Patent Office upholds Tivo's "time warp" patent, EchoStar not so happy

Much of the discussion here is baseless because the validity of the patent is based on the claims made and the suit based on how E* infringed on that claimed technology.

Now, I'm no patent attorney but I have been involved with the "invention process with patent attorneys. I know this, to see the flaws in many of the interpretations made in this thread one must go to the source. I used the quick links provided in this thread. Having read the patent claim here is what I see in reference to some of the posts-

The claim is for a "Time Warp" method to be able to watch one TV program while recording another at the same time for later viewing. To patent a "Time Warp" is not permitted because this could be just a general fundamental technology such as patent a car, which would prevent anyone else from making a car. Instead, a patent must be more specific and claim a "car" uses a specific technology. This is what I see Tivo did in their patent claim for "Time Warp"
The specific claims made are:
1. The use of a particular compression scheme MPEG. (Now the way I read this is that it doesn't matter whether it is MPEG 2 or 4, both would be covered. However, the claim that others (Tektronix) did this before TIVO is true but their technology may have used different compression scheme, such as MJPEG. I did not look up Tektronix, but I can say that in the late 80's and early 90's several companies had released a claim of "time warp" for video editing that used MJpeg, Fast Electronics, Avid, and Matrox to name a few. These companies all developed their own proprietary codec even though all were called "MJPEG"
2. Tivo also used the idea of a circuit that channels the inbound video to a hard drive for recording as mpeg direct from the channel's data stream, or, it is converted from the analog NTSC to mpeg for hard drive recording. Simultaneously, it claims to be able to pull an mpeg file, recorded earlier, off for viewing.

In reading the patent summary, it appears that these two claims are key to the patent functionality. Fast hard drive record and playback and the use of MPEG compression.

Other technologies that use parts of the same process, ie hard drive record and storage as well as dual video access for record and playback simultaneously (It's not really simultaneous, but appears that way because it is sequentially so fast and the use of storage buffers makes it appear simultaneous) BUT they all use a different compression scheme. None of my editing systems here use mpeg file storage CODEC.

Unfortunately, the first issue I see with other CODECS being used in this manner is the conversion process since TIVO utilized the same codec that is used in ATSC and DBS technology, their process is likely the most efficient since it is direct and requires no conversion. But that is the main problem with all patents, the original inventor often patents the most efficient way while copy cats like E* will need to do a work around and that costs more. This is why people choose to license rather than engineer a work around.

TIVO could not patent a system of Time Warp using mjpeg because this became an open PD technology 10 years prior by several companies. They could patent another flavor of mjpeg specific to their CODEC but why bother? It would not grant them enough exclusivity to be worth the cost of the patent process.

Fast forward to the present day- Is it possible to use this mpeg technology in a video editor? Again this is more of a lawyer question than a technical one but I know of several editing systems that are capable of editing mpeg hard drive files in non real time. They are not very successful in the industry and are loaded with bugs. In addition, they could also suffer patent infringement problems.

Re: tivo wanting money for patent infringment

This is EXACTLY WHY people get patents. Huge companies STEAL technonlogy and then the creator loses money over it

I agree with Tivo in this case

Dish wantonly stole their technology

But the existence of Linux (and all the free software that runs on it) proves that financial incentive isn't necessary for invention to occur, therefore the Constitutional basis for the existence of patents is invalidated.

Don Landis,

Thank you for the detailed analysis. And the time it took to write that up.

And thanks for taking a sane look at the issue. Appreciated. :)

I disagree 100%. The Dishplayer 7100 was out and had this feature before the first Tivo ever hit the streets.

Scott, it may not be good enough to make that claim. The patent protection process is timed by the Record of Invention filing dates or public disclosure. Presently, I think the law requires 1 year after public disclosure to file for patent. Introduction of a product for sale could be the start date or earlier if a public disclosure of the invention is made. This could be a formal RI to the US patent office, or a press release. After that you have one year to file the patent. Then, the discovery period may take lots longer, years, before the patent is issued by the USPatent TM office. The longer the better as it extends the 17 year protection period.

Ummm, do you really imagine that happening ? A consumer typically does NOT care about these behind-the-scenes details so long as something works. When company "A" comes along and makes company "B", who you're a customer of, shut off a feature you use, you'll run to company "A" ? I won't.... and I'll bet I'm not in the minority. I will be "mad" at company "A".

I'm not saying that people would rush out and get Tivo. I'm saying that Tivo would hope and believe that's what we would do which I would not. But again, I don't think it is going to happen anyway. I've seen other companies do stupid things in hopes to get a certain result. So it's not completely out of the question.

I work at dish and to be honest no one is sweating this at all and promise you will all see why real soon as said before "charlie has an ace up his sleeve" well distant didnt do so well but this time dish was well prepared for this i have heard to two options that are being pushed both sound easy enough today at work i will gather all the facts about the suit and what dishes plans are and post on here later today

Scott Greczkowski said:
I disagree 100%. The Dishplayer 7100 was out and had this feature before the first Tivo ever hit the streets.
The first TiVo units were available in April 1999. The press release for the DishPlayer 7100 was 30 May 1999, with units shipping later that summer.

The first tivo had it long before the 7100. It was just never released because of undercapitalization. The proof of concept tivo had it at least a year before.

The unit that was hawked around to venture capitalists.

The first TiVo units were available in April 1999. The press release for the DishPlayer 7100 was 30 May 1999, with units shipping later that summer.

And the first public showing of tivo was a year before that.

Last edited:
But the existence of Linux (and all the free software that runs on it) proves that financial incentive isn't necessary for invention to occur, therefore the Constitutional basis for the existence of patents is invalidated.

Thats fine. When they remove the legality of patents, I'll buy your argument, until then, it is a valid LAW with TEETH.

Here in Mass, the state supreme court calls a law unconstitutional, the legislature changes the constitution, making the law valid. But it is the fundamental right of the law based upon its legality that makes it valid.

Remove the legality of patents, I will agree with you

I never said it was a good law :)

What "company" invented Linux ? None....

Where did Linus get his idea ? He *copied* it from Multics. :D

Yes I got mine in August I believe of that year. My wife told me she was pregnant with our son and had to be on bed rest. I used that excuse why we needed the cool 7100 dishplayer with web tv. That was my first exposure to the internet. I bought my first computer back in 2001 from Walmart when the price dropped to around $500.00.. Every since I can't do without a dvr. Have 3 of them in my house alone:Two 622s & one 722.

Has anyone seen the date of the filing for the "Time Warp" patent? It was filed 30 July 1998. Before dual tuners existed. I'm not too sure there was a DVR on the market at that time that allowed playback of one program while another was recording...

So back then we had a Dish PVR unit with a single tuner. Now we have two
tuners-one box unit that is designed and enigineered specifically to infringe on the TIVO patent twice as much. :rolleyes: Great !

I can't cite it, but in one of the many press stories on the net about Echostar's last Quarterly Earnings conference (before this latest upholding by the Patent Office), the reporter quoted Charlie Ergan as say that Echostar will be "talking with Tivo." Oh, My! Talking with Tivo? Charlie was out for blood regarding Tivo; now he will be "talking" with Tivo. To me, this "talking" means he is planning to buy Tivo, and he should. 'Tis far better to pay twice the court award and own the patents and not have to increase any DVR fees, and he can use Tivo patents to go after his competitors.

So, does this mean I shouldn't sign up with Dish? I was literally all set to schedule an install for next week, but if the absolutely necessary (for me) DVR functionality of Dish is in jeopardy, I will have to stay a little longer with CrapCast, uh, I mean, Comcast. DirecTV isn't an option because an HD DVR is $200 vs. free with Dish and unfortunately, no FIOS in my area yet. So, what do y'all think?

Repoint to 118 from 121

722/322 problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)