Over/Under: Will E* have it's six announced HD Locals up by Q1 2008?

Over/Under for Q1 HD Locals

• Under (Before March 31)

Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Over (After March 31)

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • Way Over (3+ Months)

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
E* announced to retailers that they would be launching HD Locals in the following six markets by Q1 2008:

Cleveland, Ohio
Flint, Michigan
Ft. Myers, Florida
Greenville, North Carolina
Orlando, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida

Well, we are about a month away. What do you think? Though I have joked in the past of an over/under of June 1st, 2008, I'll give Dish the benefit of the doubt and make it March 31st, 2008.

These don't do me any good though. I am in Louisville KY. A place where everyone is getting dtv, because they do have HD lil.

Dish has made hd locals a priority over hd national. I would expect locals to be lighting up "soon":)

E* announced to retailers that they would be launching HD Locals in the following six markets by Q1 2008:

Cleveland, Ohio
Flint, Michigan
Ft. Myers, Florida
Orlando, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida

Well, we are about a month away. What do you think? Though I have joked in the past of an over/under of June 1st, 2008, I'll give Dish the benefit of the doubt and make it March 31st, 2008.
I'm gonna say that 4 of the 6 will be up by the end of April, just because I think they can do the four from spots on one 61.5 transponder, once they have E12 in spotbeam mode. Of course, if something happens to AMC-14, all bets are off. :)

Think they'll make it by 03/31/2008, of course that will be just after "the sky will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing " or something like that.

If Cleveland isn't up by the middle of April, I may seriously look into U-Verse :(

I much rather have national HD channels like CNN, SciFi and the like instead of local HD -- to get locals people should use a HD antenna--just my opinion.

I much rather have national HD channels like CNN, SciFi and the like instead of local HD -- to get locals people should use a HD antenna--just my opinion.

I have my locals hd via Dish. I live too far away to get anything from antenna. I think most people that are on here wanting local hd are in the same boat. If I didn't have my hd locals , that would be the first hd channels I would want.

Think they'll make it by 03/31/2008, of course that will be just after "the sky will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing " or something like that.

Well after all, these discussions are all about "The Audacity of Hope". Audacity indeed. :D

I receive my HD locals OTA via a top quaility antenna with a preamp and rotor but I'll still be happy when Dish gets 'em, supposedly by the end of next month---I'm in the Flint, Michigan DMA. In bad weather, especially high winds, they're just not reliable and fooling around with the rotor to get the optimin signal can be a PITA. MOST of the time its good but I suspect a lot of people that receive their TV OTA only are gonna be pretty upset when next Feb. comes around unless they raise signal strength. JMHO.

ED

I have my locals via Antenna (Orlando), however there are MANY times that 2 programs are on 2 diff local channels and I have to sacrifice one of them and record in SD. Not to mention, the fact that some of the channels sometimes go in and out due to signal strength, despite a roof mount antenna.

Dish has made hd locals a priority over hd national. I would expect locals to be lighting up "soon":)

I agree totally. Everything I've read, including Charlie's lament over the latest financials, indicates that DN is focused on HD locals. Frankly, if I were looking for an advantage over D* I too would try to get HD locals and the "single dish" service launched as soon as possible to target those customers who want locals, some national HD but who can't handle that humongous 5-sat D* dish.

That's why I don't see Dish doing much in the national HD arena for awhile; maybe a handful of new, inexpensive channels by the end of the year. My opinion, other posters have theirs, none of us knows for sure. We just switch or wait. If I'm dissatisfied with the channels I'm getting I don't blame Dish, just myself. They are doing what they feel is best for them.

Last edited:

Cleveland, Ohio
Flint, Michigan
Ft. Myers, Florida
Orlando, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida

Orlando, Ft. Myers and West Palm Beach HD local network channels are now testing on spot beams at 61.5°. So, it looks like thre of the six will be available by Mar31.

Of course Cleveland won't be ready :( This is getting really frustrating!

Join the club! I know 97% of the people here don't care if Cleveland gets HD locals, but I hope Charlie has SOMETHING to say about this tonight. (not getting my hopes up though)

DVR time-change pitfall

Hallmark Movie Channel HD on April 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts