Partial/complete signal loss on SD channels

a_kraker99

Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
what satellite sends most of the SD channels? I am getting a partial/complete signal loss on most of my SD channels. My 119 satellite has a low signal strength but how would I get that better without hurting the 110 strength?
I have a 2 satellite setup, one for 110 and 119 and the other for 61.5

Most SD content comes from 110W.

Rather than trying to figure out what "most" means, perhaps you could share some examples of specific channels you're having trouble with.

If you are an HD customer, you need to get your obsolete mixed-arc setup fixed anyway. If yours is a western arc DMA, then you need a single 1000.2 Dish. If eastern arc, then you need a single 1000.4 dish.

If you are an HD customer, you need to get your obsolete mixed-arc setup fixed anyway. If yours is a western arc DMA, then you need a single 1000.2 Dish. If eastern arc, then you need a single 1000.4 dish.
Given that the OP has expressed an interest in SD channels, switching to EA may be a terrible recommendation without knowing what the installed receivers are.

I watch mostly HD channels with a VIP 622 receiver. Actually, I watch only HD. My wife gets upset when one of her only SD channels doesent work for her. Examples (food, hgtv, etc....) I know those have HD stations but I am just giving an example of the channels that are out.
Anyways, when the system was installed a couple years ago the installer said I needed 2 dishes because of the trees around us. 1 in the front yard and 1 in the back. He didn't really try too hard to find a spot that would work with 1 dish.

In that case I vote for tree growth eclipsing 119. I have personally installed a D500 by eyeballing a hole through the trees. Apparently my eyeball wasn't good enough, because I got 110 perfectly but 119 went away when the leaves leafed out. I had to relocate the dish from the back of my roof to the front where I didn't really want to see it. Oh well. Hitting 61.5 was never a problem due to high elevation angle here in VA.

After that experience, I let the pros do this for my next house, and darned if they didn't do the same thing I had. They reused a DTV mast and even though they had no LOS to 119 at that location, they mounted the D500 there anyway. They left me with marginal to no signal on 119. And they had instruments!

Installers are human, and even the competent ones sometimes make mistakes or cut corners. Since you're an HD customer with a mixed-arc setup, you might get Dish to come out and fix this for free. I kept my D500 for SD receivers, and got my 61.5 wing dish replaced with a 1000.4 at no charge. If you're a western arc customer, then you might have trouble getting LOS for a 1000.2 since 119 is already probably eclipsed and 129 will likely be gone as well.

Which DMA are you in?. If you don't care about locals, you might go with either arc.

FOOD and HGTV are on 119W as TheKrell hints.

If you set up a custom guide correctly, you can avoid accidental exposure to the SD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)