Painting A Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I have some old dishes (both Direct/Dish style as well as FTA type like my favorite Primestar) that I'd like to paint. Are there does or don'ts on this? I'd like to paint a name on it, as well as painting the whole dish. Also, I don't suppose there is some special paint out there that improves the performance of the dish??????

Playing with old equipment is fun. I guess being poor isn't all bad. :D

If I had a BUD, I would paint it white with black letters saying NASA
:D

I have some old dishes (both Direct/Dish style as well as FTA type like my favorite Primestar) that I'd like to paint. Are there does or don'ts on this? I'd like to paint a name on it, as well as painting the whole dish. Also, I don't suppose there is some special paint out there that improves the performance of the dish??????

Playing with old equipment is fun. I guess being poor isn't all bad. :D

I paint my antennas so I can cover up the printing on them.
(NO free advertising from me!)
Just make sure you clean the metal first to remove any oxidation.

I paint my antennas so I can cover up the printing on them.
(NO free advertising from me!)

That's a good idea. Right now "Alphastar" is getting free advertising from me. Too bad they've gone bankrupt and I can't collect any advertising fees from them :) When I was driving through Michigan a couple of months back, I saw a store that was selling dish covers, stick on-ones I guess from what I saw that would allow you to put a cartoon picture, flag, etc on the dish. I didn't bother to stop to see what type of material they were made from, they just looked pretty neat.

That's a good idea. Right now "Alphastar" is getting free advertising from me. Too bad they've gone bankrupt and I can't collect any advertising fees from them :) When I was driving through Michigan a couple of months back, I saw a store that was selling dish covers, stick on-ones I guess from what I saw that would allow you to put a cartoon picture, flag, etc on the dish. I didn't bother to stop to see what type of material they were made from, they just looked pretty neat.

Like these?
http://dishskinz.com/categories.html
:)

DishSkinz

DishSkinz look pretty cool, but I haven't heard of anyone in here that has tried them. Sounds like someone needs to test one out.

However, I still think it is a lot more fun to paint your own dish. Just another aspect of satellite dishes to play around with for fun. I still have some ideas for artwork, and I have some friends that paint cars. I just need to come up with a layout.

If anyone has painted a dish and put some type of logo or picture on it, please post it, so the rest of us can see.

i would use a GLOW paint , as long as it was non metalic!!( i know when painting a dish it has to be a flat paint) i wonder if there is any glow paint that is non metalic ?? hmmm , now it has me thinking,, i have a 1m and a 1.2m channel master that have to be painted in the next week or so???but anyway,, i think it would be cool to have the sun charge the paint all day then come night i can see my dishes

If you want functionality, whatever you paint it with, be sure to put a coat or two of Rain Shield on them.

It will change whatever color you paint the dish with a shade of transparent blue, but you will still be watching Ku signal when everyone else is admiring their nice looking dish becaue that's all they can see.

I just came through 48 hours of first heavy rain, then freezing rain, then a mixture of freezing rain and sleet, then snow on top of that, and I watched my weakest transponders on G10R during the whole process. That is on a Primestar 84e with the grainy surface. It works even better on a smooth surface.

i would use a GLOW paint ........... i have a 1m and a 1.2m channel master that have to be painted in the next week or so???

If you do it. You have to post it. :D And test it, so you can tell us if you have to paint it back cause you get no signal. ROTFL

I want to learn........ from the mistakes of others.......

If you want functionality, whatever you paint it with, be sure to put a coat or two of Rain Shield on them.

Yes, I definitely plan on ordering a few can from one of our sponsors. I have been telling several of my friends about it, and I just need to buy some. we have quite a few dishes to coat. :D

I only bought one can, and used it on my P* dish and my Dish NW pizza pan that we still use for the family sub.

It worked great on both of them during the storm of the last 3 days.

I didn't buy enough to put on my BUD, and am now paying the price waiting for the ice to melt off it. I have C-Band digital, but still no Ku digital on it. Hopefully by the end of the day.

I can guarantee there will be some on that BUD next winter. :D

I painted mine white last year. Used that fancy plastic paint (Krylon). Didn't notice any signal loss at all.
Painted the letters F T A across it with a red lightening bolt underneath.

In campgrounds I had trouble with people parking in front of my dish until I painted it.

Attachments

• satdish 001.jpg
    satdish 001.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 199
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts