Pansat 9200HD died

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CXGY

Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Niagara, ON
Last night my 9200HD died. :mad: First it crashed (not an uncommon event ;)), so I rebooted it and it never went past the boot stage. After 2 more tries, same thing. On the 4th try, nothing happened. No LEDs light, nothing. If I plug in the USB stick, it has a steady light. I tried unplugging it overnight - but still dead.

I'm assuming the power supply has died since the unit now emits a high-pitched whine after a couple of seconds (a VCR I have did this). Has anyone replaced the capacitors in the 9200 before? Which is the most likely to blow? C5, the big 100uF 400V one, or some of the six 2200uF 10V guys?

The unit is still under warranty (< 2 yrs old), but I'd rather just replace the caps myself. Any help would be appreciated. Tks. :)

Take a look at the power supply and see if you can see any bulging caps. I had this problem with my Samsung TV (not under warranty). Luckily three capacitors were the obvious problem, so repair cost me $10 and half an hour of my life.

Yeah, this happened to me. One of the 10V caps was bulging and once replaced everything was fine.

C5, the big 100uF 400V one, or some of the six 2200uF 10V guys?
I plan on replacing all of them, when time allows. What the heck, I'll already be in there.
Going to use 16v units instead of 10v. Also going to fix the 13v LNB voltage, that runs around 15v. And finally get around to the heatsink mod. (I hope I find the time, SOON!)

Thanks guys. My 9200HD is back up & running!

First I changed the big cap, C5, but no joy. I then changed all six of the 2200uF/10V caps and that did the trick. It looked as though C11 was the culprit. After I removed it, I found some dried-up yellow goo underneath on the circuit board in the shape of the cap bottom. There was no visible bulging or other distress on any of the caps. The replacement caps are all Nichicon - made in Malaysia. Cost for seven caps was $7.23.

I'm fond of Nichicon. Did you find them locally? Price didn't seem bad at all.
Usually, I have to spend $25 on an order, and/or pay outrageous shipping for 'em.
So, I generally look to all potential recipients, and buy for several dead boards. ;)

The fan/heatsink mod sounds like the thing to do for the future.
Probably, the extra ventilation will extend the capacitor life, too.

Thanks guys. My 9200HD is back up & running!

First I changed the big cap, C5, but no joy. I then changed all six of the 2200uF/10V caps and that did the trick. It looked as though C11 was the culprit. After I removed it, I found some dried-up yellow goo underneath on the circuit board in the shape of the cap bottom. There was no visible bulging or other distress on any of the caps. The replacement caps are all Nichicon - made in Malaysia. Cost for seven caps was $7.23.

Are these the ones? Mine just died. I'll take the cover off and investigate when I have time.
Amazon.com: 2200uf 10v Capacitor 105c High Temp, Radial Leads: Industrial & Scientific

a little after the fact, i had a 3500sd that did the same thing.... the big cap was blown & later the c13 & c14 caps (13v to 18v switching?) blew.... the last ones i had to jtag the reciever to bring it back

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)