). Slick's concerned about being able to record from it when the DVR comes out. How can we go about getting the guide info up for it? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Timm

On these local channels without PGI, the engineers have said that we'll have to wait until the super DMA mapping is out. It is supposed to be next after 7.26.

Edit:

Let me take it a step back. Are those channels in your current DMA or are they coming from a different DMA.

If they are within the same DMA, send me an email and I will enquire about that. If they are not in your current DMA, it will need to wait until super DMA is out.

***with scanning function you can get OTA channels out of your DMA.

Hello there Sean I figure I would respond to the post that TheTimm posted on here and see if I can be of some help.. I am not sure what you mean by DMA,but this is what I can tell you.. I have always had all my locals that I wanna watch in the program guide including 56-1 which is HD and 56-2 which is a non digital like TheTimm has said, but 56-2 has always showed up with no info on the program guide and I guess 56-2 is a 2nd or sub channel for (WTVS) in Detroit..

The only reason why I care about this channel is that it has totally diffrent programing from 56-1.. Well I hope I helped shed some light on our problem and if you have any insight on how TheTimm and I can get programing to show up I am sure we both would apperciate it.. Thanks Cya Slick

qpham said:
Voom does not offer local channels(Analog). How do you get these local channels ?
You can use a VCR or your TV's tuner if it has them. My Panny E85 has an analog tuner and it gives a better picture than a SD digital source does. My Dish 6000 also tunes in Analog but the picture sucks big time. I record all of my Survivor episodes in Analog.

Do you use the same antenna for both local analog and local HD channels ?
I want to move from local cable company to Voom, but still wonder about the local analog and local HD.

Since the SW update I have been having a problem getting my local NBC station. The primary channel comes in (7.1) but not the sub channel (7.2). I was getting both prior to the update. When I do a scan, the scan bar hesitates at NBC's frequency (8) but then after a couple of minutes it continues without picking it up. I can still get it with my tv's built in atsc tuner, but the voom's tuner is way better. I dont know if this is a station psip problem or a voom sw problem. Does anyone have an idea on the super dma release date?

qpham said:
Do you use the same antenna for both local analog and local HD channels ?
Yes, you can use the same antenna for all types of OTA channels.
Just to clarify: There are:
1. Local analog SD channels
2. Local digital SD channels
3. Local digital HD channels​
VOOM STB cannot tune to analog channels, but any TV set can.
It is possible (though not always easy due to diplexers) to split the antenna cable between VOOM STB (for digital SD and HD) and your TV set or VCR (for analog SD channels).

Thanks Ilya, so I have to switch the input on the TV for ANT when I want to watch the local analog channels and other input which the VOOM box is connected to either by DVI or Component cable. With the COX cable box I just stay in the same input of my TV.

qpham said:
Thanks Ilya, so I have to switch the input on the TV for ANT when I want to watch the local analog channels and other input which the VOOM box is connected to either by DVI or Component cable.
Yes. But you only need to do this if there are some important analog channels that are not yet available to you in digital form. Eventually, all channels will be digital. Analog broadcast is scheduled to be shut down completely.

Switching inputs is not always convenient, but if it's just one analog channel that you are concerned about, you can even switch to it with VOOM remote (INPUT button) and an added bonus: you can use your TV set's picture-in-picture feature to watch VOOM and an analog channel at the same time. I do this from time to time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts