Vip211 HD sound not as loud as SD

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
One of my family members has a 211 receiver and lately his HD channels are much softer in volume. He has to crank up the volume to hear people talking, then when he flips to an SD channel it almost blows out the speakers. Does anyone else have this problem? I know this was a problem on the 622 a couple years ago, but Dish fixed that.

He said he called Dish and they said it was his TV. I've never heard of that being a TV problem. He ended up calling LG and they said it wasn't the TV either. I'm not sure, but I think it's the receiver.

Your not wrong my Vip211 and 222 do the same thing on the HD channels you gotta crank up the volume. It's been like ever since I got the receivers over a year ago. My guess IMHO is the way the receiver processes the audio in HD mode.
But that is just a guess.

I never bought a HDTV still watching on a analog sets here.

One of my family members has a 211 receiver and lately his HD channels are much softer in volume. He has to crank up the volume to hear people talking, then when he flips to an SD channel it almost blows out the speakers. Does anyone else have this problem? I know this was a problem on the 622 a couple years ago, but Dish fixed that.

He said he called Dish and they said it was his TV. I've never heard of that being a TV problem. He ended up calling LG and they said it wasn't the TV either. I'm not sure, but I think it's the receiver.

DD audio typically has more dynamic range, so you'll find that dialog is softer so that the peaks (explosions, etc.) can be louder. This is also why many A/V receivers have some kind of dynamic range compression circuit so you can watch movies w/surround sound at night without waking the rest of your family. If you have the volume turned up loud enough to hear the dialog, the sound effects will wake up your family without dynamic range compression.

I can understand the ranges being different but this sounds a bit extreme for me. I have a 622 and I have no problems. The HD and the SD have no dramatic difference in volume.

From what he told me, is that he has his volume almost to the max when watching HD. I don't think that is working properly.

On my 722, you can tell the differnce on sound between HD and SD, HD much more loud

Ditto on my 622. Using my LG volume meter as a reference, the satellite HD & OTA channels are perfectly hearable @ about vol level 6, all the satellite SD I have to crank up around 13-14. I'm using the tuner in the 622 for OTA & it's connected by HDMI...

now for another comparason, my PS3 is connected via HDMI as well & for DVD's, BluRays and my games, I have to go as high as the 30's sometimes... lucky for me that 30's are about mid range on the graphical volume scale...

I guess my point is, everything's gonna have different levels... I've gotten used to them & simply adjust before I change channels...

The HD is actually louder? Haven't heard that one yet.

me either. it's usually the other way around. it can be quite irritating late at night when your wife is sleeping and BOOM! top it off with a commercial on a sd channel. loudest for me.

my yamaha htr5790 receiver actually has an auto adjusting sound control when switching from sd to hd channels. i was able to adjust a setting to lower the volume output when it detects 2.0 sound.

now if it only had a setting where it could auto detect Billy Mays voice that would be a godsend. perhaps dish could enable their receivers to do this, but i hope they check to make sure no one has a patent on blocking billy mays technology before they do.

make sure your dolby digital is on line not rf.... on the rcvr, then check your tv

As mentioned, the Line or RF option will alter this, but in an effort to keep the volume consistent, you may be missing out on some of the sound effects as intended by movies and so forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)