P266 Dark Video Thread

I have a 4:3 sony 36" CRT HD set. The picture got a little brighter but not anywhere near where the 6000 was. I would say on a scale of 100 it got about 25% better but needs to go about 75% more. (Dish 500, Legacy system, P266LABD, Bootstrap Version: 1010 LABD-N, 12/13 811 install,

Carl B said:
A note regarding the monitor used to view the 811's PQ. The Sony and other LCD projection monitors have a severe "crushed blacks" problem to begin with. No change to the 811 will fix that. They will always lack definition in dark scenes. The CRTs, plasmas, CRT RP/TV, and DLPs don't have that problem and will be a better test of the darkness issue w/ the 811.

While I agree... what you will probably see is several replies from people comparing the darkness on the 811 side-by-side with another DISH receiver on the same TV set, or from other video devices like VCRs and DVD players.

Interesting situation this evening:

I'm watching "The Count of Monte Cristo" on 343 and I'm getting occasional image and audio "snaps" and "pops" (akin to what I saw many, many years ago when watching OTA channels and there was a lightening storm 20+ miles away - oh, there's no lightening around the area tonight).

However, this movie is a great test for the darkness issue and how the 266 software performs. I've noticed some of the issues Keith has mentioned, that blacks sometimes take on an almost chiseled look to them, with no definition to the very dark areas. But still, 266 is an improvement. Not a complete fix, but a definite improvement over 265. Prior to 266, the Chateau D'If scenes were essentially unwatchable. Now they are once again easily watchable, with ample enough detail that I'm not sitting here grumbling about the solid blue/black "fuzz" of the dark areas in the picture.

I just received the 811 recently. My software version is 266-LADD-N after the update.

On OTA HDTV programs (such as CSI) through S-video, the video is still dark. I don't know if there was an improvement or not. It was dark before and it is still dark now. My previous 6000 and my regular Tivo tuner are both MUCH brighter.

I only bought this thing for OTA SD and HDTV recording via S-Video to a Tivo with occasional sat viewing (I have another 301 for that). This problem makes it virtually unuseable.

I talked with someone in the Executive office. He insisted that 266 fixed the dark video issue. He said that I could try an exchange if I wanted. I guess I'll try an exchange first before I give up and have to return the receiver.

If 266 was the fix and they think they have got it, then why am I and others still having the problem.

I think everyone who still has the problem should call and ask to speak with the Executive Office and inform them that the problem still exists. If that doesn't happen, I think they may blow off this issue. After all, if 266 was supposed to fix this and they don't know it didn't, then there is no reason for them to continue trying and put any more fixes for that issue in future releases.

tholden1 said:
I just received the 811 recently. My software version is 266-LADD-N after the update.

On OTA HDTV programs (such as CSI) through S-video, the video is still dark. I don't know if there was an improvement or not. It was dark before and it is still dark now. My previous 6000 and my regular Tivo tuner are both MUCH brighter.

I only bought this thing for OTA SD and HDTV recording via S-Video to a Tivo with occasional sat viewing (I have another 301 for that). This problem makes it virtually unuseable.

I talked with someone in the Executive office. He insisted that 266 fixed the dark video issue. He said that I could try an exchange if I wanted. I guess I'll try an exchange first before I give up and have to return the receiver.

If 266 was the fix and they think they have got it, then why am I and others still having the problem.

I think everyone who still has the problem should call and ask to speak with the Executive Office and inform them that the problem still exists. If that doesn't happen, I think they may blow off this issue. After all, if 266 was supposed to fix this and they don't know it didn't, then there is no reason for them to continue trying and put any more fixes for that issue in future releases.

Wonder if this dark video issue is not just a software issue with all 811's? Maybe it's a hardware issue with some of the receivers, since not everyone reporting is still having the dark video with 266?

Ok,

As we're told Dish engineers read these threads on occasion... why not the following.

Dish Engineers....

'As your Executive office seems to think that all the video problems reading dark images are resolved, why not get management approval for the following:

Create a new user on this board, and PM some of the users (like me!) who still think that the video is dark (better after 2.66 but not perfect).

Then arrange for us to get new units (which you think are perfect!) and we'll send back ours for you to evaluate as a "representative field sample set".

You can then figure out the problems with different video "brightness" issues and we've helped you fix the problem.'

For my $0.02, I suspect that it's a combination of SW *AND* HW. Different mask levels of the Broadcom chips in the receiver is probably defining different Gamma levels for the outputs. If you get a field sample set and run the same tests on each, you should either be able to fix the problem (if there's a revision readback in the devices?) or create a table of gammas that users can cycle through via a menu to allow the brightness level to be set "as to personal preference"

How's that for an idea?

I have firmware version 1010LADD, and now software version 266.

My monitor is a Sammy HLN567W.

Over DVI (which I primarily use), 266 is not only noticably brighter, but also blacks and whites are not as crushed as they were with 265. Ditto for component.

S-video is now what I would deem "usable", although far from perfect. I haven't noticed the black crush over S-video some have reported. I didn't have a chance to play around too much this morning, but I'm curious what effect adjusting the gamma curve may have.

As a side note, my receiving 266 was a bit of a shock, since I didn't have the 811 configured to automatically update. Maybe a reset forces a return to the default? Also strange was the fact that last night I had 265, didn't power off the unit, and this morning awoke to 266. Strange.

At this point 266 acomplished nothing that I can see. Sd is still dark through the S-Video. No difference using components but I did not have an issue with that. Acquiring Sat signal is not fixed..

sirlurkalot said:
Ok,

As we're told Dish engineers read these threads on occasion... why not the following.

Seriously? I hadn't heard that, but hey, if it's true, then indeed, it would be nice if they would take a baseline sample and work to correct the issue for everyone.

I'm not seeing the crushed blacks on most channels anymore, and no more blue/black fuzz with 266, so I'm fairly content.

johnny_b said:
Todays retailer chat states that there are alot of 811's in stock. Does anyony know if the darkness issue is resolved on these new 811's.

If your picky or even like a quality picture- i'd wait- Dark issue is a pisser........I almost always watch my 510 on a tv that cost a quarter of my HD tv!

If any of you guys that call dish looking for something else- get your way let me know........

From what I can tell the 2.66 did fix the dark video for some and not others. Dark Video is mainly an issue with the svideo and composite. The DVI and Component for most feel it is good. With 2.66, I did find it helped a bit on my DVI with relation to Dark content. I have not spent a lot of time on svideo because I have not use for it. I did take a quick look at it appread to be better but nothing great.

Since I don't have a 508 or other svideo out SD content producer I can't make a side by side comparison. If you are going to use in for Component or DVI and you want to catch some HD, I would go for it at the 99/149 price. If you are going to hook it up to a Tivo or DVD recorder you might want to wait.

With 266 I found the darkness to be more the same when going from input to input. Once the picture was adjusted for one input it looked good on the others as well. So, for me at least, I think there was an improvment.

I just got an 811 yesterday and i have a 53 in panasonic widescreen and i think that the sd channels look better through the s-video than the component. I dont have a dvi cable yet but i don't see the darkness thing at all with either hookup.

mattzane227,

Could you tell us if the software version is 266 or later.

For the rest of us, I talked with Dish tech support yesterday and he stated that there was another software update coming out before the end of the month... he thought. He said that it was to further address the dark video.

Regards

yeah its 266. Maybe component does look a little better. Svideo is a little darker maybe but not so much where it looks bad enough to talk about. The sd pq is kindof crappy looking but thats b/c its stretched out. It looks alot better when i put the bars on the side but i dont want the burn in factor. I think that my tvs stretch mode is a little better than the 811's though

Dick Sommers said:
mattzane227,

Could you tell us if the software version is 266 or later.

For the rest of us, I talked with Dish tech support yesterday and he stated that there was another software update coming out before the end of the month... he thought. He said that it was to further address the dark video.

Regards

What month? Are we there yet?

keith said:
Software version: P266LABD-N Boot strap version: 1010LABD

s-video got much brighter, but image quality is still MEDIOCRE. As I feared, the brightness is pushed up but the black crush got WORSE. Now, anything that is dark appears as solid charcoal. Absolutely no definition in the blacks at all. All of the near blacks and blacks look like they are cut out of charcoal colored paper and pasted over the image, quite awful.

Hey Dish, just pushing up the brightness isn't going to fool me. I have started my efforts to get the 811 replaced or refunded. This is NEVER getting fixed by a software upgrade.

Keith.

Put your $$$ where your mouth is, Keith! You said before 266 that if it didn't fix your issues, you'd be returning your 811 or switching to DirecTV! So far, all I've seen you do is complain even more :rolleyes:. Instead, do like I did and return that hunk of crap called the 811, at Dish's expense, so we force them to release better quality hardware in the future!!! Constant complaining on this or other forums is not necessarily going to change things :no .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)