Paramount + is Slow to Load

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I can watch Netflix and Prime through the Hopper 3 with no issues. But when I watch Paramount+ through my seven year old Sony Android TV it bogs down. Is it Paramount+ or my tv? It works fine once it loads up, but it takes forever to load up.

I can watch Netflix and Prime through the Hopper 3 with no issues. But when I watch Paramount+ through my seven year old Sony Android TV it bogs down. Is it Paramount+ or my tv? It works fine once it loads up, but it takes forever to load up.
TV….seven years is ancient in the streaming word, I am amazed the app still works.

If you get a streaming box ( Roku Ultra works best for me) it will be back to fast loading.

Reactions: Foxbat and ncted
Yet another example of why under-powered smartTVs become dumb TVs over time. Even my 2020 Sony Android TV already seems really sluggish compared to a current Firestick, Roku, or AppleTV.

If I did get a streaming device it would also let me watch Apple+TV which I cannot now. I may wait a few weeks to see if the Hopper+ will come out. From what I understand it will allow the streaming of all apps.

Looking at the Ultra it may be overkill for me. My sound system will not support Dolby Atmos and I have no use for the headphones (hearing aids).

Last edited:
I think it's probably the Paramount+ app. Or at least the Paramount+ app being built on expecting newer hardware to be used.

I have the same issue with Paramount+ on my Roku 3. Very, very, very slow to start a show. Often times so slow that the initial ad that runs before the show starts (I have the ad based Paramount+) will get clipped... but then I usually lose sound when the show starts... and the Roku locks up and restarts.

But I have a cheap Onn Android TV device as well and Paramount+ loads without any issues on that. So I've just taken to watching Paramount+ on the Onn device.

I haven't noticed any other problems with apps on the Roku 3 (although... I'm probably not as much of a power streamer as most people here are).

I know the Roku 3 is old. So, maybe Paramount+ is within their rights to expect a newer device with newer/faster technologies. Depends on how you look at it.

Can't speak directly about the Hopper 3, but that's my 2 cents from a Roku 3 user.

I'm active in a Paramount+ Facebook user group and it's not uncommon to see people post about problems they are having running the Paramount+ app. Invariably it turns out they are either using a "smart" TV or an older or entry-level (i.e., low-memory underpowered) streaming device. Other than the odd glitch, I have no issues streaming Paramount+ on my 2020 Roku Ultra. The Paramount+ app may be using more memory and processing power than other common streaming apps.

You would be able to watch AppleTV+ on any of the common streaming device brands (Roku, FireTV, etc.). You also wouldn't necessarily need the best of the best model (like an Ultra). Anything with 4K capability made within the past two years should be fine.

I'm active in a Paramount+ Facebook user group and it's not uncommon to see people post about problems they are having running the Paramount+ app. Invariably it turns out they are either using a "smart" TV or an older or entry-level (i.e., low-memory underpowered) streaming device. Other than the odd glitch, I have no issues streaming Paramount+ on my 2020 Roku Ultra. The Paramount+ app may be using more memory and processing power than other common streaming apps.

You would be able to watch AppleTV+ on any of the common streaming device brands (Roku, FireTV, etc.). You also wouldn't necessarily need the best of the best model (like an Ultra). Anything with 4K capability made within the past two years should be fine.
I went ahead and ordered the Roku Ultra.

I have both Roku stick and the Amazon Fire Stick and Paramount+, Prime, & Netflix has all worked well with either. I think on Prime Day they had the Fire Stick Lite for under $20, if I remember correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)