paying for local channels

mrsfarmer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
This may be a real dumb question, but if I unselect to pay for my local channels, does this mean I won't get them at all over Dish?
According to my package, it shows $5.99 for locals, on the listing of channels it shows Dish's #'s for the locals (7412, 7413 etc) and it also has my local channel #'s(4,6 etc). We always watch under our local channel #. So if I cancel the $5.99, will we not even have our local #'s on Dish? We would then need to set up our antenna?

Another question, my daughter said she can buy certain channels with her lower package. I can't find that anywhere on the site. I'd like to reduce our monthly bill and am willing to go to the 200 channel package instead of 250, but will hate to loose the NatGEO channel. Can you buy just one extra channel?

I thought if you didn't have the local channels that you could still get them with an antenna but you would not be able to get the directory unless you subscribed to the local channels.

If you simply use an external antenna and don't pay for the locals, they show up in the guide simply as "digital service" for 3(?)hour long blocks. If you use a DVR, you have to manually program timers.

Assuming he has dish equipment with an OTA tuner. If you don't do HD and don't DVR then a converter box with antenna for most people will have a better picture than dish locals.

Plus if you use OTA and don't have a 722K with two OTA tuners, you can only record one local channel at a time.

It is well worth it to have dish locals for 5.00 more a month so you can get guide data . I have the 722k and I can record 4 hd channels at one time ;2sat /2ota. Name based recording requires guide data to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)