Pay extra for MDU line access?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlindsay17

Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I've been reading the threads on MDUs (like my apartment). It seems like these setups actually cost MORE than going through DirecTV or a DirecTV reseller -- even though I don't have much of a choice as my apartment is wired up to a central dish. Is it standard for these MDU installers to charge a per-month 'line access' fee of what I think might be as high as $12/month?!

I think that's illegal according to the FCC's rules. If they setup a central antenna they have to give you access to it at a very low cost. I think you could get them to come down off of that price. That comes out to be $144 a year!

ADent said:
You don't face south?

You can put up your own dish if you want.
Don't have a balcony or anything to stick a dish on and the building is all wired up already for this central dish because I guess the last guy who put a dish on the roof put some holes in it and caused some damage. Going through the big communal dish is probably easiest, I just don't know why there's costs associated with it. That $12 extra makes even Adelphia cable cheaper...

Is it true that the FCC deems excessive charges like this illegal?

Dunno, but when I had directv in an MDU in 1997, I had to pay $7 / mo for receiver lease and access to MDU line.

The installer/MDU provider has to pay for their own multiswitches and stuff -- so they have to make the money back somehow.

tell 'em to stuff the receiver lease and bring your own. Although $5 a month isn't too unreasonable. Thats only $60 a year

Status
Please reply by conversation.