Panasonic DMP-BD30 Official

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Rumors have surfaced at blu-ray and avs about a new Panasonic model, so I went to the MHT/BB my friend manages. It has indeed appeared in their computer system as arriving 10/17/07. No specs are available. There is no mention of this model anywhere on the net, even on Panasonic's sites, except the original rumor that surfaced.

Panasonic made no mention at IFA or CEDIA regarding this model. In fact, their display at CEDIA used a BD10A.

With a 10/17 date, what profile will it meet? Will it decode or pass DTS-HD Master? Waiting on further details.

S~

Here is some info - not much but some:

Panasonic DMP-BD30, erster echter 2G-Player von Panasonic für 499$

Anybody read german?

From what I have been able to gleen from other sites, this will be a 1.1 compliant player and will be priced at $499.00. It also looks like the new Sharp player will also be $499.00.

Sharp BD-HP205 Blu-ray Player Presented at IFA 2007 - GadgetConcierge.com News on Gadgets , Gizmos and Technology

There is a source to AVMagazine on this site and it shows the back of the Sharp. No ethernet port and only 5.1 analog. However it does decode DolbyTrueHD and possibly could pass DTS-HD Master as a bitstream. We shall see.

I muck arround the AVmag site and found this on the Pioneer BDP-LX70A:

Anteprima Pioneer BDP-LX70A - AV Magazine - Audio Video - www.avmagazine.it - AVMagazine

After blowing this up considerably I was able to determine that this BD player does decode DTS-HD Master. Here is another site with more info:

Pioneer, Philips revamp Blu-ray players | Reg Hardware

PIONEER BDP-LX70A << UK >>  AVLAND Pioneer BDPLX70A Blu-Ray Disc Player

Interesting read here is that this BD player will pass both DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master as a bitstream to the player for decoding! Man my Onkyo TX-SR805 is breathing heavy over this.:)

If the Panasonic is 1.1 profile, I don't think it is, can do DTS Master, or pass it bitstream, I will get it. I have been extremely happy with the BD10. In my opinion it has been the most rock-solid player out there. I am looking for another player to go with the Integra, but it must meet profile 1.1, decode DTS Master internally, or pass it bitstream. No compromises.

S~

Picked up my player today. Unfortunately my Integra is in the shop getting its firmware update. Bites. As soon as I have it back I'll post a review.

S~

teachsac, let us know how quick the player is and how quiet? And I would like to know if it really does do bitstream for everything audio.

Unfortunately still waiting on my 9.8 to get back. From the posts at AVS, it is spectacular. Man I'm bummed.

S~

Well,

Will wonders never cease. How can 2 Panasonic sites differ in a players capabilites. Occording to this site, it will indeed bitstream Master Audio. Maybe I will be a happy camper once again.

Specifications/Features | BD Players | Blu-ray by Panasonic | Panasonic Global

S~

Note: It will only do core internally.

Yes, I can verify the BD-30 bitstreams both TrueHD and DTS Master Audio to my Onkyo receiver. But, do you know the story if it can decode TrueHD internally? Not really important to me, I'd rather have bitstream to my receiver, but having a debate on another site.

To test it, I played the 5th Element, remastered, and selected the TrueHD audio. With audio set to bitstream and secondary audio set to Off, my Onkyo TrueHD audio lights up, and the Diva scene sounds terrific. I changed the player to PCM output. My receiver says it's receiving 5.1 PCM, and the Diva scene audio doesn't sound nearly as good. I switched the disc audio to the PCM track and it sounds much better, but IMHO not as good as the TrueHD via bitstream.

So, what is the player doing with the TrueHD when set to PCM? Downmixing it to Dolby Digital? If it can downmix TrueHD, than it can decode it - why not just output it as PCM instead of downmixing it to just DD? -:confused:

The BD 30 will not decode TrueHD or Master internally. It will only bitstream. Otherwise it will just take the core if set to PCM.

S~

PS. Do you have Die Hard 2 to test out? Seems like Fox messed up royally on this one.

The BD 30 will not decode TrueHD or Master internally. It will only bitstream. Otherwise it will just take the core if set to PCM.

S~

I know the DTS core can be extracted from DTS HD & MA, enabling studios to provide the one DST-HD MA audio track, from which DTS-HD or DTS 'core" can be extracted, depending on the player and audio output connection. But I thought neither DD nor DD+ can be extracted from TrueHD. While would Warner include a separate DD+ audio track on their TrueHD releases if this was possible?

I saw on the AVS thread that when secondary audio is turned on and a BD1.1 disc is played with PiP audio, the BD-30 will downmix TrueHD to DD. So, I was thinking it is doing this now when set to PCM - decoding TrueHD and downmixing it as DD. Whic doesn't make sense - if it can decode TrueHD, why not include an option to output in full rez in PCM when a secondary audio isn't present? :confused:

PS. Do you have Die Hard 2 to test out? Seems like Fox messed up royally on this one.

No, I passed - I'm going to post in your thread.

S~

Josh Zyber answered this for me on Highdefdigest. He says that when TrueHD audio is provided on Blu-ray, the disc also has a "hidden" DD5.1 track that can't be selected from the menu. But when TrueHD audio is selected from the disk on a player that can't decode it internally, it defaults to the hidden DD track. That must have been what my BD-30 used when I set HDMI audio to PCM - and why it sounded like crap compared to bitstream TrueHD. :p

Let's say..... concert tickets were traded for a great price on an open box BD30.

Cool Let us know what we can do. Dave (CochiseGuy) also has one. Just took my daughters (I have 6, 4 of my own and 2 of my girlfriends) to see Blue Man Group Last week. Could have bought a BD player for that. Worth it though.

S~

Let's say someone found an open box BD30 and left with it after bringing the price down around $150 after hooking someone up with ( I swear) Spice Girl tickets.

Let's say someone found an open box BD30 and left with it after bringing the price down around $150 after hooking someone up with ( I swear) Spice Girl tickets.

Been there done all that, Cheetah Girls, Hannah Montana :(. At least Blue Man Group is talented and entertaining.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)