Pay channels via the PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
Is there a legal way of getting channels available via satellite on the pc? I mean the encrypted ones (hbo, sho, max, sci-fi, etc). I know the tv boxes support a means of doing this, but I wondered if the PC also had a means. Was hoping to do a Media Center or MythTV setup eventually, just guaging possabilites.

Not in North America. You have to use the provider's equipment. They do not allow subscribers to use equipment ( pc's or FTA boxes) other than those that they provide. In Europe there are some providers that allow this, but, not in North America.
grusome

Haven't heard about their pc option for vista, but my guess would be that they will release a proprietary USB box, and that will be the only way to view the D* programming.

Haven't heard of that one yet either. I would be suprised if they did do that. Although I do know some folks that wish they could intergrate their Media Center PC's with their sub's and have an all in one setup. Where did you hear about dish doing that?
grusome

Not sure if I can post the link, but engadget had a few reports about it.

Just google "directv vista".

Here's a snippet of what I found:

In addition to releasing Media Center PCs that can function as DirecTV receivers, Microsoft and DirecTV also promised to cooperate in several other areas, including the following:

* Future DirecTV set-top boxes will support the Windows Media Connect protocol, allowing users to connect them to a PC over a home network and then use the TV to access content from that PC, such as audio files and digital photos
* Some DirecTV boxes feature built-in digital video recording (DVR) capability; in the future, users will be able to stream recorded programs from those boxes to any Windows PC over a home network, or directly to a PMC device via a USB port
* The companies will work to integrate DirecTV and the Xbox 360 in unspecified ways; for example, users might be able to stream recorded TV content from a DirecTV DVR in one room to an Xbox 360 in another room over a home network.

Many details about the companies' agreement were left unstated: for example, it's unknown which DirecTV boxes will support PC-connected scenarios, when these boxes will be available, or what they will cost. Nonetheless, the agreement is interesting because it shows Microsoft's willingness to embrace stand-alone DVRs, rather than insisting that the Media Center PC be used for this function

Cool features!! Sounds like they took a few pages from the Linux based STB's !!!
Dreambox, Relook and Triple Dragon all three can do those things now. And if a person is into doing Linux stuff, there is VDR & MythTV for Linux PC's.
I wish that some provider would do like a few in Europe do and sell just the smartcards with re-newable programming (monthly or annually) and let people use whatever equipment they choose. I think with the right pricing and letting people use their own equipment, that sat piracy would drop in the US & Canada.
(well, that's my theory, there will always be those that refuse to pay for anything, no matter how cheap it might be)
Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see if they actually do go thru with the idea.
grusome

The question is, if you can get a cam card for it, will you be able to find a provider who will sell programming to you? I think you may find a problem with that?

Al

Like VoomVoom said, you won't be able to find a provider to sell you programming and a card in North America for that setup. Those Twinhan pci cards with a cam slot are sold in Europe too, where there are providers selling programming with card only and the user providing the hardware. There are a lot of FTA boxes that have card slots and could work too, but, again, I doubt that it will happen here anytime soon.
grusome

Not sure if I can post the link, but engadget had a few reports about it.

Just google "directv vista".

Here's a snippet of what I found:

In addition to releasing Media Center PCs that can function as DirecTV receivers, Microsoft and DirecTV also promised to cooperate in several other areas, including the following:

* Future DirecTV set-top boxes will support the Windows Media Connect protocol, allowing users to connect them to a PC over a home network and then use the TV to access content from that PC, such as audio files and digital photos
* Some DirecTV boxes feature built-in digital video recording (DVR) capability; in the future, users will be able to stream recorded programs from those boxes to any Windows PC over a home network, or directly to a PMC device via a USB port
* The companies will work to integrate DirecTV and the Xbox 360 in unspecified ways; for example, users might be able to stream recorded TV content from a DirecTV DVR in one room to an Xbox 360 in another room over a home network.

Many details about the companies' agreement were left unstated: for example, it's unknown which DirecTV boxes will support PC-connected scenarios, when these boxes will be available, or what they will cost. Nonetheless, the agreement is interesting because it shows Microsoft's willingness to embrace stand-alone DVRs, rather than insisting that the Media Center PC be used for this function

All of the streaming content will be encrypted...

These guys make an add-on board for the STB's of most major providers that outputs programming via USB cable to your PC:

www.r5000hd.com

It's totally legal, as you can only record programming you've paid for. Their mod only grabs the signal after it's already been decrypted by your STB. They've also got a SageTV version of their software that allows it to act as a Sage network encoder.

Mike

You can connect the audio and video out of the satellite box to a capture card and control the satellite box with an ir blaster, or with some satellite boxes, a serial cable. This does not give you a digital capture of the stream provided by the satellite transmission, but does give you a very good quality picture. One of my friends has his media centre PC setup like this. The only problem he has, is that the Microsoft DVR-MS files are hard to work with and transfer to MPEG files for use in DVD players or to author to DVD's. Media centre has a very nice program guide. (from what I've seen).

These guys make an add-on board for the STB's of most major providers that outputs programming via USB cable to your PC:

www.r5000hd.com

It's totally legal, as you can only record programming you've paid for. Their mod only grabs the signal after it's already been decrypted by your STB. They've also got a SageTV version of their software that allows it to act as a Sage network encoder.

Mike

Looks good. But, a bit pricy to me.
grusome

... The only problem he has, is that the Microsoft DVR-MS files are hard to work with and transfer to MPEG files for use in DVD players or to author to DVD's....
I monitor the situation by reading the support-forum of one of the better mpeg editors.
The above is quite true.
Based on what I've seen so far, I'd run the other way if anyone offered me a DVR-MS recorder.
M$ is just looking to own your soul... again... or still.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts