Overwhelmed… Need some antenna help…

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Y2KsilverTA

Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
austin
I am working on a little setup for our shop so I can watch some TV in addition to listening to the radio. I cleaned up an old rooftop antenna that was on our house from the previous owner, mounted it by the shop, and hooked it up to an extra TV we had thru a cheap RCA converter. I was quite surprised that I could pick up Austin, San Antonio, Temple, etc… stations although not 100% reliable. When I searched for channels it found 29 but not all of them will come in now that the antenna has moved around. As you can see from the map, I am between 2 large cities and (I think) have potential to receive a lot of stations. I would like to buy an antenna that will suit my needs but honestly, I have no idea what I need. If someone would be so kind as to suggest a setup or point me in a direction so I can do some research I would appreciate it.

map3.jpg

map2g.jpg

signaldetails.png

chanlist1.jpg

chanlist2.jpg

I am working on a little setup for our shop so I can watch some TV in addition to listening to the radio.

The data does seem overwhelming. Try the attachment, it shows post transition DTV data only.

Note that KTBC is going to channel 7 (your main FOX station) and KCWX (your 2nd CW station) is moving to channel 5, and is in a unique direction.

You could go with a small 7-69 (Winegard HD-7694P or Antennacraft HBU-22) aimed at 37 degrees and a larger 7-69 (Winegard HD7698P) aimed at 194 degrees. You would use an A/B switch to decide which direction to aim. If you have a DVR, connect it to the 37 degree array only.

The 37 degree antenna won't need a preamp. The 194 degree antenna could use one if you find unstable reception.

To get KCWX use an Antennacraft Y5-2-6, split it two ways, and add it to the other two antennas with HLSJ joiners. If you do it that way the A/B switch will receive KCWX in both positions. This antenna will also pick up FM radio.

Attachments

• Overwhelmed.PNG
    Overwhelmed.PNG
    54.1 KB · Views: 200
Stop and think what do I want to watch. Which stations have the news and weather that I am interested in. If you can get FOX from three different locations how much difference am I going to see in programming? I have multiple CBS/NBC/FOX/CW and MYTV stations that I can watch most of the time during prime time they show the same programs at the same time.

Do you need a complex system just because it can be done will it work reliably? You can aim the existing antenna at 31 degrees for stations 22 miles away and have the major networks with expected good reliability. Try it for a month and see if you need more channels before you complicate life.

I'm with boba; focus on Austin/Temple stations, and try to see if there's anything you're actually missing. The 65"-long Winegard HD7694P is a great solution, though it's not specifically tuned for FM frequencies.

I wouldn't use that Winegard HD7698P pointed at 194°; that's a great big combo antenna (2.5 times the size of the Winegard HD7694P), and you don't need VHF, you just need UHF and FM. It's a fine antenna, don't get me wrong, but for the same money or less you could get a UHF antenna that would likely perform as well without being such an insurance liability. With your distance from San Antonio, do you really need FM radio from there?

For giggles and snorts one day, take the '7694, swing it towards San Antonio, and see what you pick up with it. At about 55 miles, you're beyond the ideal bubble for that antenna, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)