Pbs Ac3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I'm wondering why I can receive the audio on the PBS HD channel on AMC3? I tried the outdoor HD channel and there is no audio. I found a couple of feeds last night with no audio and was subsequently told they were AC3. Unless they were mistaken and it was Dolby E I don't see how I can receive the PBS one. The Dolby logo lights up in the onscreen graphic on PBS just as it does on outdoor (G10R). Is it also outputting MPEG audio?

Dolby Digital decoders can decode AC3, the HD PBS does not have MPEG audio streams.

If you can not pick up audio it is most likely in Dolby E :(

Dolby Digital decoders can decode AC3, the HD PBS does not have MPEG audio streams.

If you can not pick up audio it is most likely in Dolby E :(

The thing is on that PBS channel, I can pick up the audio. I am not hooked with any kind of optical output. Last night and today I've seen alot what looks like concert footage. Lots of country music people coming on stage and playing a song or two.

On the outdoor channel on Gal 10 at 123* west I cannot pick up any audio. Is that maybe Dolby E?

The Outdoor channel is not using Dolby E, also to decode AC3 you need to use a digital audio connector, you might have watched a channel that has MPEG audio, some PBS feeds have MPEG audio.

So you got audio from a analog output on the HD PBS?

I checked that channel with TSReader and there are only AC3 streams :confused:

I certainly am. This is with a composite only audio and video connection. (my hmdi cable should be here tomorrow) Like I was saying in my original post the Dolby icon lights up. This is why I am confused.

what rec are u using boomer?
On my VS ULtra I'm showing 3 channels on 12140 v 30000 , one I get sound (ac3) one I get a test tone, also appears to be ac3
and the other I get no sound. And, since this is a SD receiver, I get no picture on any of 'em.

what rec are u using boomer?
On my VS ULtra I'm showing 3 channels on 12140 v 30000 , one I get sound (ac3) one I get a test tone, also appears to be ac3
and the other I get no sound. And, since this is a SD receiver, I get no picture on any of 'em.

Viewsat 9000. You're saying you get AC3 sound with the ultra? Maybe you are using the optical output?

Yes I do have an optical cable hooked to a Yamaha home theater system. If you had sound without a cable hooked your 9000 may do the decoding internally, I know some of the HD-type receivers that have come out lately can do that, without an external amp.

Yes I do have an optical cable hooked to a Yamaha home theater system. If you had sound without a cable hooked your 9000 may do the decoding internally, I know some of the HD-type receivers that have come out lately can do that, without an external amp.

I was thinking that but, the HD outdoor channel on G10 123* west had no audio:confused:

I'm trying to decide if I need to get a pair of those headphones or not

Well after hooking up the HDMI cable and, deleting the channels and, doing a rescan The outdoor channel and PBS now both have sound and Dolby is an option under the audio button. Viewsat tech support guy said it was because the HDMI cable wasn't hooked up. I was skeptical but, it's working.

Looks like this box outputs AC3 without the need for any separate hardware provided you use HDMI cable as the interface. I'll be doing a review after I get more time to play with this thing.

No idea why I got PBS AC3 through composite but, not Outdoor but, oh well. All is well now.

Well after hooking up the HDMI cable and, deleting the channels and, doing a rescan The outdoor channel and PBS now both have sound and Dolby is an option under the audio button. Viewsat tech support guy said it was because the HDMI cable wasn't hooked up. I was skeptical but, it's working.

Looks like this box outputs AC3 without the need for any separate hardware provided you use HDMI cable as the interface. I'll be doing a review after I get more time to play with this thing.

No idea why I got PBS AC3 through composite but, not Outdoor but, oh well. All is well now.

It appears the audio was only temporary on Outdoor because it has quit again. Viewsat techs think it's a software glitch. No idea how long it will take to rectify it. He said he would pass a note to the engineers. Thought I'd put the update in this thread for completeness.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)