Owned HR10-250 upgrade to HR20 best deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimK2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I own and paid almost $600 for the HR10-250 18 months ago. Anybody getting free HR20 upgrade and free showtime or hbo or some other additional credit's as compensation.

i got a "free" upgrade... 20 dollars for handling was all i paid... i didnt ask about free channels...since i got the box for free...

Yes. Ask for retention or say cancel when the auto attendant comes on. Just mention your scenario and see what they can do for you. If that doesn't work, be polite but mention about canceling service and going to Dish since they have a free HD DVR. If you are really stone walled by the retention rep, call back later.

Yes. Ask for retention or say cancel when the auto attendant comes on. Just mention your scenario and see what they can do for you. If that doesn't work, be polite but mention about canceling service and going to Dish since they have a free HD DVR. If you are really stone walled by the retention rep, call back later.

I have found that recently (like the last 3 months) i havent had to talk to retention when there was a problem or if i wanted an upgrade (I upgraded once, but had some interesting problems arise)

I have an HR 10-250 which I purchased 2 years ago. I sent an email to customer care complaining about having to pay for the HR20 and a new dish (I mentioned canceling in my email and was considering switching to E*) and I got a call 2 days later asking me when I wanted the install done. No costs, no hassles; install is scheduled for today (about a week after they called me.

I called retention a couple days ago and was able to get two free HR20's . I have 2 HR10-250's on my account, as well as one HR20 and one Phillips Tivo (old old model). The gal at retention told me I was entitled to two free HR20 upgrades, and could keep my two HR10-250's as I owned them (as opposed to leased them). A tech is supposed to deliver them next Tuesday. I really didn't need two HR20's, but how do you turn down a free DVR. I had planned to switch out the old Phillips unit but will now also switch out one of my HR10-250's (put it in the closet in case the other one dies some day). Even after Directv switches all HD to MPEG-4, the HR10-250's will still be good for Directv standard resolution programs and for over the air HD via an antenna.

I paid 899 for mine, got 250 or 350 in program credits and sold mine after 26 months ... I called D* and have a free HR20 coming. Free I think since I am once again an NFL ST sub.

I paid 899 for mine, got 250 or 350 in program credits and sold mine after 26 months ... I called D* and have a free HR20 coming. Free I think since I am once again an NFL ST sub.

Will I be able to sell my (owned) HR10 on ebay or will DirecTV take it.

It is a defintie fact that one would have to talk to retention, as they are the only ones that seem to know their own product. Just for fun, I called the regular number and talked to a csr. 1st to ask why I was not auto renewed for NFL Superfan (got it got for $0 last 2 years). She said it is $99. Then I asked about the HD upgrade and was told all I would need is a new 5 LBN dish ($49). I currently have 2 - HR10-250's. What a joke ! LMAO

It is a defintie fact that one would have to talk to retention, as they are the only ones that seem to know their own product. Just for fun, I called the regular number and talked to a csr. 1st to ask why I was not auto renewed for NFL Superfan (got it got for $0 last 2 years). She said it is $99. Then I asked about the HD upgrade and was told all I would need is a new 5 LBN dish ($49). I currently have 2 - HR10-250's. What a joke ! LMAO

I'm running into the same crap. They expect me to pay for SF when I already pay for HD and Sunday Ticket. No freaking way. They insist I paid for it last year when in fact I did and they gave me a $100 credit. I asked for the same thing and he insisted SF is different and can't do that.

Even more hilarious, they told me via email they would call. I wrote back and gave them my cell phone number and told them to call that number as we have the ringers on our home phone off and no answering machine (who uses home phones anymore?). No call. I send another email. No call.

I finally called them and they're not budging. I'm on hold with retention at this moment... what a pain in the butt.

I like my HR10-250s but I'm beginning to worry about the whole MPEG thing. So in essence, I'm paying for HD but getting 1/5 the channels everybody else will get in the next month. Lame.

Is there a retention number I can call directly? I have the HR10-250 with the 3 lnb dish and need to be upgraded to receive all the new HD channels.
Thanks

Upgrade

I called them last week to change some programming as the website wouldn'tl let me make the change I wanted. While I was one the phone with the CSR I also asked to upgrade my system. She had to transfer me to customer retention. They pulled up my account and gave me a new HR20 and 2 H20s as I had an HR10 and 2 other receivers on my account. I guess I was lucky as the installer in the Phoenix area had a opening the next day. I got all that done for free.

E* is currently offering new customers a free HD PVR, 6 months of HD programming, & 3 months of HBO.

I called the D* customer service number and said "Cancel" to the voice prompt. When the rep answered, I explained the E* deal on their website and told her to check it out. She said that she could match the deal and even offer me all the premium channels for 3 months free just to beat them. I took it. She said they would move my HD Tivo to another TV. I told her I wanted to move it to my other HD TV but what would be the point if they were phasing it out.

She offered to sell me an additional HR20 for $99 so I jumped on it. :up

Very simple and painless since E* has this promo going, how can they not match just to keep you.

Hr10-250

I had a HR10-250 as well and was able to get a new HR20 for shipping only $20 & 2yr renew. As far as SF they did bill me for the $99 on top of the ST $250'ish. I called them and was able to get them to credit me the SF portion. Just was polite but firm. Being that they are so busy with the new HD's they might be less likely to discount as much. Good luck.

I'm running into the same crap. They expect me to pay for SF when I already pay for HD and Sunday Ticket. No freaking way. They insist I paid for it last year when in fact I did and they gave me a $100 credit. I asked for the same thing and he insisted SF is different and can't do that.

Amazing how some people expect something for nothing like it they earn it by subscribing. Kinda like going to your local gas station and demanding gasoline for the same price as last year cuz you buy there all the time. Amazing.:rolleyes:

Amazing how some people expect something for nothing like it they earn it by subscribing. Kinda like going to your local gas station and demanding gasoline for the same price as last year cuz you buy there all the time. Amazing.:rolleyes:

What's wrong with trying to get the best deal? I asked nice and they (D*) gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I paid the $20 shipping, and they gave me a HR20 and about $60 of credits to boot. Amazing what you can get, IF you ask.:D

After reading this site for the past week...I decided to bite the bullet and say goodbye to my HR10-250 (I will miss the Tivo).

I called the regular number and said "cancel". I've had D for 3 years and have the Premier Package. I mentioned I'm seeing much better deals from my cable company and Dish. I used Dish as my example.

Here's what I got:

1. HR20 and new installation for $20 (includes setting up my Tivo in another room).
2. Free HD for 12 months.
3. Free DVR service for 12 months.
4. $10/mo credit for 12 months.
5. $78 instant credit (to equal 6 months of free HBO which I already get w/ Premium.
6. Installation in less than 48 hours.

This will help ease the pain of losing my dual buffer and list guide. Now bring on those HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)