PBS HD off air 10-31

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Youn just don't get it, do you?

HDTVFanAtic said:
First - you want to explain this then? Just like #2, there seems to be a disconnect in your posts and reality.

I guess your mistake was you didn't count on me documenting it.
screen says you were banned. But where does it say I banned you?

Third, I dont want to click on a thumbnail 3 times to get it to where i can read it - as most do not and if you ask Scott for the IP log of satelliteguys.us you can easily see the small percentage of dialups. Thus you are asking that 90+% of your readers be slowed down so that the single digit percentage who use dialup in 2006 can continue to browse slowly.
If you use the "manage attachment" options here, it puts it as a thumbnail and when you click on it once, it blows up to full size. There is no need to use an external site to post pictures (which also has numerous popups)

Don't worry, I won't post large pictures here any longer. I'll post them on other sites, so if they contain info that the OP wanted and others cannot answer, they will just go un-answered from me here.
thats fine. Post them as thumbnails and there is no issues

Third, I dont want to click on a thumbnail 3 times to get it to where i can read it - as most do not and if you ask Scott for the IP log of satelliteguys.us you can easily see the small percentage of dialups.
Actually we still have about 35 - 40% on Dialup. :eek:

Remember by attaching things as thumbnails not only makes it easier for folks to view threads, it also keeps the server from serving these huge graphics over and over again.

Since we pay for our bandwidth here large pictures which are unnecessarly loaded again and again actually costs us more to serve.

We can serve a 1.5k file 1000 times or a 500k graphic 1000 times. Which one do you think takes less server resources and costs less to serve?

Sometimes things the staff does seems harsh, however there are real reasons why they do what they do. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Remember by attaching things as thumbnails not only makes it easier for folks to view threads, it also keeps the server from serving these huge graphics over and over again.

Since we pay for our bandwidth here large pictures which are unnecessarly loaded again and again actually costs us more to serve.

We can serve a 1.5k file 1000 times or a 500k graphic 1000 times. Which one do you think takes less server resources and costs less to serve?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought an external site link was used for the big 77k graphic? Would the bandwidth still go to Satelliteguys? I thought the browser would go straight to that website instead of going through the Satguys server if the link is external to Satguys.

I prefer the thumbnails from an external site when I post pics. It's just much easier to right click the image, hit send to imageshack, then copy & paste the link. That's the only way to actually put pictures inside your post instead of all lumped together at the bottom.

Part of the good info on that link that you provided:
In mid-to-late 2008, SES Americom will launch a new satellite (AMC 21) at 125 degrees W.L. which will allow consolidation of all PBS services on AMC-1 and 3 to one satellite with a foot-print covering CONUS as well as Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. In late 2006, under the new agreement limited real-time services will be provided to American Samoa and Guam for the first time via 3 Mbps of satellite capacity on AMC-23 at 188 degrees WL. SES will provide special downlink antennas and modems to the stations on those Pacific Islands. The transition to DVB will allow the use of new MPEG encoding systems, which will improve encoding efficiency and will allow an increase in the number of program channels per transponder. There will continue to be capacity for uplinking to public TV transponders from other parts of the country, such as the current distribution of programs by NETA and APT, and there will be room for all current packaged channels and a few more such channels as they come on line.

Hope 125, when it comes up won't screw with 123...

the HD channel is still up at same spot :)

I'm guessing that after they turn off the DCII mux on Transponder 22 on January 16, 2007, they will then start the new DVB mux on Transponder 22 which will include the HD channel. After a transition period they will turn off the HD channel at it's current location. I sure hope the new mux will be qpsk and not 8psk like they are using on their Cband feeds on AMC 1.

Here is an update on the PBS changes:

http://www.pbsngis.org/documents/Jan24Details.html

"On January 24, the HD Channel will begin its move from its current location on Transponder 21 (Horizontal Polarity) to Transponder 22 (Vertical Polarity) as part of an MCPC signal. There will be a short period when services will be available on both Transponder 21 and Transponder 22 – the mirrored services will be only between January 24th to January 31st. Go to www.pbsngis.org for more information after the first of the year."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trouble Tuning in AMC3 PBS

Trying to set up Viewsat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)