Pairing the Hopper 3 remote with a new Visio TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Electrojim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Brea, CA
I just got a new TV, a Visio V655-J09. Seems a capable TV, picture and native audio are fine, but am having trouble providing basic on/off and volume functions for the TV with my Hopper 3 remote 54.0. This TV is not listed among the Vizio models in Dish's list. I've already tried the 13 or so options suggested in the Dish utility, and have combed the Web for other codes. I found a few, but none work and some quickly come up as 'not applicable' when entered. I've also tried the "learning mode" with the two remotes looking at each other, but still no luck. The Vizio remote doesn't have a visible IR emitter, nor does the TV have an obvious eye. So at first I thought maybe it was a radio link, not infrared, but my hand stops control of the TV so it must be IR. Any ideas?

Visio or Vizio? I just want to know if this is a new budget brand to create confusion to compete with Vizio. And if it is Viso, it could not be any worse than Vizio as far as compatibility. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, Bobby, many thanks for the quick reply, but 5454 doesn't do it. I entered the code, got the usual 'wait' notice, but no soap. Not a show-stopper by any means, but as most of our watching is Dish, it would be nice to have the Dish remote turn the TV on and off and adjust volume. I'll keep looking/trying!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, Bobby, many thanks for the quick reply, but 5454 doesn't do it. I entered the code, got the usual 'wait' notice, but no soap. Not a show-stopper by any means, but as most of our watching is Dish, it would be nice to have the Dish remote turn the TV on and off and adjust volume. I'll keep looking/trying!
Maybe you can return TV. Take remote to the store with you and try on other Vizio models. Make sure remote has a saved
Vizio setting. Maybe Vizio has changed remote coding for their newest models. Your TV might be defective too.

AHA! Bobby, I think your 5454 worked, and I just have a basic misunderstanding of the Hopper remote. When the Hopper 3 was installed by the Dish guy, he set up the remote to control our Sharp TV and the Hopper. The way he set it up we didn't have to push any of the buttons on the side of the Dish remote, Power turned both the sat box and the TV on and off together, Volume did the TV and all the other buttons worked to change channels, skip, etc. In fact, when we did push a button on the side accidentally it messed things up, so I made a shield around those buttons so we'd never hit one by mistake. So when I put your 5454 code in, nothing happened, but later on I pulled the shield off the side and, sure enough, I press TV and the remote controls the TV, push SAT and it operates the Hopper. Now... how do I get that original functionality back so basic TV functions are available simultaneously with the Hopper operation? Possible?

AHA! Bobby, I think your 5454 worked, and I just have a basic misunderstanding of the Hopper remote. When the Hopper 3 was installed by the Dish guy, he set up the remote to control our Sharp TV and the Hopper. The way he set it up we didn't have to push any of the buttons on the side of the Dish remote, Power turned both the sat box and the TV on and off together, Volume did the TV and all the other buttons worked to change channels, skip, etc. In fact, when we did push a button on the side accidentally it messed things up, so I made a shield around those buttons so we'd never hit one by mistake. So when I put your 5454 code in, nothing happened, but later on I pulled the shield off the side and, sure enough, I press TV and the remote controls the TV, push SAT and it operates the Hopper. Now... how do I get that original functionality back so basic TV functions are available simultaneously with the Hopper operation? Possible?
Give me until tomorrow to figure this out. My three Vizio models are a P75-C1 that is 6 years old, a V450-G9 that is 2 years old and an M43Q6-J04 that is a 2021 model similar to yours. I just need to work through them.

Last edited:
What HipKat said. I was having similar issues on my newer Vizio as I tested it with my 54 remote. I looked and I was set for auxiliary device instead of TV. In that configuration the on off toggle worked fine but the volume didn't. I set it to TV and all works as it should. I was having difficulties with this because I normally use Harmony remotes on my DISH receivers and that is a whole different thing.

And, the remote eye on the TV is on the lower right side next to the power led. I looked that up in the manual for your TV. :)

HipKat, you nailed it! Right, guys, when that remote was set up by the Dish guy we were using a Sony soundbar, and it's still listed as the AUX device, in fact. But resetting the volume and mute to TV under the Dish Home/Settings/Remote menu took care of this perfectly. Many thanks to you all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)