PBS HD off air 10-31

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sadie

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 31, 2006
Nova Scotia
I was checking Mike Kohl's list of FTA stations at http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html and noticed that 12110 and 12128 are shown as off air 10-31.
The is a new frequency listed at V-12179 so I went and checked it out I was pleased to find 9 channels including several test cards, the good news was the signal was significantly stronger than 12110. I just have to sort out a channel schedule, the was also PBS Create which I haven't seen before.
However I could not find PBS HD on the new frequency does anyone know if the will be a new frequency for this or is it going off air on 10-31 in which case it will be sadly missed.

Darn, I was planning to get my Twinhan 1020a setup in a spare pc and have a try at HD with PBS!! Of course, I only have a computer monitor to watch on, but, still wanted to try it. Maybe, they will bring it back and add more HD channels.
A couple of local TV shops have shown some PBS HD demos and they look great.
grusome

Don't stress out to much about it.. Really all I can say here.

MCPC - Multiple Channels Per digital data Carrier. MCPC DCII is the only kind of digital carrier the 4DTV can tune. For Example: Discovery Science Channel is on Virtual Channel 612 on Satcom-C3. The actual transponder is transponder 22. There is one digital data stream on transponder 22, but that stream is divided into 9 data sets which are rendered as 9 channels.

SCPC - Single Channel Per digital data Carrier. A digital carrier that has only 1 channel on it. PBS has some affiliates with Single-channel carriers in the sky.

Attachments

• pbshddp8.jpg
    pbshddp8.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
DO NOT POST HUGE PICTURES!!

Use the attachment option so it makes a thumbnail. HDTV You should know better to continue to link pictures. The thumbnail option allows people with dialup connections to not have to wait.(heck that one took almost a minute on DSL to bring up).. If they want to click on the picture, it blows it up to full view :)

Last edited:
Non technical terms

Thanks photoman 76 for the link a lot of information in a bit hard for us non engineering types to figure out.
Here is my attempt please fill free to correct, expand or add.

PBS is phasing out Digiciper 11 due to units failing and limited support.

In the transition stage they will for a time transmit both DC11 and DVB on AMC3.
Effective October 06 PBS will no longer lease transponder 20, 12096 this currently carriers DC11 signals.
PBS will continue to lease TP21-24 at 12110, 12128, 12140,12145 and 12180? I may be a bit mixed up on some of these frequencies since the is more than 1 frequency listed for a transponder in Lyngsat.

Transponder 21, 12110 currently carriers PBS X four feeds including a Test card in a DVB MCPC format, plus it carriers 12128 PBS HD in a DVB SCPC format this will stay in place until October the 31st.
On November the 1st PBS HD in a DVB MCPC format will move to TP22 and the PBS X feeds will end.
The reason for this is to increase bandwidth efficiency and make room for other services.
I'm not sure what TP21 will end up carrying it shows NRT November 06. Spare or other services??

TP23 currently carriers schedule 511-514 in DC11 format 511-513 will change to DVB :) on October 1st, Montana PBS will remain in DVB on this transponder but it looks like its frequency will change. Schedule 514 will remain DC11 .This DVB signals will be in SCPC format.

TP24 12179 is now carrying schedule 500-504, 515,540, 543, 5xx (in DVB all in AC3 audio)

I'm not sure what the DVB formats SCPC and MCPC formats means to our recieving equipment but I belief my PC card is already recieving both formats if I'm reading this right (a big IF) , expert help here would be appreciated.

So if I'm right more PBS channels and lots of frequency changes coming.
And the good news, in 2008 PBS will be switching to a new higher power sat AMC21 at 125w (good news if you have LOS). not sure what this means to AMC3 I guess its getting old, like me.

Last edited:
Changes

This are the changes we should see with our DVB equipment

On October 1st, 3 new DVB channels should be available on TP23, schedule 511-513, PBS Montana may change in frequency. The new frequencies are not known but shouldn't be far of PBS Montana's present frequency.

On November 1st PBS HD will move from from TP21 to TP22, some other services may appear.

PBS X feeds will end on October 31, hopefully these feeds will be now be on schedule 511-513.

TP24 12179 is allready up with PBS schedule 500-504, 515,540, 543, 5xx on it.

Last edited:
Your right Iceberg
I'm trying to figure out the document linked to by photoman76 at https://secure.connect.pbs.org/confe...20Services.pdf its dated April 12 so the may have been a few changes since then.
If you look at pages 21 & 22 it shows the changes on TP23, maybe they started early on some of it. It will be interesting to see if the new DVB channels show up on October 1st at a higher frequency as shown

Would be nice. Is Create affected by any of this - it seems sort of like PBS but I don't know if it's a true PBS station...

mastermesh said:
Is Create affected by any of this - it seems sort of like PBS but I don't know if it's a true PBS station...

Create is a PBS channel. At one time PBS had 3 additional channels their stations could broadcast as part of their HDTV digital signal. I remember PBS YOU (Your Own University) and PBS Kids were among them.... I think “Create” replaced the “YOU” channel offering last year.

My local over-the-air PBS station broadcasts “Create” as part of their digital signal. For some reason the Create OTA digital signal has better audio (level isn’t as low and muddy) than what I can get off the satellite... I wonder what feed my local PBS stations is taking this from? Are any PBS stations using fiber yet?

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Last edited:
We have a Create on Minneapolis PBS along with a knockoff of PBSKids called TPTKids (TPT is the name they use for the 2 PBS stations in the area..Twin Cities Public Tv) on digital along with a 24 hour aeronitical weather channel

Iceberg said:
DO NOT POST HUGE PICTURES!!

Use the attachment option so it makes a thumbnail. HDTV You should know better to continue to link pictures. The thumbnail option allows people with dialup connections to not have to wait.(heck that one took almost a minute on DSL to bring up).. If they want to click on the picture, it blows it up to full view :)

That's BS and you know it too.

The jpg was 77KB

If you want to claim it took you 1 minute to pull up 77KB on a DSL, there is more than 77KB on EVERY satelliteguys.us page with the number of logos and flashing ads from sponsors.

So you don't even want to go there - as it doesn't even pass the smell test.

Even dialup could download 77KB in virtually seconds.

The only way for that download to take 1 minute as you claim is for the server to be down - and THEN IT WOULD NOT HAVE MATTERED IF WAS THUMBNAIL OR REGULAR SIZE.

Furthermore, it takes 3 downloads to get a fully expanded picture - and considering most every user is on dsl or cable - it is slower for everyone browsing to do that - versus the 2% of users that are phone dial up -

Thus you want to slow down 98% of the users for the 2% instead of letting the 2% of the user be slow that are already slow.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

AND THEN YOU BAN ME FROM THE SITE FOR POSTING USEFUL INFO THAT NO ONE ELSE WOULD POST?!?!?!?!?!?

GET REAL!

You want to ban me for being an Ass, that's at least passes the smell test.

BANNING ME and giving the reason as LARGE PICTURES for info that people wanted IS AN ABUSE OF POWER.

First off, I didnt ban you so get that out of your head.

Second, PM works better (but I guess you feel the need to be an ass and I'm in an oh so chipper mood so I'll follow along)

Third, the "attachment" rule has been here forever and yet you are the only one who doesnt use it and then when mods edit the post and make it a thumbnail, you get all pissy.

Thumbnails can be clicked on and blown up to full size so anybody who wants to see it can. Those who don't want to arent forced to wait while it comes in full view.

Fourth, we have said numerous times to quit posting full size pictures but yet you don't listen? Everybody else follows along and posts thumbnails but you so I guess you're special?

Last edited:
110% correct Iceberg! WELL SAID!

Same rules for EVERYONE here including sponsors!

THUMBNAILS ONLY!

Iceberg said:
First off, I didnt ban you so get that out of your head.

Second, PM works better (but I guess you feel the need to be an ass and I'm in an oh so chipper mood so I'll follow along)

Third, the "attachment" rule has been here forever and yet you are the only one who doesnt use it and then when mods edit the post and make it a thumbnail, you get all pissy.

Thumbnails can be clicked on and blown up to full size so anybody who wants to see it can. Those who don't want to arent forced to wait while it comes in full view.

Fourth, we have said numerous times to quit posting full size pictures but yet you don't listen? Everybody else follows along and posts thumbnails but you so I guess you're special?

First - you want to explain this then? Just like #2, there seems to be a disconnect in your posts and reality.

I guess your mistake was you didn't count on me documenting it.

Second, you did not answer how a 77kb jpg took a minute to download, lol.

Third, I dont want to click on a thumbnail 3 times to get it to where i can read it - as most do not and if you ask Scott for the IP log of satelliteguys.us you can easily see the small percentage of dialups. Thus you are asking that 90+% of your readers be slowed down so that the single digit percentage who use dialup in 2006 can continue to browse slowly.

Maybe the rules have been in place for a long time. But even imageshack had a 1Meg upload rule and changed that to 1.5Meg upload max in the last 60 days.

Times change.

This isn't 1995 and dialup is not the norm any longer. If your DSL takes 60 seconds to download a 77kb file, get your money back. If it takes more than 1 second, it took too long.

Don't worry, I won't post large pictures here any longer. I'll post them on other sites, so if they contain info that the OP wanted and others cannot answer, they will just go un-answered from me here.

The sad part is, as several supporting founders have pointed out in their messages to me:

<snip>
WTF?! It's funny, Scott started this site because he felt he couldn't speak his mind at DBSTalk, and now, since he has the biggest DBS board, he and the mods are turning around and doing the same sh*t to others like yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)