Painting 1.2m Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I want to paint my Channel Master 1.2m dish this week and need some advice.

1) Should I use steelwool first?
2) What kind of paint should be used?
3) I want to paint it white, is this ok?

Thank You,
Dave

I used steel wool to clean my channel master plastic type dish before I painted it to clean it mainly. I painted mine flat back with that plastic paint and it looked great. I have heard you dont want a metallic paint so it is not reflective.

good luck!

PopcornNMore said:
I want to paint my Channel Master 1.2m dish this week and need some advice.

1) Should I use steelwool first?
2) What kind of paint should be used?
3) I want to paint it white, is this ok?

Thank You,
Dave

Not white or silver . I would try primer grey .

Wyr

Thank you Greg for the helpful Andrews dish cleaning / painting instructions. I bought some cleaner at Lowes called "krud Cleaner" to remove any grease and dirt that mayu be on the dish as well as some fine steelwool. I am going to use a low sheen satin white spray paint that I also bought at lowes. I will post pictures once my dish is painted and have the new mount installed this weekend.

PopcornNMore said:
Thank you Greg for the helpful Andrews dish cleaning / painting instructions. I bought some cleaner at Lowes called "krud Cleaner" to remove any grease and dirt that mayu be on the dish as well as some fine steelwool. I am going to use a low sheen satin white spray paint that I also bought at lowes. I will post pictures once my dish is painted and have the new mount installed this weekend.

I totally forgot I posted pics of mine painted here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=294023&postcount=20

I think it looks good....

PopcornNMore said:

Best of luck to you , but if the white is shiney enough to cook your LNBF , do not say I did not suggest peimer gray .

Wyr

If the dish has any mold on it make sure it has bleach in it.
Good luck and post a pic when your done.

PopcornNMore said:

I'd use Krylon Fusion paint, for about $4 a spray can at WalMart. If you want to paint it in a color not available in Krylon, both they and Rustolem has a plastic primer. I've tried satin, but flat is better. Lowe's has some 99 cent cans that work good on top of the plastic primer.

Most dishes are powder coated, which means it's a heat melted thermoplastic.

Someday I'm going to get around to painting my 1 meter CM, its looking filthy these days... Popcorn, looking forward to seeing your finished product :)

Tron
Try some Clorox or that "30 Seconds" stuff. It really makes a difference. I put some 30 Seconds in a 409 bottle and spray it on. It really cleans. Try to not do it when the wind blows or it can get all over you

After cleaning the dish with a degreaser bought at Lowes the dish looked so good I decided not to paint it. It matches the house and saved time.

It is called "Krud Kutter" and is sold at Lowes. It made the dish look like new by removing all the grease and grime that was build up on the dish. Since it looked so good I decided not to paint it since it matches the house perfectly. I will probanly paint another 1.2m dish that I have white and use that for C-Band experiments.

Status
Please reply by conversation.