PBS feed schedules

Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
Since there was a bit of discussion of some scheduling info in the thread about BBC News, I decided to try something I did several years ago, and that is to try to go through ALL of the AMC-21 PBS feeds, and write down what's on each for as many hours of the day as is possible. I've started, and have about 60% coverage for the past couple days for the daytime hours, typically from around 9AM-5PM. But I haven't had much coverage at other times, and have obviously missed a lot, when out of the house, etc. Therefore, I thought that I'd start a thread where people could post what they see on the PBS feed channels, since there is no schedule for them anywhere.
The feed channels I'm talking about are:
12163H4444 SD05 Normally Hartford APT feeds
12169H4444 SD06 Often KCET, often from midwest states
12175H4444 SD07 Often SCETV
12150H14029 HD04 random HD feeds
12180V30000 HD03 random HD feeds, but most often the APT HD feeds

There is also an SD01 feed channel on the 12180 mux, but I haven't monitored it as yet.

Part of the problem with one person trying to monitor all these channels is that you can only identify the channels when they first come on the are at the top of the hour or half hour, so once I've ID'd one channel, it's too late for the other channels. Last time I did this, it took me several weeks to figure out what most of the recurring feeds were.

Despite the fact that people seem to think that the feeds on these channels are completely random, many of the feeds are recurring. The recent example of this is the thread about BBC news, which has been feeding on the SD06 {and I think sched 512 before that}. I've been watching nearly the same group of shows on Saturdays on a couple of these channels for many years. The BBC feed is a rare one that occurs at the same time every day, but most are feeds that might be once a week at a certain day/time. They do change somewhat, sometimes if there are errors in a scheduled feed, they repeat the feed at a later unscheduled time.
It used to be that you could find a partial schedule for the 12163 Hartford APT feeds, but I can't find that anymore. Instead, they now have a schedule available for the HD feeds on HD03. See American Public Television: APT HD Programming , where down at the bottom is a link for a schedule for one month's programming, but it's generally not for the current month, but instead for over a month in advance, because the schedule is there for stations who they want to purchase the programming, ie it's not intended for scheduling current viewing.

The types of recurring feeds I've noticed are pre-feeds of upcoming shows like Masterpiece Theater, Motor Week, Antiques Roadshow, NewsHour, and other shows. Also non-recurring feeds of pledge drive material.

Anyway, if anyone notices any interesting programming on these channels, please post it here, and I'll try to put together a spreadsheet with a schedule. Even if the feeds observed aren't recurring, the times of the feeds are often indicative of when other random feeds might occur from certain uplink sites.

Once I get an entire week's worth of observations, even if very incomplete, I'll start posting the results.

Darn forum is changing on me, urls changing and pages look different. :mad:

Anyway, I put up a beginning of what I was trying to put together.
Mostly blank now. Entries start Wed . When things prove to recur, I'll probably indicate that somehow. When they change, I'll probably change entries to reflect that too.
Most of entries are just test pattern slates, some of which indicate the source.

http://www.eskerridge.com/bj/sat/PBS-FEED-SCHED.htm

It's an excel spreadsheet, but I've saved it as a web page.

Darn forum is changing on me, urls changing and pages look different. :mad:

Anyway, I put up a beginning of what I was trying to put together.
Mostly blank now. Entries start Wed . When things prove to recur, I'll probably indicate that somehow. When they change, I'll probably change entries to reflect that too.
Most of entries are just test pattern slates, some of which indicate the source.

It's an excel spreadsheet, but I've saved it as a web page.

Yup Scott's messing around with vb plug-ins trying to make the server faster.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=207378

Excellent idea.

Other than the already mentioned BBC feeds the only other one I am aware of is Jerry Yarnell a painting show that my wife loves. It's on Saturday 17.00-17.30 Atlantic Standard Time on the 12175 feed. Its been on for at least the last 5 weeks as far as I know it's not available on any of the other regular satellite channels such as Montana, Create, OETA or LPB and is an example of why a list like this would be so useful

Thanks, B. J. Truly excellent idea and a really useful service to the FTA community. Perhaps others can forward any info they have regarding regularly scheduled programming on these feeds and send it on to you for posting on your site, if that would be OK with you. I'll certainly send along anything I come across.

Great idea B.J. what timezone did you use?

Sorry. Meant to indicate that.
Using EDT. I was a little unsure of the AST post above, not sure if they had daylight time or not, but I'll check that channel this afternoon.

Almost through a week now, one more day to go.
LOTs of good programming, some I knew about, others I didn't.
I've tried to indicate a few that I know are repeating, but others will be more random, however in the past, I've noticed that different local networks tend to upload on the same time/day, even if the program isn't the same. So when you see programming on a certain day, you have a good chance of finding something similar on that same day/time the next week.

Great work I see a few shows that I will try to get that aren't available elsewhere.

I believe that Poirot feed on Monday at 1600 EST 12163 is reoccurring I managed to get it a few times in the past before I lost the bit of paper I wrote the details on :rolleyes: we should find out soon enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)