Painting a Primestar Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, I plan on painting on of my Primestar dishes. Sounds like Krylon flat black is what to use. Anything else I need to do to prep the fiberglass? Thanks!

I started that one last Saturday, so I figured I would bring it make up instead of making a new thread. It is so hot and humid here, I am not sure I want to mess with the Primestar this weekend. BUT........ I really want to see more birds :)

iafirebuff said:
OK, I plan on painting on of my Primestar dishes. Sounds like Krylon flat black is what to use. Anything else I need to do to prep the fiberglass? Thanks!

Any problems with a Battleship Grey as the original color was?

I wouldn't think so, especially where you are located. Someone on a different thread posted that in colder climates (snow) that black works good as it will melt snow off of the dish real quick.

iafirebuff said:
I wouldn't think so, especially where you are located. Someone on a different thread posted that in colder climates (snow) that black works good as it will melt snow off of the dish real quick.

Very true! All my dish here are MATT/Flat black :)

Black absorbs heat and light, white reflects it, heat rises!

NEVER had a melted or burnt out LNBF, have been painting my dish black for around 20 years.

I do not know about the Primestar dish, but some of the smaller plastic dishes do not have the wire mesh inside, but instead have a metallic paint that is used to reflect the signal. If you clean off the metallic paint, the dish will no longer reflect the signal. Now I have not tried this, but our local Home Hardware store has a paint with a high metal content advertised to be used for you can stick a magnet to the wall. The can of paint was also extremely heavy, so it must have a very high percentage of metal in it. I do not know if this would work with a dish, but some things to consider. Also, in electronics, some of the plastic cases were painted inside with a e-coat paint to act as a shield to the electronics instead of adding a metal shield to the unit. Has anyone experimented by adding a scoup or two of metallic oxide to the paint to see if that has any effect on the performance of the paint?

I spent 88 cents a can for battle ship grey. 3 shades lighter than the standard
d8 color and painted Everything but the white parts of the LNBs on my 72.5 and AT-9 with no issues.
I even painted the wire to the house as the new color matches the siding and blends the dishes to the house much better! I painted all the bolts and screws to stop them from rusting and even the galvanized pole.
it looks 500% better.

Sort of off subject but I have a white dish. I was trying to adjust it at night when I had it mounted on the roof. I was using my brother's LED penlight with a blue LED in it and he said the dish looked really cool with the blue light shining on it. Someday I'm planning to make a sound activated LED light that will come on when the dish is moving, activated by the sound of the motor.

Pittsville said:
Sort of off subject but I have a white dish. I was trying to adjust it at night when I had it mounted on the roof. I was using my brother's LED penlight with a blue LED in it and he said the dish looked really cool with the blue light shining on it. Someday I'm planning to make a sound activated LED light that will come on when the dish is moving, activated by the sound of the motor.

Great idea!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64998&highlight=glow+dark

Attachments

• Pict0009.JPG
    Pict0009.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 177
I've been painting mine ACE Hardware Primer Gray. John Madden would be so proud.

Sounds like a great idea illuminating the dish. Would love to do this to my 10 footer, but the actuator on that is almost silent. Way more quiet than the STAB on the Primestar.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)