P* Dish pics / measurements / part numbers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not too bad of a break. Clean up that area a little more and use some fiberglass reson on it to glue it back up or just try some good glue. A small screw to hold it together would make it stronger.

Good luck with it.

Shawn95GT said:
I took the dish off of the mount today to clean it up. The good news it that the dish itself is pretty light. The dish / LNB arms only weighs about 10# by my bathroom scale.

I noticed some damage to the edge of the dish but I don't think it'll affect the dish's performance any.

I don't think the Dish500 mount will be of any use to add skew to this dish. I'm sure I could 'make it work' but the Dish500 mount looks a bit 'light duty' for this dish.

Do the 30"+ dishes just have a pole mount that lends itself well to the motor-pole mount or do you have to kind of hack something together? My only concern doing so with this dish is that I won't have any means to set / measure the declination.

PopcornNMore said:
Shawn,

My dish has the same measurements as yours. If you could tell me how long your LNBF support arm is, I would really appreciate it.

Dave
16.5" lip of the dish to the where the LNB mount attaches to it. 18" lip of the dish to the face of the LNB mount.

About the length of the arm on the primestar 40 x 30 oval dish, it actually depends on the feedhorn used. There were 2 different feedhorns used. One is about 2.6 inches in diamaeter. The other was larger (about 3 inches I think). Anyway, the smaller diameter feedhorn used a very slightly longer arm whereas the larger diameter feed used a very slightly shorter arm. This was done to place the feeds at just the optimum focal point for each one. look for a sticker on the bottom of your arm. If it was used with 2.6 diameter feedhorn it will say something to the effect that the arm should only be used for 84E dishes (this is the 40 x 30 model, the 36 x 26 is 74E) and that it should only be used with the 2.6 feedhorn.

Anyway, as for LNB on the primestar dishes, if you look at the stock LNB and feedhorn you'll notice they used a separate feedhorn and LNB. That is the feedhorn and LNB are 2 separate peices bolted together. This is what differentiates an LNB from an LNBF. An LNBF is an LNB with the feedhorn made onto it. That's what the "F" on the end stands for. Anyway, the primestars have a feedhorn with what is known as a "C120 Flange". In fact, I believe most all of the Channel master primestar and dircet PC dishes used these. What I recommend doing is sticking with the original Primestar feedhorn because it is optimised for the size, shape, F/D ratio, and focal point of the dish. An LNBF will not be. An LNBF will be optimised for whatever dish the manufacturer of it recommends to use it with. Therefore, I recommend either using the stock primestar LNB with the feedhorn or purchasing an LNB that mounts to a C120 Flange and attaching it to the primestar feedhorn. This is the only way you'll likely get optimum performance. I personally use a stock primestar LNB with my 84E and it seems to perform quite well. However, if you must use an aftermarket LNB, Invacom makes a C120 flange LNB. To be quite honest though, the original primestar LNBs might not actually be a bad choice. One thing to remember about LNBs is there are many parameters that affect their performance and are quite important other than just simply the noise figure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts