Overall 922 Assessments?

/dev/null

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Hi all,

I have been watching the 922 escapades for several months now since it was released. Even after this amount of time that has gone by it still seems that this is not ready for true prime time for what appears to be a multitude of reasons, including, but not limited to: unreliable recording, widely varying user experiences (e.g., what does not work for someone works fine for others), power, interoperability, quality, sling, etc.

So what I am looking for is a general consensus from the very smart and knowledgeable folks here of whether or not, all things considered, upgrading to the 922 is even worth it. I absolutely have to have 100% reliable operations (just like I do on my old 625). I am never an early adopter in anything in technology if I have to shell out $$$ for it and so I rather sit back and watch the events unfold. Thus far, from my engineering background, my personal assessment is that the 922 is not worth it at this point in time and best to grab a 722k instead.

Also, anyone have any idea when the Sling Extender will be available?

Thanks for your valuable time,

If you want 100% reliable recordings, the 922 is not for you. I have another DVR to cover for it. It gets almost all of them, but not all of them.

I have always been able to access remotely, but others have not had the luck.

I have had the 922 since May 6th. So the 3 months I have had it here is what I know.

1. The dvr is reliable for me on my recordings. It wasn't always that way at first. But now it pretty much records everything I set it to do. The real test is this fall when the new tv season starts. There will be multiple shows set on all 4 channels at the same time. But just in case I have L.A. distants through All American Direct to back me up on conflict nights when I need to record all 5 major networks.

2. ON the same topic as above there is no way to set manual timers or dish pass timers through the receiver itself. You can only set those over remote access feature on your dish account over the internet. Still works the same but a different way to achieve it.

3. The dish sling is not always reliable , but it often depends on your internet provider & or you computer itself. I had ATT and the best internet they could provide. Supposedly 6mbs. It would not work on a reliable basis and there was no way to get HD to work over the computer. It only worked on ota channels in hd, not over satellite channels.

I recently got a new more stronger computer with quad processor speed , 8gbs of memory, 1 tb hard drive and I got TWC road runner ( 7 mbps x 512 kbps) with power boost add on (up to 10 mbps x 1 mpbs). Now I can sling in HD over the computer on any channel ota or satellite. VERY COOL feature. So in my case it was the older dell computer with less processing speed and the ATT internet , that was causing my problems with sling.

4. As for the Play on application that allows you to see Hula.com , netflix,etc over the receiver and the tv itself. That too was not working due to the computer and the internet provider. It works now for the most part , but at times it will stop and freeze ,especially when my son plays x-box live in his room at the same time as I am trying to use play on application over the internet. I think there is only so much bandwith coming in the house and sometimes we have both computers on and the play on and the X box all running at the same time.

As for the sling media extender, it is rumored to be delayed now till the end of the year. A shame because I would of used it on my back tv instead of another 211k receiver. The only regret I have NOW is that there is still NO ARCHIVING feature to the external hard drive. You can see the shows easily enough now through the external hard drive ,due to the latest software update without having to transfer them to the receiver first. But I really want to be able to archive movies as I have over 104 movies on my receiver now and all of them are in hd. The internal hard drive is 1 tb and 500 gbs are mine to use , but I am having to watch closely and delete some movies I wanted to save due to space. I had already transfered all my shows to my receiver last month so I could still watch them and now I have 1 tb external hard drive sitting there not able to be used .

So in my opinion unless you want the latest receiver, I would not get a 922 YET. I think the 722k with a sling adapter( not yet released) would accomplish the same thing as the 922 can do now , and you still can use your external hard drive archiving feature . I think the 922 will be a good receiver someday, but it has a lot of work to get it to the flagship receiver status that DISH says it is now.

worthless until it gets ehd and dish pass, they also should reenable tv 2 so its not sling only

thanks chuck you *uck, making customers feel like alpha testers everyday

I got to be honest at this point in time you are still better off with a 622/722 or 722k and a stand alone Slingbox Pro HD unit, then with a 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)