Patent Office upholds Tivo's "time warp" patent, EchoStar not so happy

It would only make sense. Tivo has been after them on this for quite a while. Dish probably sanitized every scrap of code that even resembled a Tivo patent from the newer receivers. What I wish Dish would do, is strike an agreement with ReplayTV to use their software on Dish receivers. Replay always had the best DVR software. IIRC, they invented the DVR, and Tivo ripped off their patents. I would LOVE to see replay software on Dish hardware.
I couldn't agree more. I'd still be using my three networked ReplayTV 5000 series DVRs if it weren't for HD. And yes, ReplayTV was out before TiVo, but TiVo made it down to the patent office faster.

You are making the rather rash assumption that TiVo will even license E* to use the technology.
What do you think TiVo REALLY wants ? You think they want to put Dish out of the DVR business ? If so, you're 100% wrong. TiVo sued them in an attempt to *force* Dish to license their software. This is "normal" procedure in patent-infringement cases. If they shut effectively shut Dish down, what do they gain ? Dish and TiVo aren't really competitors. TiVo wants one thing, $$$.

They can't turn around and charge Dish many, many times more than what they charged SA, Pioneer, Motorola, and so on either.

The 622/722 use the broadcom chip that has DVR functionality built in, so it is not doing the buffering as described in the patent in software.
Can you give references to that ? I've never read this before. I thought the Broadcom chipset was primarily a "tuner". The DVR functionality is a Linux-based program written by Dish.

I couldn't agree more. I'd still be using my three networked ReplayTV 5000 series DVRs if it weren't for HD. And yes, ReplayTV was out before TiVo, but TiVo made it down to the patent office faster.

That right there invalidates the patent.. if a company patents something that existed prior to theirs, the patent office is supposed to kill the patent. Right?

That right there invalidates the patent.. if a company patents something that existed prior to theirs, the patent office is supposed to kill the patent. Right?

Not if Tivo shows they came up with the idea before replay. You can patent an idea before you produce a product.

What do you think TiVo REALLY wants ? You think they want to put Dish out of the DVR business ? If so, you're 100% wrong. TiVo sued them in an attempt to *force* Dish to license their software. This is "normal" procedure in patent-infringement cases. If they shut effectively shut Dish down, what do they gain ? Dish and TiVo aren't really competitors. TiVo wants one thing, $$$.

If DVR's were turned off, then Tivo would hope that many or most of E* customers would acquire Tivo DVR's to use with E*. So they would gain customers either way. I'm not disagreeing with your statement, just seeing the other side.

If it were Tivo that forced me to lose my DVR capability from Dish, I would never even consider buying one of Tivo's products.

I agree with hall. Tivo is in this for one reason, to get $$$.

Has anyone seen the date of the filing for the "Time Warp" patent? It was filed 30 July 1998. Before dual tuners existed. I'm not too sure there was a DVR on the market at that time that allowed playback of one program while another was recording. I don't believe the DishPlayer was released until the following year, and I am unsure if ReplayTV had even released their DVR.

All these complaints about filing a patent that seems "obvious" aren't so obvious when you look at the context. All one needs to do is look up the "Great Telephone Controversy" to understand that one of the most important inventions of modern day was filed at the PTO by two parties on the same day. Does that make the innovation of the telephone a moot point?

The reason Echostar was targeted first was because they have the largest non-TiVo install base.

And why not, it's the American way. If they have a valid patent claim against E* then E* should pay up for using the patent.
Just to be clear, I'm not disputing whether or not Dish "copied" TiVo's patent design/idea. TiVo doesn't *care* either, they just want compensated for it.

If DVR's were turned off, then Tivo would hope that many or most of E* customers would acquire Tivo DVR's to use with E*. So they would gain customers either way.
Ummm, do you really imagine that happening ? A consumer typically does NOT care about these behind-the-scenes details so long as something works. When company "A" comes along and makes company "B", who you're a customer of, shut off a feature you use, you'll run to company "A" ? I won't.... and I'll bet I'm not in the minority. I will be "mad" at company "A".

Re: tivo wanting money for patent infringment

This is EXACTLY WHY people get patents. Huge companies STEAL technonlogy and then the creator loses money over it

I agree with Tivo in this case

Dish wantonly stole their technology

If it were Tivo that forced me to lose my DVR capability from Dish, I would never even consider buying one of Tivo's products.

I agree with hall. Tivo is in this for one reason, to get $$$.

Yeah well Direct TV and other Cable companies better watch out as well due to they could be on Tivo's list as well.

Repoint to 118 from 121

722/322 problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)